RSA SR71b, quad mono balanced. img. 1 & 17 Review pg 32, 34, 68, UPDATED 4/2013 for Improved sound.
Aug 16, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #121 of 1,194

Quote:
Hi Warp, 

Thanks for your early impressions. Like many, I've been anxious to hear what it sounded like. Quick question: from your post it seemed like the most dramatic improvements over the Protector came from the balanced input. Is that right? Would you suspect that it would not be worthwhile to upgrade from the Protector without a balanced source? Thanks!

Edward

The strength of this amp--assuming no major changes between now and production affecting SQ--is operating in balanced mode.  I believe there will be balanced LODs available by the time this amp is released to choose from turning your WhipMod/iMod/iPhone into a balanced source.  IMHO, I would anticipate that the vast majority of customers who opt to buy this will spend the extra money to change their regular LOD to a balanced one and get the full benefits of their investment.

Since this is not a finished product yet, any detailed comparison between any existing product on the market, including Ray's own amps would be premature and that any rate, I did not have enough time or the right conditions to conduct one beyond my initial impressions above.  And they are just that--initial impressions. I'm sure will post additional information once he finalizes the design specs.

Aug 16, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #122 of 1,194

Quote:
Anyone know if this has optical in, the conn by the LOD in the above pictures may be??

It is an amp so there won't be an optical in, that would be for a dac, which this isn't. 

Aug 16, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #123 of 1,194
I am sure Warp08 isn't the only person that attended the Can Fest last Saturday. I am also sure that Warp08 is not the only person that auditioned the SR71B prototype. But why is his the only impression on the SR71b is beyond me. Not that Warp08's impression is no good, its just that if there is concensus among a few observers it's that much better:)

Aug 16, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #124 of 1,194

Quote:
I am sure Warp08 isn't the only person that attended the Can Fest last Saturday. I am also sure that Warp08 is not the only person that auditioned the SR71B prototype. But why is his the only impression on the SR71b is beyond me. Not that Warp08's impression is no good, its just that if there is concensus among a few observers it's that much better:)

I know what you mean. I have seen other new amps that I knew had been auditioned but no mention was made here on HeadFi. It is nice to read people's opinions. 

The posted images are a nice addition. 

Aug 16, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #126 of 1,194
You have to have a balanced source, dac, preamp etc, in order to have a balanced input signal to the amplifier. 

Aug 16, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #127 of 1,194

Quote:
You have to have a balanced source, dac, preamp etc, in order to have a balanced input signal to the amplifier. 

From a purist sense, John, you are absolutely correct.  I am hoping, however, that even a "partially" balanced solution achievable from a portable source would produce at least some of the benefits the Meridian/B-52 combo fully balanced input has achieved.  Similar to the Protector benefiting in splitting the output stage into balanced mode vs. s/e mode, only at the input stage.

Aug 16, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #128 of 1,194

Quote:
How do we get portable balanced sources?  One solution would be to persuade Craig@Whiplash audio to build custom iPod/iMod/WhipMOD LODs terminating into a 4-pin balanced male Protector plug and, there, we would have a fully balanced portable solution.

Terminating an iPod LOD with a 4-pin cable does not make the iPod a balanced source.  I'm not sure how you figure that.

Aug 17, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #129 of 1,194
I am still very interested in the SR71B. However, given these posts I'm becoming uncertain about the application. If a balanced source is needed to properly use the SR71B won't that negate the portability of its design? Is there a balanced source that is also portable to match the SR71B?

Aug 17, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #130 of 1,194
There will be a portable balanced dac so that gives you a source. 

Aug 17, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #132 of 1,194
I don't think it is really portable and from what I have read, has been out of production for a long time. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back