RSA SR71b, quad mono balanced. img. 1 & 17 Review pg 32, 34, 68, UPDATED 4/2013 for Improved sound.
Nov 29, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #226 of 1,194
For anyone who missed these pics of the SR71b prototype from the NY meet:

http://assets.head-fi.org/9/94/943cf3bd_SR71B.jpg

http://assets.head-fi.org/0/0b/1000x500px-LL-0bd482b9_SR71BVolumeKnob.jpg

Whenever Ray posts his announcement/pre-order thread, can someone link here?  I don't always check the MOT forum.

Nov 29, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #227 of 1,194
I resized them as they take forever to view and this way they are easier to view. Hope you don't mind. 

Nov 29, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #229 of 1,194
In the meantime, there should be no reason why a Hirose Male-to-Protector Male Balanced IC could not be built to enable using the Boomslang with the SR71B, just like with the PB1 Toucan.  I'm assuming the SR71B chassis dimensions to be roughly similar to that of the PB1, but I could be wrong.

Yes, this is easily done.  It's a straightforward 4-wire cable (although unpleasant to build, let me tell you).  Both plugs are just L+ L- R+ R- but different shapes.  I plan to use my Boomslang with the SR71B when it comes out, and I have a Toucan to tide me over till then.  

Edit:  The only annoying thing with all this gear is 
a) the Boomslang's output is on its "front" so I have to run a cable from its front to the back of the amp, or else face its inputs forward.  It should be like a tiny version of my RE-7 with all the I/O in the back.  /OCD
b) the Protector plug is at a right angle, so when it connects to the SR71b input it will have to loop around 90 degrees to connect to the front of the Boomslang.  Perhaps it is possible to build a right-angle Hirose cable? That way it looks cuter.  The Hirose plug has a strain relief screw hole on the side of it, so this might be possible with some modding.  

Nov 29, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #230 of 1,194

Quote:
doesnt look like its going to be too much larger than the protector was

and damn look at all those op amps!!

and it appears he decided to go with one pot, but its looks like its only 2 gang...

It is 4 gang and you couldn't have a balanced input from the dac if it wasn't anyway. It is larger than the Protector, I would judge about 2.5 times the size. A powerhouse of an amp that's for sure. 

Nov 29, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #231 of 1,194
Has Ray determine a price for the amp yet?  Sorry to be redundant if this has already been ask/answered. 

Nov 30, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #233 of 1,194
Quote:
Quote:
doesnt look like its going to be too much larger than the protector was
and damn look at all those op amps!!
and it appears he decided to go with one pot, but its looks like its only 2 gang...

It is 4 gang and you couldn't have a balanced input from the dac if it wasn't anyway. It is larger than the Protector, I would judge about 2.5 times the size. A powerhouse of an amp that's for sure. 

Ray told me it will be about 1/2" longer and wider than the Protector, but it will be slimmer by about a third.

Dec 6, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #236 of 1,194
Yeah, it drove the HE-6s very well. My dad and I were impressed. One thing that jumped out at me was the soundstage, which was huge. It almost sounded like was a binaural recording, when I know it wasn't.

Dec 6, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #237 of 1,194
everything sounds better, fuller, and spacier after eating brownie lady's brownies... 
wink.gif
tongue.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 6, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #240 of 1,194
I'm keeping my toes crossed as well, but the ~$600 price range seems in the ballpark and consistent with the pricing of Ray's past offerings in this category.  Maybe we get an intro price break--say, $50 off--but even with that this isn't going to be a cheap portable amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back