RSA SR71b, quad mono balanced. img. 1 & 17 Review pg 32, 34, 68, UPDATED 4/2013 for Improved sound.
Nov 29, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #781 of 1,194
Just be aware that you will have to do burn-in again when you get the balanced cable as you are only using half the amp in single ended mode. And going balanced will take you to what is the purpose of the amp so something to look forward to

Nov 29, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #782 of 1,194
Just be aware that you will have to do burn-in again when you get the balanced cable as you are only using half the amp in single ended mode. And going balanced will take you to what is the purpose of the amp so something to look forward to

Thanks, I just remembered that!

Nov 30, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #783 of 1,194

Nov 30, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #784 of 1,194
I have about five hours on the blackbird since I got it this afternoon so still very early and of course I am listening single ended rather than balanced until my balanced cable arrives, Stock LCD cable with a Grado adaptor.

I have to say that having used the Stepdance extensively and as many of you know, very enthusiastically for a year now, that the blackbird in my opinion bests it even in single ended mode from what I am hearing. For instance. listening to Ganges Delta Blues by Ry Cooder and VM Bhatt. A track I have heard countless times since I got the album over 15 years ago the Blackbird is allowing far more transparency.

When I changed interconnects recently to silver I noticed that the note on the tabla was sustained a little longer. Listening now with the Blackbird I realize the sustain is in fact the note bouncing off the recording studio wall and coming back! It is so obvious, I have never heard this before!

The blackbird gives an incredible amount of detail in the acoustic space. I am really scratching my head in wonderment at this and can't begin to imagine what it is going to be like with the balanced cable in place!

You know, this amp reminds me of another American Amp, this time full sized.. Krell. It has amazing control of the acoustic which allow one to relax more into the music, the ride is wonderful!

Ray is a 100% certified genius!

Nov 30, 2011 at 5:38 AM Post #785 of 1,194

Quote:
My Sr71-b has landed! It is at this moment charging, balanced HP cables are ordered and should be here within two weeks!

Congrats!

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:25 AM Post #786 of 1,194
My own feeling for portable amps for the LCD3 is:  Stepdance (15V) > SR71A > SR71B. SR71B has that slight brightness on both my ALO Audio balanced cable and the Norse Litz balanced cable. It gives a more holographic soundstage though. The SR71A is a bit more neutral, with better slam and dynamics. but both of them do not match Stepdance's dynamics / instrument separation and naturalness IMO, when the Stepdance is properly regulated at 15V.

Nov 30, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #787 of 1,194
My own feeling for portable amps for the LCD3 is:  Stepdance (15V) > SR71A > SR71B. SR71B has that slight brightness on both my ALO Audio balanced cable and the Norse Litz balanced cable. It gives a more holographic soundstage though. The SR71A is a bit more neutral, with better slam and dynamics. but both of them do not match Stepdance's dynamics / instrument separation and naturalness IMO, when the Stepdance is properly regulated at 15V.

It is interesting how equipment synergy is so important. My Stepdance as you know has the 15 v mod and with the LCD2 I find the blackbird improves upon dynamics, separation and naturalness over the Stepdance, it's interesting it does not do that with the 3!

I am tied to portable for the foreseable future due to the nature of my life and work so I am glad I have my rev1's. I also find that creaminess you and I both love with the "2"s just is so much nicer with the blackbird.

Nov 30, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #788 of 1,194
Yes when I first listened to the SR71B it had that very airy feeling as well but more and more it sounded bright to me. Not sure if it is an effect of burn in or my brain not getting used the sound. For the LCD3 I find it more natural driven from single ended portables (SR71A / Stepdance) than balanced from the SR71B.

Nov 30, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #789 of 1,194

Quote:
I have about five hours on the blackbird since I got it this afternoon so still very early and of course I am listening single ended rather than balanced until my balanced cable arrives, Stock LCD cable with a Grado adaptor.
I have to say that having used the Stepdance extensively and as many of you know, very enthusiastically for a year now, that the blackbird in my opinion bests it even in single ended mode from what I am hearing. For instance. listening to Ganges Delta Blues by Ry Cooder and VM Bhatt. A track I have heard countless times since I got the album over 15 years ago the Blackbird is allowing far more transparency.
When I changed interconnects recently to silver I noticed that the note on the tabla was sustained a little longer. Listening now with the Blackbird I realize the sustain is in fact the note bouncing off the recording studio wall and coming back! It is so obvious, I have never heard this before!
The blackbird gives an incredible amount of detail in the acoustic space. I am really scratching my head in wonderment at this and can't begin to imagine what it is going to be like with the balanced cable in place!
You know, this amp reminds me of another American Amp, this time full sized.. Krell. It has amazing control of the acoustic which allow one to relax more into the music, the ride is wonderful!
Ray is a 100% certified genius!

Hauntingly familiar to some of your early feedback on the Stepdance, where Jan was a certified genius. It must be contagious.

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #790 of 1,194
To all SR71B users, have you experienced a period where it sounded bright say around after 50 hours of burn in? I am wondering whether mor burn in can solve the problem.

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #791 of 1,194
Hauntingly familiar to some of your early feedback on the Stepdance, where Jan was a certified genius. It must be contagious.

I fully admit to being passionate. Also I admit to acknowledging that when I try something new. I know it can come across as , Oh boy how can I take his word for anything he likes everything!

For the record I think JH monitors are not worth the money,Most sennhieser's not to my liking as with Beyer and Audio Technica. I tend to not talk about those as I don't end up buying them, I only buy what I like or think I stand a good chance of liking.

I truly loved Jans amp, still do but I have now heard something that for me surpasses it. I actually think that both these folks are indeed in that category as they produce the best of the best. Before I heard the blackbird I thought it might be a little too expensive, now I am listening to it I don't think that way!

I don't go through kit like most folks here, it takes me longer to save for each piece so I tend to research a great deal before biting the bullet. I was all set for the L3 but went this way after months of thinking about it, just like the LCD's I tried Beyers, HD800 D7000 and Ultrasones. None did it for me. I don't write about it as I prefer to write about something I like.

Just wanted to clear that up so folks know where I am coming from. BTW, I have many strings to my bow one of which is writing travel articles. I follow the same approach. I see no point trashing a place if I don't like it as others may like it. I would much rather bring out the great points of a place i love. I have had many readers over the years write and thank me for praising a place as they have then gone on to enjoy it themselves rather than not going to a place I trashed!

Also, my experiences are first hand. You'll never find me trashing anything I have not personally experienced. As it happens I spent a lovely twenty minutes on the phone to Ray this morning asking about charging and battery length. He really is a great guy and so knowledgeable an willing to listen and help. I really like that. Positive person, positive product I find!

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #792 of 1,194
I still think Jan could take him, if he hadn't lapsed into semi-retirement. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #793 of 1,194
I still think Jan could take him, if he hadn't lapsed into semi-retirement. 
biggrin.gif

:D vors sprung durch technique as the say in Germany.. And you have to be really old to get that one! :D

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #794 of 1,194
Please share with us the charging. Is it ok to connect the DC adaptor to the SR71B 7X24?

Dec 1, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #795 of 1,194
Please share with us the charging. Is it ok to connect the DC adaptor to the SR71B 7X24?

Ray said that it is fine to listen with the unit connected to the adaptor. He didn't say about 24/7 though. I must admit I tend to only have things plugged into the mains if I am using them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back