RSA SR71b, quad mono balanced. img. 1 & 17 Review pg 32, 34, 68, UPDATED 4/2013 for Improved sound.
Dec 18, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #406 of 1,194
I've already paid via PayPal and Ray accepted the money but no notification on the shipping info so far. Anyone has been notified by Ray?

Dec 18, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #407 of 1,194

Quote:
Listening with my balanced LCD-2, I am finding the 71b to have....... 

Flac 24/96 or lossless with optical out to a Sys Concepts 1300 fiber cable, Boomslang balanced dac, 71b, balanced phones

Jamato8, how is it that you've got a SR71B to listen to or are you talking about listening sessions at meets in the past?  

This is the portable rig I am putting together right now:  Apple Lossless-->Ipod Classic (6 gen)-->Cypher Solo-->Coax Spdif-->Boomslang-->Hirose-Protector adaptor-->SR71B-->JH13/LCD2/HD800 all in balance mode

Since I have not used the Boomslang before and this is the only portable balance DAC that I know, can you tell me how good is the Boomslang?  Thanks

Dec 18, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #408 of 1,194
Jam already answered that question. Ray sent review units to him, and to me .

Dec 18, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #409 of 1,194

Quote:
I've already paid via PayPal and Ray accepted the money but no notification on the shipping info so far. Anyone has been notified by Ray?

He mentioned on his site that shipping would start on Monday. 

Dec 18, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #411 of 1,194
This may be a dumb question but if i remember correctly the protector only had a balanced output right? The sr71b has that plus a balanced input.
my question is do they make an ipod cable to balanced input? or does it not matter as long has your iems have the balanced cable 

Dec 19, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #412 of 1,194

Quote:
This may be a dumb question but if i remember correctly the protector only had a balanced output right? The sr71b has that plus a balanced input.
my question is do they make an ipod cable to balanced input? or does it not matter as long has your iems have the balanced cable 

The Protector has single ended in and balanced or single ended out. The 71b has balanced or single ended input and balanced or single ended output. You could use an iPod with it single ended output into the 71b and then use the balanced or single ended output. I hear more detail balanced and a little different sound quality using the balanced, as in improved. 

Dec 19, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #413 of 1,194
If I'm upgrading from a RSA Shadow and my source would be single ended output.

Should i upgrade to a SR-71b or to a Protector/just stick with my Shadow to drive my JH13pro?

Would be getting TWag for either setups on a side note.

Dec 19, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #414 of 1,194
well i just made payment for the sr-71b.. im awfully excited about it. what desktop sources are you guys planning to use?

Dec 19, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #415 of 1,194

@wund3rk1nd, Cullen Modified PSAudio DL 3 for me... have to fashion an XLR -> 71b balanced cable first, tho.

@r2ymond, driving the JH13 in balanced mode is a great improvement over what the Shadow does. From just my reading, it seems that if you only have a single-ended input, then the SR-71B might not surpass the performance of the Protector.

Dec 19, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #416 of 1,194
Dec 19, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #418 of 1,194
@ sengchangko

wow thats a really beautiful DAP. from what i saw, it has coax spdif out ? interesting..
looks really good too. wonder how much they sell it for

Dec 19, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #419 of 1,194
Any idea how to get fully balanced from:

Cowon J3 > RSA SR71-b > TWagged JH13pro?

If i'm using a Iphone 4, all i need is a Mil spec LOD cable from my Iphone 4 to my RSA SR71-b and i would get a fully balanced input & output?

Dec 19, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #420 of 1,194

Quote:
Any idea how to get fully balanced from:

Cowon J3 > RSA SR71-b > TWagged JH13pro?

If i'm using a Iphone 4, all i need is a Mil spec LOD cable from my Iphone 4 to my RSA SR71-b and i would get a fully balanced input & output?

Incorrect.

You require a balanced DAC (Digital/Analogue Converter) to feed a balanced signal to the amp.
There is the Boomslang DAC which has a balanced output, and there is the Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo which can take a digital signial from the iPhone (and be feed through to the Boomslang).

The above set up might be considered one of the more 'portable' options to attain a portable balanced setup, but it would be very cumbsersome. I think I may have read that there are some balanced DACs coming, but I cannot confirm. Hopefully they will be very slim and the notion of a portable balanced rig can be realised.

(you can run the single-ended output from your iphone via a line out dock into the SR71-B and have a balanced output from the amp, but it won't be a fully balanced signal path from source to headphones. Don't forget you also have to a balanced cable for your headphones etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back