S:flo2 impressions thread
Jun 30, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #3,256 of 3,682
Good to hear Lee. All in all it has been what 2 months and a half of waiting ?

Jul 4, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #3,257 of 3,682
Yes it's been quite some time since I've had my sflo2 but now I may be having yet another issue :frowning2: How long is an sflo2 suppose to take to fully charge from fully empty? I've been following the recommended cycles of fully charging to compoets drains ( this will be my fourh cycle already). The problem seems to be the amount of time it's taking to fully charge this device. Yesterday it took over 7 hours to fully charge my sflo2. Mind you this is while charging with the supplied wall charger from mp4nation. I was curious to see if it's just the charger so I'm testing using another wall charger I have, but it's still taking long to charge. Right now it's 12:01am in Hawaii and I've had it plugged in since 7:00pm and it's showing as 3 bars charged so far. I remember my other sflo2 taking maybe a bit over 3 hours to fully charge. Am I wrong on this guys? Thanks. If this is another defective device and mp4nation does not fix this issue without having to make me wait months again, plus making me pay money to ship; I will never do business with them again. I may just opt for the Hifiman 601 and be done wih this.

Jul 4, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #3,258 of 3,682
What charger did you use to charge the sflo2?

Quote:
Yes it's been quite some time since I've had my sflo2 but now I may be having yet another issue
frown.gif
How long is an sflo2 suppose to take to fully charge from fully empty? I've been following the recommended cycles of fully charging to compoets drains ( this will be my fourh cycle already). The problem seems to be the amount of time it's taking to fully charge this device. Yesterday it took over 7 hours to fully charge my sflo2. Mind you this is while charging with the supplied wall charger from mp4nation. I was curious to see if it's just the charger so I'm testing using another wall charger I have, but it's still taking long to charge. Right now it's 12:01am in Hawaii and I've had it plugged in since 7:00pm and it's showing as 3 bars charged so far. I remember my other sflo2 taking maybe a bit over 3 hours to fully charge. Am I wrong on this guys? Thanks. If this is another defective device and mp4nation does not fix this issue without having to make me wait months again, plus making me pay money to ship; I will never do business with them again. I may just opt for the Hifiman 601 and be done wih this.

Jul 4, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #3,259 of 3,682

Quote:
What charger did you use to charge the sflo2?

I used the one that mp4 nation gave me to charge it. It is a wall charger that was provided from mp4nation (they sell the sflo2s). I also have a wall charger that has 2 usb slots that can be hooked into it and used that to see if maybe my other charger was the issue. It took about 8 h ours to charge again on the other wall charger so I know there is an issue with the battery on this device. There's no way 2 of my chargers are defective. I never had this issue with the other Sflo2 which was sent back as well for defects. MP4Nation should be ashamed of themselves for selling faulty products like this. There is obviously poor quality control for these devices. Even a friend who I recommended to buy an Sflo2 ended up having to open up his Sflo2 when it hard locked and he wasn't able to reset it with the reset buttons (including those holes on the side of the device). Come to find the device was full of saw dust like debris. It was filthy inside.

Jul 4, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #3,260 of 3,682
Hi, why don't you contact mp4 and see what they say?

Mine is a Teclast T51 which is the same thing, it has been drop so many time on solid ground and still works. I have it for almost 1 year, no software issues, no hardware issues. I navigate well after getting use to the GUI. Being electronics, there will always be bad components and faulty parts. That is why the source we buy, after sales and warranty is important.

I have a Sony walkman and yes, there are software bugs and other abnormally too I must say.

Quote:
I used the one that mp4 nation gave me to charge it. It is a wall charger that was provided from mp4nation (they sell the sflo2s). I also have a wall charger that has 2 usb slots that can be hooked into it and used that to see if maybe my other charger was the issue. It took about 8 h ours to charge again on the other wall charger so I know there is an issue with the battery on this device. There's no way 2 of my chargers are defective. I never had this issue with the other Sflo2 which was sent back as well for defects. MP4Nation should be ashamed of themselves for selling faulty products like this. There is obviously poor quality control for these devices. Even a friend who I recommended to buy an Sflo2 ended up having to open up his Sflo2 when it hard locked and he wasn't able to reset it with the reset buttons (including those holes on the side of the device). Come to find the device was full of saw dust like debris. It was filthy inside.

