S:flo2 impressions thread
Apr 7, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #3,151 of 3,682
As far as I know, from both my own listening as well as reading multiple RMAA test done on different forum, T51 / s:flo2 doesn't have any roll off at the bottom. There seems however some minor roll off at the top due to the low pass filter used in the DAC section, but mainly limits to headphone-out.

Apr 7, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #3,152 of 3,682

Quote:
i have tested teclast t51 and to me the low bass sounds rolled off until the point i can't really hear kick drum clearly. i'd say on t51 the bass is starting to cut-off around 40Hz region. what about s:flo2? is it having the same sound characteristic as t51 is?

What firmware and HO or LO?

Apr 7, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #3,154 of 3,682

Quote:
LO. after i confirmed it with the owner, the firmware is still the oldest one that came with the first batch when i tried it that time. why? does the s:flo2 firmware make difference to SQ?

Firmware before and after v2.2 (or is it v2.1? Can't remember exactly which) makes quite a noticeable difference. Don't know about anything before v2 but old T51 firmware tends to have a lot of problem.

Apr 7, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #3,155 of 3,682
Get the firmware updated. I usually EQ in a bit of extra bass just because of the music I listen to through the HO, although I was impressed at how much better I could get the same effect flat out the LO w/the Arrow's bass boost.

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #3,158 of 3,682

Quote:
Get the firmware updated. I usually EQ in a bit of extra bass just because of the music I listen to through the HO, although I was impressed at how much better I could get the same effect flat out the LO w/the Arrow's bass boost.

is the updated firmware will improve the bass as well if it was set to flat (no EQ) and connected via LO? my impression on the t51 lacks in bass still stand

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #3,159 of 3,682

Quote:

is the updated firmware will improve the bass as well if it was set to flat (no EQ) and connected via LO? my impression on the t51 lacks in bass still stand

So you have 2.3 on a T51 listening via LO?  What amp and phone are you using?  I'd like to see any graph showing bass roll-off anywhere below between 40-60hz on a kick drum.  Never heard it.

Apr 8, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #3,160 of 3,682

Quote:
So you have 2.3 on a T51 listening via LO?  What amp and phone are you using?  I'd like to see any graph showing bass roll-off anywhere below between 40-60hz on a kick drum.  Never heard it.

i think it's the older FW. i told you the t51 was the first batch and the FW was not upgraded at all when i tried it. sorry if my previous post gave you the wrong impression

i was using grado sr225i and superlux hd668b connected to indeed amp at the time, direct comparison with ipod via LO so i think i don't need to show you any graph to confirm what i was hearing at the time, i believe my own ears.

i could clearly hear that the t51 lacks the deeper bass compared to ipod video (both via LO)

Apr 8, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #3,161 of 3,682

Quote:
i think it's the older FW. i told you the t51 was the first batch and the FW was not upgraded at all when i tried it. i was using grado sr225i and superlux hd668b connected to indeed amp at the time, direct comparison with ipod LOD so i think i don't need to show you any graph to confirm what i was hearing at the time, besides, i don't have any. it was direct comparison

Ok, your last post was confusing.  Sounded like you said updated your T51 but it sounds the same.  Nvm.  Personally I never thought the 225 or even the RS1 to be particularly great in the low end myself.  I know the 668b stands for 'balanced' not bass so not sure on that either.  Perhaps you are used to hearing them with a source that is bassier than neutral?  Not sure.  Till you update your FW everything is speculative.  The biggest change in 2.3 was the sound signature.  Not sure if it was you but I feel like this topic was discussed months ago if not last year. 

Apr 8, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #3,162 of 3,682

Quote:
Ok, your last post was confusing.  Sounded like you said updated your T51 but it sounds the same.  Nvm.  Personally I never thought the 225 or even the RS1 to be particularly great in the low end myself.  I know the 668b stands for 'balanced' not bass so not sure on that either.  Perhaps you are used to hearing them with a source that is bassier than neutral?  Not sure.  Till you update your FW everything is speculative.  The biggest change in 2.3 was the sound signature.  Not sure if it was you but I feel like this topic was discussed months ago if not last year. 

definitely not me. yesterday was my first post in this thread. lol

thank you for the information, i'll try to audition the s:flo2 again with updated firmware. i'm curious with all these hypes i haven't been hearing when i tried the t51 last time

Apr 8, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #3,163 of 3,682
I got my S:flo2 yesterday and so far I am loving it. I was a bit disappointed at first listening. But then I started noticing changes in the sound signature after a while of listening. There's definitely a burn in period for this device. The HO alone beats my Sansa Fuze+LOD+Fiio E7 by a nice margin. I am listening to the device now with flac files connected via LO to my Fiio E9 and man it is amazing how good the line out sounds; it definitely fixes that treble roll off although the HO still sounds excellent in my opinion. It just requires a good amp to handle such power. I'm stuck between 2 portable amps at this point, either the Headstage Arrow 4G or the ALO Rx. Not sure if the ALO Rx is really worth that extra $150 in price though. Would the ALO Rx be a major upgrade from the Arrow, warranting that extra $150.00? Thanks.

Apr 8, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #3,164 of 3,682
I'd get the Arrow myself. I don't think from reading the RX is any better, just sounds a little different in presentation, but with the Arrow you get so much flexibility with things like the bass boost, which I can personally attest sounds MUCH better than bumping up the bass via the EQ controls on the player, and the 4G also has a treble boost and the other cool stuff. The Arrow is also crazy small as well, super thin, super light.

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #3,165 of 3,682

Quote:
I got my S:flo2 yesterday and so far I am loving it. I was a bit disappointed at first listening. But then I started noticing changes in the sound signature after a while of listening. There's definitely a burn in period for this device. The HO alone beats my Sansa Fuze+LOD+Fiio E7 by a nice margin. I am listening to the device now with flac files connected via LO to my Fiio E9 and man it is amazing how good the line out sounds; it definitely fixes that treble roll off although the HO still sounds excellent in my opinion. It just requires a good amp to handle such power. I'm stuck between 2 portable amps at this point, either the Headstage Arrow 4G or the ALO Rx. Not sure if the ALO Rx is really worth that extra $150 in price though. Would the ALO Rx be a major upgrade from the Arrow, warranting that extra $150.00? Thanks.

go get leckerton UHA-4, almost half the price, and as slim as arrow. seems underrated but very promising: http://www.leckertonaudio.com/products/uha-4/

people who have both arrow and UHA-4 says the sound quality is somehow comparable: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/536982/leckerton-audio-slimline-uha-4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back