RSA SR71b, quad mono balanced. img. 1 & 17 Review pg 32, 34, 68, UPDATED 4/2013 for Improved sound.
Dec 5, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #811 of 1,194
Quote:
Oh if you only knew my circumstances! No deep pockets here, just as I said before, no car, no mortgage, no debt, no smoking or going out at all (except for a coffee) You would be amazed how much people spend on stuff that is fleeting. I just choose to spend it on stuff that lasts! And the Rockies are a trade with a Magazine for a travel article I wrote for them!
When one thinks outside the box it is amazing what one can do with very little cash!

Yep, no cigars would save me money...  but I would miss them.

Dec 6, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #812 of 1,194
Yep, no cigars would save me money...  but I would miss them.

Hey we all have things we love mate. I have never smoked so there is nothing to miss, each to his own I say! eestreeter has brought this up before so I just wanted to make it clear where I come from on this.

Dec 6, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #813 of 1,194
Googleli,

LCD-2 were my primary cans for a long time but I occasionally use them with not-so-portable rig (CLAS + SR-71B), largely due to Rob, Laszlo (Warp08) and Jude's recommendation. LCD-2 are still part of my home rig but the fact is that I recently acquired Audio-Technica's ANV combo and they have become my "primary".

My truly-portable rig (whipmod + pico slim) is intended for IEMs only as I strictly use this setup on the go. I have no interest wearing big headphones outside.

Dec 6, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #814 of 1,194
Same here dude... LCD2 is now my transportable headphone... Used when I go on trips and stuff I bring it along with CLAS and a portable amp. For "on the go" purpose I always just use iPhone and IEM. I am still waiting for the Thunderpants to complete - once done it will be my second full-sized portable headphone. Honestly I seldom listen to my T5p now after getting used to my LCDs and 009.

Dec 6, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #815 of 1,194
@ian

I see you are sellings the stepdance... I assume you fell in love with SR-71B?

Where's the review/comparison? :)

Dec 6, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #816 of 1,194
@ian

I see you are sellings the stepdance... I assume you fell in love with SR-71B?

Where's the review/comparison? :)

Hi.
Yes the Stepdance is up for sale. I just feel for me, the sound of the blackbird just edges out the stepdance, nothing negative about the stepdance. I loved and and still do and hopefully whomever buys it will love it. I am not a collector of things, never have been. So to have two amps is redundant. I would much rather now have someone else get the enjoyment out of it.

I am waiting to post my review. I have taken notes in the single ended comparison but am waiting till my balanced cable arrives (today or tomorrow) to complete the comparison test. I will have that done by the end of the month or early January as I want it to be in-depth, also I want the blackbird to be fully burned in.

Dec 6, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #817 of 1,194
looking forward to reading :) 

Quote:
Hi.
Yes the Stepdance is up for sale. I just feel for me, the sound of the blackbird just edges out the stepdance, nothing negative about the stepdance. I loved and and still do and hopefully whomever buys it will love it. I am not a collector of things, never have been. So to have two amps is redundant. I would much rather now have someone else get the enjoyment out of it.
I am waiting to post my review. I have taken notes in the single ended comparison but am waiting till my balanced cable arrives (today or tomorrow) to complete the comparison test. I will have that done by the end of the month or early January as I want it to be in-depth, also I want the blackbird to be fully burned in.

Dec 7, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #818 of 1,194
I can't believe how great the combination of the LCD-2 and the 71b are. I use it almost always in balanced but also enjoy the SE of the 71b as well. Very well defined with nice layering and separation. 

Dec 7, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #819 of 1,194
I can't believe how great the combination of the LCD-2 and the 71b are. I use it almost always in balanced but also enjoy the SE of the 71b as well. Very well defined with nice layering and separation. 

I could not agree more. They are perfect synergy together wether listening single ended or balanced. I have just received my balanced cable from eBay and will post in the cable thread about my experiences thus far.

Dec 7, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #820 of 1,194
ianmedium, I hope you have funds set aside for the RX Mk3 - the good news is that you wont have to recable your headphones to be able to write a comparative review of the Mk3 and 71B. I shall now retire to my private dance studio for the Happy Dance. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #821 of 1,194
ianmedium, I hope you have funds set aside for the RX Mk3 - the good news is that you wont have to recable your headphones to be able to write a comparative review of the Mk3 and 71B. I shall now retire to my private dance studio for the Happy Dance. 
biggrin.gif

I love Aussie humour! You will be bereft to know my journey ends here in terms of portable HiFi. I have no desire to up-grade anymore, well one thing only, to get my Etymotics cable configured to balanced mode.
Other than that I am done, happy as Larry (or curly and Mo) content to watch others now proceed with the march of time and progression of technology. I am now a fully payed up member of the flat earth society and hair shirt brigade :D

I think it is time for you to admit to us all that you are indeed the wealthiest man in Australia and go out and buy a rig to put us all to shame!!

Dec 7, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #822 of 1,194
I said that to myself again and again and again and again and again, yet...

Quote:
I love Aussie humour! You will be bereft to know my journey ends here in terms of portable HiFi. I have no desire to up-grade anymore, well one thing only, to get my Etymotics cable configured to balanced mode.
Other than that I am done, happy as Larry (or curly and Mo) content to watch others now proceed with the march of time and progression of technology. I am now a fully payed up member of the flat earth society and hair shirt brigade
biggrin.gif

I think it is time for you to admit to us all that you are indeed the wealthiest man in Australia and go out and buy a rig to put us all to shame!!

Dec 7, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #823 of 1,194
I said that to myself again and again and again and again and again, yet...

I know, I know. But the portable route is covered now. I am moving back to Europe next year so will have a proper home again which means....

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #824 of 1,194
Sorry to hear that - we shall push on in your absence, particularly with that part about becoming the wealthiest man in Australia. Apparently you just have to buy the right abandoned mine at the right time, and the rest will be history. I look forward to your review of the latest kit from Leben and Woo Audio.

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #825 of 1,194
Sorry to hear that - we shall push on in your absence, particularly with that part about becoming the wealthiest man in Australia. Apparently you just have to buy the right abandoned mine at the right time, and the rest will be history. I look forward to your review of the latest kit from Leben and Woo Audio.

Ahh no, it will be British Kit when I get over there. I used to have a lovely system in the UK many years ago. I am looking forward to exploring the British HiFi scene once more.

See, I knew I was right, you have a gold and Opal mine in your backyard.. Of course being Australia your back yard is the size of a small country!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back