Jul 4, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #3,261 of 3,682

That's good to hear that you aren't having issues with yours. I did contact mp4nation regarding this and I did send an angry email to razzer regarding this as well. I contacted him in the past with my first faulty Sflo2 (it looked like it was thrown off the roof by the damage that it came with, defects in the screen and a failing battery that didn't last 4 hours per charge.) Mind you all these issues are straight from the box which is supposedly brand new. This is my second Sflo2 which has taken almost 3 months to get back from China and its having issues right out of the box (again). There is no excuse for this at all and it is very frustrating. BTW I was asking how long it takes for you to charge your T5/Sflo:2. I know 8 hours it not reasonable. That's as long as the battery last on each charge. And yes I know there will be times when you have issues with electronics out of the box and that is why we have a warranty. But this is ridiculous, 2 times in a row on a brand new item? And having to wait several months to just get the problem fixed is not acceptable. Please don't be defending them on this as its wrong. It's great that you are able to drop your item several times on the ground and have it still work. Me, I take really good care of my stuff. I keep the Sflo2 in an iphone 4 rubber case from square trade, and I also have an iphone 4 screen protector on it to protect it from scratches. So I really do take care of my stuff and think ahead.
Quote:
Hi, why don't you contact mp4 and see what they say?

Mine is a Teclast T51 which is the same thing, it has been drop so many time on solid ground and still works. I have it for almost 1 year, no software issues, no hardware issues. I navigate well after getting use to the GUI. Being electronics, there will always be bad components and faulty parts. That is why the source we buy, after sales and warranty is important.

I have a Sony walkman and yes, there are software bugs and other abnormally too I must say.

Jul 5, 2011 at 7:09 AM Post #3,262 of 3,682
Hi, I actually did not notice how long the T51 charge from flat to 100% but for sure it is not 8hrs or 4hrs. I am guessing maybe 1-2hr? I really don't know I'll try to find out the next time.

I have no comment about mp4 but reading from many experience, slip of delivery etc I just don't feel I should give them my business.
I ordered from House of DAP and receive the item fast with latest firmware.

Quote:
That's good to hear that you aren't having issues with yours. I did contact mp4nation regarding this and I did send an angry email to razzer regarding this as well. I contacted him in the past with my first faulty Sflo2 (it looked like it was thrown off the roof by the damage that it came with, defects in the screen and a failing battery that didn't last 4 hours per charge.) Mind you all these issues are straight from the box which is supposedly brand new. This is my second Sflo2 which has taken almost 3 months to get back from China and its having issues right out of the box (again). There is no excuse for this at all and it is very frustrating. BTW I was asking how long it takes for you to charge your T5/Sflo:2. I know 8 hours it not reasonable. That's as long as the battery last on each charge. And yes I know there will be times when you have issues with electronics out of the box and that is why we have a warranty. But this is ridiculous, 2 times in a row on a brand new item? And having to wait several months to just get the problem fixed is not acceptable. Please don't be defending them on this as its wrong. It's great that you are able to drop your item several times on the ground and have it still work. Me, I take really good care of my stuff. I keep the Sflo2 in an iphone 4 rubber case from square trade, and I also have an iphone 4 screen protector on it to protect it from scratches. So I really do take care of my stuff and think ahead.

Jul 5, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #3,263 of 3,682

They just responded to me and said it should take up to 4 hours at most to charge, which I still think its a bit over what it should be. I think its 3 hours to fully charge at least when compared to my last Sflo2. The only reason I gave them my business was because they offered a 16GB model. I am not a fan of switching out SD cards so I tried to maximize the amount of flac I can get onto one single unit. I am regretting this now though. The only issue about the Hifi model if that they don't offer the 601 in 16 GB only the super expensive 602, which I don't think the DAC is worth it. I think my DACport LX would wipe the floor with the DAC in the 602. Funny thing is my DACport is also in for repair (man the God of electronics must be punishing me :wink:.
Quote:
Hi, I actually did not notice how long the T51 charge from flat to 100% but for sure it is not 8hrs or 4hrs. I am guessing maybe 1-2hr? I really don't know I'll try to find out the next time.

