S:flo2 impressions thread
May 22, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #3,226 of 3,682

Quote:
FWIW, in the Teclast stable is the upcoming T59, which is "intended" to be a higher-quality unit, with buttons, and is dedicated to audio-only. Can't comment on the battery life expectations as I haven't read anything about those projections, but we can all hope the firmware on the device will properly read album info, and sort A-Z. (Being optomistic here, but I think Teclast doesn't want to incur more flack for bad album sorting a second time around).

Does anyone when the Teclast T59 is coming out? I've tried to check but I haven't seen any release dates.

May 23, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #3,227 of 3,682

Amazing :wink:. Sure hope they learned their lesson this time though and not repeat history (Something we humans are prone to for some reason?)
Quote:
FWIW, in the Teclast stable is the upcoming T59, which is "intended" to be a higher-quality unit, with buttons, and is dedicated to audio-only. Can't comment on the battery life expectations as I haven't read anything about those projections, but we can all hope the firmware on the device will properly read album info, and sort A-Z. (Being optomistic here, but I think Teclast doesn't want to incur more flack for bad album sorting a second time around).

May 31, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #3,228 of 3,682
I have found a way to use the LO without using the equalizer.

What I basicly do is transcoding a flac/mp3 in ogg and then level the volume to 73 db (depending on your headpones, desired volume). Now I get a better quality sound then HO with the same volume.

I think this is a better way then using the equalizer. Although there might be some quality loss because of the transcoding.

Any opinions about this method?

Jun 1, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #3,229 of 3,682

Not sure if I understand. Are you using the line out without an amplifier? That is the point of using the line out as it bypasses the amp in the Sflo2. Since the update though the sflo2 sounds a lot better than with older firmwares so many can live with its internal amp. I prefer to use flac on the sflo2 as it is so revealing and shows the flaws of mp3s although you could get away with high bit mp3s. I use the UHA 4 amp with my Sflo2 with Sennheiser IE8s.
Quote:
I have found a way to use the LO without using the equalizer.

What I basicly do is transcoding a flac/mp3 in ogg and then level the volume to 73 db (depending on your headpones, desired volume). Now I get a better quality sound then HO with the same volume.

I think this is a better way then using the equalizer. Although there might be some quality loss because of the transcoding.

Any opinions about this method?

Jun 2, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #3,231 of 3,682
Yes I am using the LO without an amp. I think this method gives you more quality then using FLAC through HO. Even if there is a bit of quality loss when transcoding. The HO doesn't sound nearly as good as the LO. This is due to the burr brown opamp in LO versus the philips one in HO.

Jun 4, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #3,233 of 3,682

Quote:
Yes I am using the LO without an amp. I think this method gives you more quality then using FLAC through HO. Even if there is a bit of quality loss when transcoding. The HO doesn't sound nearly as good as the LO. This is due to the burr brown opamp in LO versus the philips one in HO.

I'm still confused though on your point about improving sound quality. Wouldn't just using flac files with equalizer set to normal or off be best?

Jun 4, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #3,234 of 3,682
For those that think the Sflo2 has bass rolloff, have a look.

http://www.markuskraus.com/RMAA/sflo2/data.htm
http://www.markuskraus.com/RMAA/clipplus/data.htm
http://www.markuskraus.com/RMAA/fuzeplus/data.htm
http://www.markuskraus.com/RMAA/j3/data.htm
http://www.markuskraus.com/RMAA/iPhone3gs/data.htm
http://www.markuskraus.com/RMAA/iPhone4/data.htm
http://www.markuskraus.com/RMAA/iPodTouch4GAlgoDACLeckertonUHA6S/data.htm

Bear in mind, the TF10 has a nutso impedance curve w/ its crossover setup so any setup ending w/ 10ohms output impedance or more will get devastated most likely.

Jun 4, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #3,235 of 3,682

Quote:

Those are some funky looking FR curve beside S:flo, Clip+ and CLAS + UHA6

Jun 4, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #3,236 of 3,682

Yeah I can't believe basically one review has made so many people think it has bass roll off. Stick a track like 'Woofer Cooker' (a subwoofer test track) on it and tell me you can't hear that 20-30hz rumble clearly, although admittedly you might need to boost the bass if you want it to be less of a background thing and more a 'zomg my ears are going to fall off!'.
Quote:
For those that think the Sflo2 has bass rolloff, have a look.
-snip-

Jun 4, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #3,237 of 3,682
Oh man i might have to get on the preorder list.  S:flo2 owners who have previously owned cowon D2+: how do they compare (SQ, ease of navigation, battery, general aesthetics)?  would you consider it an upgrade?  i love the d2+ SQ but i don't really care for the design of the unit itself, and i really dislike the navigation on it.

Jun 8, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #3,238 of 3,682
If anyone is in the UK/EU, I'm selling mine here. Purely for financial reasons as I want to help ease the pain of buying my Focal speakers as I had to pay for some other stuff and it's ended up costing more than I thought it would. Luckily I haven't been using portable stuff much lately so I won't have to settle for using something like my iPhone (3GS) which didn't compare to the S:Flo2. Ah well, material things come and go.

Jun 8, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #3,239 of 3,682

Quote:
Oh man i might have to get on the preorder list.  S:flo2 owners who have previously owned cowon D2+: how do they compare (SQ, ease of navigation, battery, general aesthetics)?  would you consider it an upgrade?  i love the d2+ SQ but i don't really care for the design of the unit itself, and i really dislike the navigation on it.

I've never owned a cowon but from what I have read regarding the product, it is very good when you take the equalization into account. But from a sound quality stand point if you combind the sansa fuze or ipod touch with a decent amp via line out dock they will beat the cowon. The cowon has a decent amp but I doubt it will compare to an sflo2. My iphon4 and sansa fuze sound great via line out dock but they still don't compare to my sflo2, and that's even without using the line out feature on the sflo2. So if you are concerned with sound quality mainly the sflo2 is a bargain. You just have to get use to the UI and touch screen. Although I'm not pleased that Telecast couldn't have fixed these issues before even releasing this product, I still think its worth the patience due to the outstanding sound quality.

Jun 8, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #3,240 of 3,682
The most annoying feature for me was the way it doesn't put things in the correct order. It's a PITA having to use DriveSort or similar software to force your music into alphabetical order, and even then it only works with Directory browsing so you have to name all your files '01 - xxxx', '02 - xxxx' and things like that. Playlists would have been very useful too, as browsing by directory means you have to keep going into the menus if you want to listen to something different unless you've just created a jukebox list of files and have set play order to random.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back