RSA SR71b, quad mono balanced. img. 1 & 17 Review pg 32, 34, 68, UPDATED 4/2013 for Improved sound.
Nov 24, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #211 of 1,194

Quote:
I heard the SR-71B this Saturday, and while I wont be able to afford it any time soon, I can say it lives up to the hype. Ray had the tiny little thing driving the HE-6s effortlessly and I also listened to some balanced HD600s he had, and the soundstage on both was amazing. 

Do you remember where did Ray get his balance signal from to feed/drive the SR71b?  Was it a desktop unit or a portable unit.  In terms of portable unit, except the Boomslang from ibasso I don't know of any other balance dac that can output balance signal to the SR71b. 

Nov 24, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #212 of 1,194
Are there any images from the meet? It would be nice to see a few. 

Nov 24, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #213 of 1,194

Jalo, it was XLRs to the balanced outs from his four thousand dollar Meridian CD player. I also do not know of anything transportable that provides balanced outs other than the Boomslang, but stay tuned. Someone is sure to build one. 
Quote:
Quote:
I heard the SR-71B this Saturday, and while I wont be able to afford it any time soon, I can say it lives up to the hype. Ray had the tiny little thing driving the HE-6s effortlessly and I also listened to some balanced HD600s he had, and the soundstage on both was amazing. 

Do you remember where did Ray get his balance signal from to feed/drive the SR71b?  Was it a desktop unit or a portable unit.  In terms of portable unit, except the Boomslang from ibasso I don't know of any other balance dac that can output balance signal to the SR71b. 

Nov 25, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #214 of 1,194
i mentioned to ray at the meet "how about a balanced dac to match the sr71b" he smiled at me and grinned..
i could be totally wrong,but i bet ray has something up his sleeve like a matching dac for sr71b
popcorn.gif

this would be awesome 

Quote:
Jalo, it was XLRs to the balanced outs from his four thousand dollar Meridian CD player. I also do not know of anything transportable that provides balanced outs other than the Boomslang, but stay tuned. Someone is sure to build one. 
Quote:
Quote:

Nov 25, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #215 of 1,194
i mentioned to ray at the meet "how about a balanced dac to match the sr71b" he smiled at me and grinned..
i could be totally wrong,but i bet ray has something up his sleeve like a matching dac for sr71b
popcorn.gif

this would be awesome 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

In the interim, something to consider for use with computer audio at least is the HRT Music Streamer Pro as it has balance outs. I believe Moon Audio even makes a cable with the balance connector Ray uses.

http://www.highresolutiontechnologies.com/pdf/HRT-Music-Streamer-Pro.pdf

Nov 26, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #217 of 1,194

Is it possible to build a tube version of this amp ? 
biggrin.gif

No. Tubes don't substitute directly for chips. Tube power supplies are an entirely different beast and much else. There are a number of balanced tube amps on the market, though. Also, you can balance just about any DIY amp if ypu want to go that route.

Nov 26, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #218 of 1,194

Quote:
popcorn.gif

this would be awesome 

I've been waiting a long time for Ray to work on ANY type of DAC for portable use (which includes optical).

Nov 26, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #219 of 1,194

Quote:
Quote:
popcorn.gif

this would be awesome 

I've been waiting a long time for Ray to work on ANY type of DAC for portable use (which includes optical).

In the meantime, there should be no reason why a Hirose Male-to-Protector Male Balanced IC could not be built to enable using the Boomslang with the SR71B, just like with the PB1 Toucan.  I'm assuming the SR71B chassis dimensions to be roughly similar to that of the PB1, but I could be wrong.

Nov 26, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #220 of 1,194
The choices of dacs should be exciting. I have the feeling that the 71b will set new standards. 

A USB device that will do 24/96 to feed these amps would be welcome. Audio just keeps getting better and better. 

Nov 26, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #221 of 1,194

Quote:
The choices of dacs should be exciting. I have the feeling that the 71b will set new standards. 

A USB device that will do 24/96 to feed these amps would be welcome and I have the feeling one is around the corner. Audio just keeps getting better and better. 

the Boomslang will do up to 24/192 as far as I know because of its WM8740 DAC chipset.  http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/products/dacs/WM8740/

Nov 26, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #222 of 1,194
The dac chips but not the USB chip, it is 16/48.

Nov 26, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #224 of 1,194

my dream ray samuels rig would be
160 gig 6th gen ipod>to the upcoming cypher labs solo coax out>to a ray samuels balanced portable dac(via coax) to sr71b>to my balanced jh-13 pro iems
ksc75smile.gif
Quote:

Quote:
popcorn.gif

this would be awesome 

Nov 26, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #225 of 1,194

Quote:

A USB device that will do 24/96 to feed these amps would be welcome and I will bet a portable one is around the corner. Audio just keeps getting better and better. 

Absolutely! It is very a fun time for me, being young and all. I remember shortly before I joined Head-fi there was nothing close to this level, or value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back