S:flo2 impressions thread
Jul 31, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #3,271 of 3,682

Quote:
I hated my first gen S:flo, audio quality wise it was just crap against my Nokia 5800 XpressMusic, and utter rubbish against my current Nokia C7, maybe I had a defective unit sold it years ago on ebay shortly after buying it. But I learnt that your playback device is just as important as the headphones. The same is true for computer audio, my creative X-Fi just sounds better than any gen of the Realtek "HD" audio no matter what marketing babble they wrap it in.

As far as i know, this company never produces any high quality dedicated music device until it comes to S:FLO2,  personally I wont get my hopes up for any devices made before S:FLO2. I also believe the SQ difference is huge. From comparison of players I ever owned, S:FLO2 stands a very solid place even competing with other high end players which cost 100 bucks more than it.

Aug 1, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #3,273 of 3,682
Exactly, I feel the Hifiman 601 would be a good contender yet its sound signature is significantly different from that of the Sflo2.

Aug 1, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #3,274 of 3,682
HiFiMan 601 is an ugly brick that doesn't match jeans pockets, and for THIS piece of vintage hardware I have to pay over 200$ ? No thanks ! Yes, it does sound good, but it fails everything else related to 21'th century portable audio (same for 801 DAP). Teclast T51 / SFlo2 is much more ergonomic and great looking, and it sounds good indeed. HiFiMan sucks... 

Aug 2, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #3,275 of 3,682

Quote:
HiFiMan 601 is an ugly brick that doesn't match jeans pockets, and for THIS piece of vintage hardware I have to pay over 200$ ? No thanks ! Yes, it does sound good, but it fails everything else related to 21'th century portable audio (same for 801 DAP). Teclast T51 / SFlo2 is much more ergonomic and great looking, and it sounds good indeed. HiFiMan sucks... 

lol I guess the looks of the player is subjective. In my opinion the 601 looks nice in the adds but I've never seen one in person yet so maybe it is butt ugly, then again I kinda like that retro look. The 801 definitely looks horrendous. Someone is likely to think you are a terrorist with a bomb carrying that thing around lol
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 2, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #3,276 of 3,682
Hello All,

Just a quick question for some curiosity that's come up for me...

Currently using the s:flo2 --> DHC "nucleotide" UP-OCC Copper IC --> FiiO E11 --> (ATH-ESW9A <cans>, Pioneer SE-L40 <cans>, SoundMAGIC PL50 <BA IEM>)

I'd like to hear from anybody about their experiences on synergy with the s:flo2 and (VSonic GR07, Victor/JVC HA-FX700, YUIN: OK1, PK1, G1A)...

Feel free to respond in thread, OR PM me if you think it would clutter up the thread.

I'd appreciate any input. Thanks. :-D

Aug 2, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #3,277 of 3,682
At least with VSonic GR07 I can assure , the synergy is not great. It works anyway (well enough) because there are few DAP-s actually capable of beating S:Flo2 SQ, but this earphone have very flat, stage-monitoring sound, that combined with S:Flo2 highly neutral signature isn't the most exciting experience.

On HiFiMan 601, for instance, the synergy is perfect, really, it is on pair with my DT880's  setup, but the question is, who's gonna spend 250$ for a huge, ugly brick that sings barely 7 hours from charge to charge. 

Aug 2, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #3,278 of 3,682

But isn't the Sflo2 out of the headphone out a bit warm and rolled off in the highs? I know through the grape vine that the 601 is even warmer though but it also lacks in the highs through its headphone out. Not sure about through the line out though. The sflo2 is wonderful through the line out and still very nice through its headphones out, just different sound signatures; a plus in my opinion.
Quote:
At least with VSonic GR07 I can assure , the synergy is not great. It works anyway (well enough) because there are few DAP-s actually capable of beating S:Flo2 SQ, but this earphone have very flat, stage-monitoring sound, that combined with S:Flo2 highly neutral signature isn't the most exciting experience.

On HiFiMan 601, for instance, the synergy is perfect, really, it is on pair with my DT880's  setup, but the question is, who's gonna spend 250$ for a huge, ugly brick that sings barely 7 hours from charge to charge. 

Aug 2, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #3,279 of 3,682
Rolled off highs ? Compared to my Cowon Iaudio 7 it has bright highs. No, may be there is some roll-off , but it's really minor. Anyway T51/SFlo2 has glorious sound for a DAP, that combined with medium size, good looking construction and low price consinsts a really great DAP, the only complain remains crappy touch screen and battery below 15 hours. Anyway I can still live with my Iaudio 7 / GR07 combo (as these earphones are quite sensitive).Still can't wait for the upcoming  Fiio X3 / Teclast T59  Audiophile players. I don't mind paying over 200$ for a good, well sized DAP. The only reason I had not bought a SFlo2 yet is Fiio.  

Aug 2, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #3,280 of 3,682
Yeah it does have some roll of through its headphone out but none at all through the line out. So in a way its nice because you have 2 flavors to chose from in one package. I may be getting the Fiio myself depending on impressions. If it could replace my fuze with its portability and sound quality on the go. Do you really think the T59 will be released? I thought that was just a prototype, at least according to what razzer said.

Aug 2, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #3,281 of 3,682
The rolled off highs were fixed after the latest update, this is one of the most linear portable DAPs there is. Problem is it's channel imbalance. 

Aug 3, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #3,282 of 3,682

Quote:
The rolled off highs were fixed after the latest update, this is one of the most linear portable DAPs there is. Problem is it's channel imbalance

^  This.

Aug 3, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #3,284 of 3,682

Quote:
And the waiting time .... I'm clocking at 8 weeks since my RMA, and no sign of the pmp coming back at me.

@frenchbat: Don't get all stressed over it... Since the units go back to the factory (Teclast, China) for testing/repairs it can take SOME time. My RMA took over 2 months. I inquired what's with the huge wait, and a response was there was a difficult to fix problem with my unit. In the end, they sent me a replacement, which I am sure of since it didn't have the corner ding on the back of the shell I had put on my s:flo2 in a fall.

In the meantime, cozy up to another player for the wait. That strategy sure beats staying annoyed for the wait. :wink:

P.S. though the turnaround is SLOW, MP4Nation does make good on getting a unit back to you.

Aug 3, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #3,285 of 3,682

Yeah but in my case both my unites are defective on arrival which is total bs. I'm gonna have to send the unit back once again because the battery takes 8 hours to fully charge. My last unit took 3 hours to charge but it came with defectives in the screen and it was damaged all over like someone dropped it off a roof (out of the box). I'm wondering if I should give hifiman a try, this really isn't right, 2 times in a row?
Quote:
@frenchbat: Don't get all stressed over it... Since the units go back to the factory (Teclast, China) for testing/repairs it can take SOME time. My RMA took over 2 months. I inquired what's with the huge wait, and a response was there was a difficult to fix problem with my unit. In the end, they sent me a replacement, which I am sure of since it didn't have the corner ding on the back of the shell I had put on my s:flo2 in a fall.

In the meantime, cozy up to another player for the wait. That strategy sure beats staying annoyed for the wait. :wink:

P.S. though the turnaround is SLOW, MP4Nation does make good on getting a unit back to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back