RSA SR71b, quad mono balanced. img. 1 & 17 Review pg 32, 34, 68, UPDATED 4/2013 for Improved sound.
Dec 1, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #796 of 1,194
Thanks. Coz I am going to start a second round of serious run in of the SR71B (and the Norse SR71B new cable for the LCD3) pretty soon.

Dec 1, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #797 of 1,194
Thanks. Coz I am going to start a second round of serious run in of the SR71B (and the Norse SR71B new cable for the LCD3) pretty soon.

Ray also said that the Blackbird should be performing at it's optimum after 60 hours. Hope that helps.

Dec 1, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #798 of 1,194
At this point I've decided out of all my portable amps that the SR-71b will be the last one I ever sell.  It's just so darned versatile, and in balanced mode can keep up with many desktop amps.  I used to think that way of my P-51, but this adds desktop power levels to the mix.

Dec 2, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #800 of 1,194
I don't recall having brightness of sound with the 71b but for certain, I do not have it now. And, I would use it as a desktop. It goes great with the LCD-2 in balanced as well as the rest of my phones. 

Dec 2, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #801 of 1,194
I also don't recall any brightness at any time

Dec 2, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #802 of 1,194

Quote:
I also don't recall any brightness at any time

I expect that a lot of us tend to blame the amp for 'brightness' when its the source/phones. Headfonia Mike makes a good point re modern music being mastered for speakers, resulting in an inherently bright sound signature when we listen with headphones.

Dec 3, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #803 of 1,194

Quote:
I expect that a lot of us tend to blame the amp for 'brightness' when its the source/phones. Headfonia Mike makes a good point re modern music being mastered for speakers, resulting in an inherently bright sound signature when we listen with headphones.

honestly that doesnt make a lot of sense to me. headphones are one of the devices that any half decent technician will use for the final mastering stage. often a producer will test with a set of alesis monitor ones, or similarly generic reference monitor, their own favorite high end monitor, headphones and a crappy bass boosted or otherwise consumer type setup.

I think its much more likely you'll find that if anything this will be MORE the case today due to the vast majority of music listening that people do on a daily basis is headphones. often crappy headphones, but headphones all the same.

Dec 5, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #804 of 1,194
I already sold my SR-71B because I'm honestly not fully satisfied with LCD-2 in balanced mode. They sound great but I do notice the "brightness" issue mentioned by googeli. I'll wait and buy the ALO Rx Mk3 once available to see if its balanced mode does a better job.

Dec 5, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #805 of 1,194

Quote:
I already sold my SR-71B because I'm honestly not fully satisfied with LCD-2 in balanced mode. They sound great but I do notice the "brightness" issue mentioned by googeli. I'll wait and buy the ALO Rx Mk3 once available to see if its balanced mode does a better job.

Sir, I envy your deep pockets  
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #806 of 1,194

Dude, I can't help but ask you about your signature, do you actually use the LCD2 as portable headphone?
Quote:

Dec 5, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #808 of 1,194
Not to mention the CLAS and 5 other devices in the chain ...... !

Like I said, very deep pockets.

Believe it or not my rig has downsized now I am using the blackbird, no external battery or cable! I will be taking my LCD's with me on my vacation to the Rockies this month. Another great reason to get the LCD's with the plastic carry case!

Dec 5, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #809 of 1,194
Sure, but you're another one with deep pockets - I can only assume that your destination in the Rockies is some kind of convention for folks with mountains of cash, ianmedium ! 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #810 of 1,194
Sure, but you're another one with deep pockets - I can only assume that your destination in the Rockies is some kind of convention for folks with mountains of cash, ianmedium ! 
rolleyes.gif

Oh if you only knew my circumstances! No deep pockets here, just as I said before, no car, no mortgage, no debt, no smoking or going out at all (except for a coffee) You would be amazed how much people spend on stuff that is fleeting. I just choose to spend it on stuff that lasts! And the Rockies are a trade with a Magazine for a travel article I wrote for them!

When one thinks outside the box it is amazing what one can do with very little cash!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back