I have no comment about mp4 but reading from many experience, slip of delivery etc I just don't feel I should give them my business.
I ordered from House of DAP and receive the item fast with latest firmware.

Jul 27, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #3,264 of 3,682
MP4NATION has sent me a new charger to further troubleshoot the issue. I already know its an issue between the USB port in the Sflo2 to its battery. I think its not detecting (if that's possible) that a higher powered source is plugged into the device and only allowing it to charge at computer USB speeds thus the 8 hours charge times. So once I get the charger and prove this is not the cause of the issue (as I have other chargers that have proven this other than the one provided from MP4NATION already) I will demand for a replacement before I ship out this one.

Jul 29, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #3,266 of 3,682

Quote:
may i know battery life...

If you are asking the what the battery life is it should range from 8 hours to 10 maximum. Usually 8 hours if you are lucky and that is for both flac and mp3 files although I would think mp3 would last a tad longer since they are smaller files. Although the battery life isn't wonderful, for flac use its actually half decent as most other player don't last that long either playing flac files and they don't produce the audio quality that the Sflo2 does. My issue right now though is how long my battery is taking to charge and I'm hoping I can get this resolved soon.

Jul 30, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #3,267 of 3,682
I hated my first gen S:flo, audio quality wise it was just crap against my Nokia 5800 XpressMusic, and utter rubbish against my current Nokia C7, maybe I had a defective unit sold it years ago on ebay shortly after buying it. But I learnt that your playback device is just as important as the headphones. The same is true for computer audio, my creative X-Fi just sounds better than any gen of the Realtek "HD" audio no matter what marketing babble they wrap it in.

Jul 30, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #3,268 of 3,682

Quote:
I hated my first gen S:flo, audio quality wise it was just crap against my Nokia 5800 XpressMusic, and utter rubbish against my current Nokia C7, maybe I had a defective unit sold it years ago on ebay shortly after buying it. But I learnt that your playback device is just as important as the headphones. The same is true for computer audio, my creative X-Fi just sounds better than any gen of the Realtek "HD" audio no matter what marketing babble they wrap it in.

The "first gen s:flo" is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ANIMAL than the T51/s:flo2. What you're doing is akin to calling a device with an integrated CODEC chip "basically the same" as an entirely different device with ACTUAL top of the line Stereo DACs, in dual mono (one for each channel) and high quality opamps which handle the two audio chains in the device. Thats kind of like saying a Cowon or Hisound or HiFiMAN DAP sucks because you once didn't like the infereor Creative DAP you once tried out.

I hope you take this as a simple pointing out that the difference in part and sound quality is apples to coconuts with regard to the difference between the "first gen s:flo" (Teclast T50). The T50 was primarily a low end video PMP, while the T51 is primarily a nice (despite a slow UI) audio DAP with good video capabilities.

Here are links to the Wolfson Audio components in the T50 (old s:flo) (still available apparently, here is the link to affordablehomeelectronics.com) the WM8987, and the info page at MP4Nation (scroll down the page a ways) on the T51/s:flo2, and the WM8740, the OPA2604, and the |pp=[t=pip,i=TDA1308]]TDA1308 parts.

My purpose for this post is to keep folks from being confused by the unfair comparison of the old T50/s:flo to the new T51/s:flo2. That's simply an unfair comparison.

Jul 30, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #3,270 of 3,682

Quote:
Sorry didn't want to badmouth the s:flo2, just saying the first one was not a good device from my point of view. It was marketed to me as comparable audio quality to the ipod of that time which simply wasn't true.

@Blinxat,

No biggie. I hope I didn't come across too harshly, I wasn't making an issue of your impressions, just pointing out the technical differences between the two devices and their components, so folks didn't get confused is all.

Peace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back