RSA SR71b, quad mono balanced. img. 1 & 17 Review pg 32, 34, 68, UPDATED 4/2013 for Improved sound.
Jul 18, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #17 of 1,194
I want to salute Ray for his constant and unending effort to invent and innovate.  The merit of the SR71b is of course remain to be seen.  But just looking at his effort from the past two years on the portable front is aaamazing, SR71a, Predator, Mustang, Shadow, Protector and now the SR71b.  Each pushing and expanding the frontier of portable technology for us headfiers (think about it, we are a small group and how many big guys including Apple give us we want).  I am very impressed with his tenacious and perfectionistic mentality.  Although the earlier amps of just a year or so (sr71a, predator, Mustang etc) may now take a second place to the sq of the newer amps, I felt the money I have spent in his products, though outdated relatively fast, have contributed to a journey with Ray in perfecting portable listening and in his quest for better products.  

Jul 19, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #18 of 1,194
Nice to see the balanced amp competition is heating up. Understand RSA is running out of airplane names. How much for this one? Sounds expensive. US$800++?

Jul 19, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #20 of 1,194

Quote:
I want to salute Ray for his constant and unending effort to invent and innovate.  The merit of the SR71b is of course remain to be seen.  But just looking at his effort from the past two years on the portable front is aaamazing, SR71a, Predator, Mustang, Shadow, Protector and now the SR71b.  Each pushing and expanding the frontier of portable technology for us headfiers (think about it, we are a small group and how many big guys including Apple give us we want).  I am very impressed with his tenacious and perfectionistic mentality.  Although the earlier amps of just a year or so (sr71a, predator, Mustang etc) may now take a second place to the sq of the newer amps, I felt the money I have spent in his products, though outdated relatively fast, have contributed to a journey with Ray in perfecting portable listening and in his quest for better products.  

I still have the Tomahawk which to me is the ideal portable amp, holding its own with the Hornet and using inexpensive AAA batteries with extreme longevity between battery replacement.  Plus built like a tank--or maybe a missle??

Jul 19, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #22 of 1,194
Yes at least

Jul 20, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #28 of 1,194

Quote:
More like inability to source a tiny quad pot...

There are some small quad pots that I am sure Ray knows of but they very often never match. The rate of rejection can be 60 percent and sometimes higher. The Panasonic pot, has been used by a number of manufactures due to the very high reliability and excellent matching of channels. Some will like the dual volume controls some won't. 

Jul 20, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #29 of 1,194
Given the discussion that erupted back in the Protector thread I wonder why not use digital volume control now that he has decided to use 2 anyway.

Jul 20, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #30 of 1,194
I can't imagine the frustration that users will experience trying to hand match the volume levels using two tiny knobs.  It also means that while portable, you'll always have to take it out of pocket or wherever to make volume adjustments to make sure that things stay matched. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back