RSA SR71b, quad mono balanced. img. 1 & 17 Review pg 32, 34, 68, UPDATED 4/2013 for Improved sound.
Jul 21, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #61 of 1,194
"SR-71B Quad mono fully balanced portable amp input to output." 
Question?  What would one use as a portable 'balanced' source?

Jul 21, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #62 of 1,194
^

Thats very typical of head-fi in general.  A lot of buzz gets around really quick, especially if it comes from the likes of Ray Samuels, Headroom, Woo Audio, Headamp etc. These are manufacturers that have proved time and again that even the announcement of a new product deserves all the attention.  They have a track record of excellence and really help this community move forward.

Jul 21, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #63 of 1,194
Good question. I can't imagine any mainstream manufacturers of mp3 players want to manufacture mp3 players with balanced out. Especially since the headphone amp manufacturers can't decide on a standard connector.

Perhaps HIFIMAN will give it a try?

Quote:

Jul 21, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #64 of 1,194
Quote:

I'm guessing the same way the Protector converts a single-ended source.

Jul 21, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #66 of 1,194
ibasso has a balanced dac, I assume Ray you are using the same connector again?

Jul 21, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #67 of 1,194

^

Thats very typical of head-fi in general.  A lot of buzz gets around really quick, especially if it comes from the likes of Ray Samuels, Headroom, Woo Audio, Headamp etc. These are manufacturers that have proved time and again that even the announcement of a new product deserves all the attention.  They have a track record of excellence and really help this community move forward.

I think members making new product announcements on behalf of manufacturers is cheesy.

Jul 22, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #68 of 1,194

Quote:
Quote:

But if you can get a pure digital out from your DAP, anything is possible...

Jul 22, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #69 of 1,194
Quote:

Is there mention of a DAC in the SR71b Quad?

Jul 22, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #70 of 1,194
Now, see, if someone can pull the signal (maybe dual-mono) out of the Teclast T51 (Nationite S:flo2) 's dual DACs...
But this amp is 'quad-mono'... so what, 'twin-stereo' now? A four-channel?

Jul 22, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #72 of 1,194

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Is there mention of a DAC in the SR71b Quad?

I don't think so. There are many pass-through portable DACs though, I wonder if any of them have balanced output?

If so there are some real possibilities...

And what's going on here?

Jul 22, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #73 of 1,194
Probably some small cap dock.

Jul 22, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #74 of 1,194
I thought someone demo'd a digitally-licensed LOD setup at Canjam, not sure if this is it. But it could just be an iMod/diyMod cap dock/balanced adapter too.

Jul 22, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #75 of 1,194

Quote:
Quote:

Poorly?

Seriously, some of you really need to read up on exactly what balanced is and what the benefits/drawbacks might be.

I have a fully balanced home system. I like having the extra power that a dual mono, balanced amp can provide for my K1000, and I like not having to deal with ground loops in my somewhat complicated system.
That being said, I've heard many fantastic single ended systems that would hold their own against my balanced one for SQ.

When it comes to IEMs I can see no benefit whatsoever to having a balanced portable system. But I can see some pretty big downfalls from doing so...lack of a good, small balanced source, ridiculous adaptor cables that are bigger than the amp, lack of a good reasonably priced attenuator...and so on.

This amp seems to me to be more of a parlour trick than anything else. The balancing myths are running rampant, and this latest amp is just jumping on that bandwagon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back