RSA SR71b, quad mono balanced. img. 1 & 17 Review pg 32, 34, 68, UPDATED 4/2013 for Improved sound.
Jul 20, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #31 of 1,194

Quote:
I can't imagine the frustration that users will experience trying to hand match the volume levels using two tiny knobs.  It also means that while portable, you'll always have to take it out of pocket or wherever to make volume adjustments to make sure that things stay matched. 

Hey Nat...
What took you so long? 
Ray

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #32 of 1,194
LoL, I knew this was coming :)  It was only a matter of time.

As far as I remember, Headroom also used two volume controls in their home balanced amps.  They used two attenuators as well and it was very well received as a proper home amp.
Interestingly, the volume control on the protector doesn't move a bit even when it is in the pocket, unless you deliberately change it.  I believe Ray should be using the same sturdy volume controls for this new amp which he can confirm.  If he is in fact, using the same volume control, there will be absolutely no problem for this amp to be used in a portable scenario, provided you want to stay at a set volume and not change it for every song or something.

Jul 20, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #35 of 1,194
Anybody looking to do this properly would use a full digital volume control but a 4-gang pot would work in a pinch.  Still it is a crappy way to do things with the high sensitivity of IEM's. 

Now with Alpha everything is custom made to your specs so the whole issue of matching is just BS.  If you wan't 0.5% matching then I'm sure you can get it but it won't be free.  I've had them make custom pots for me in the past and they were good to work with.  I'm also sure Panasonic would make you a 4-gang pot if you order enough units since they have offered them in the past...

Jul 20, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #36 of 1,194
Quote:
I can't imagine the frustration that users will experience trying to hand match the volume levels using two tiny knobs.  It also means that while portable, you'll always have to take it out of pocket or wherever to make volume adjustments to make sure that things stay matched. 

I completely agree with this. I always have my portable in my pocket whenever I'm out, and always adjust the volume with it in my pocket. It would be a pain and hassle to have to dig it out of my pocket everytime I adjust the volume. The fullsize desktop argument is bogus. It's two completely different scenarios. It's very easy to adjust two volume controls on a desktop amp when the thing is sitting right in front of you. You don't have to dig anything out. I am excited about the idea of a balanced portable having so much power while still being relatively small. I but the two volume controls might be a deal breaker for me.

Jul 20, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #38 of 1,194
Concerning the volume issue: how about if we all wait to see what this amp looks like before jumping to irrational conclusions??  Those of us who know Ray and his products would probably think he's got something in mind to avoid unnecessary misadjustments in volume or other issues.  Let's see product pics and more detailed info 

Jul 20, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #40 of 1,194
I can see two non-stepped volume pots as being a pain to get set right while on the move with out a decent amount of fiddling.
A digital solution based on the pga23xx series chip for example would seem like a smarter choice.

This is a bit of a worry though: "Making this portable balanced amp the most powerful Amp ever designed".

Be interesting to see how it comes out.

Jul 20, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #41 of 1,194

Quote:
Concerning the volume issue: how about if we all wait to see what this amp looks like before jumping to irrational conclusions??  Those of us who know Ray and his products would probably think he's got something in mind to avoid unnecessary misadjustments in volume or other issues.  Let's see product pics and more detailed info 

You need to get your facts straight before you start accusing people of jumping to irrational conclusions. Having dual volume pots isn't an irrational conclusion. As of right now it's a fact. It's reported on his website that it will have dual pots.This actually comes from the man himself. Hopefully given the feedback on this thread, he will change his mind and implement a single balanced pot. People are only commenting on the info on his website not drawn up(irrational) conclusions.

Jul 20, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #42 of 1,194

Quote:
Hey Nat...
What took you so long? 
Ray

Mr Samls,
  Not sure what your beef is with Mr Maher,  but I think he brings up a good point that using two volume pots is an epic fail.  The question is what is the reasoning behind this? If it because the pany pots are really that good and it's worth the trade off of user annoyance, or that it's just easier to use two and bring the product to market that much quicker?  Coming from the stand point of a consumer I would want something that works right every time that I don't have to fiddle with to get right. I think other have brought up some good ideas to use digital volume control or have special purpose pots made specifically for this amp. Any reason it can't be done that way?

Jul 20, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #43 of 1,194

Quote:
There are some small quad pots that I am sure Ray knows of but they very often never match. The rate of rejection can be 60 percent and sometimes higher. The Panasonic pot, has been used by a number of manufactures due to the very high reliability and excellent matching of channels. Some will like the dual volume controls some won't. 

I have no doubt the Pana pot is a great one but 2 knobs for portable use, seriously? I even can't stand that for home amp, let alone portable purpose. Just imagine you accidentally move one of them and mismatch the channels, and then adjust again. Not fun to me.

Jul 21, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #44 of 1,194
I think most(certainly not all) would agree two pots on a portable amp is not a good idea. When most people use portables a couple of things are very important, convenience and ease of use. With having two pots to deal with it's no longer convenient or easy to use. It's why over 90% of all desktops uses only one pot, and up to now 100% of all portables(that I know of) uses one pot. I really hope he changes his original design and go with a balanced pot. It would be nice to have a balanced portable amp to use with some of my hard to drive cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back