Roon is live
Oct 3, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #76 of 701
Basically you deactivate one and use it on another computer. I don't know how the license is being used elsewhere if there isn't an Internet connection.

Nope. I haven't "deactivated" either one, ever. And, I switch between the two copies, routinely, without any problems. But, again, I only use one at a time, but one of them is left running all of the time. Either Roon isn't checking or they only check during playback. I could test this...

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #77 of 701
PSA guys - there's only one day left to take advantage of the 10% lifetime discount. I finally caved in as I can see myself using Roon for the long haul (presuming they stay afloat).  As a nice bonus, you also get refunded for the unused part of the annual subscription.

Oct 30, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #78 of 701
  PSA guys - there's only one day left to take advantage of the 10% lifetime discount. I finally caved in as I can see myself using Roon for the long haul (presuming they stay afloat).  As a nice bonus, you also get refunded for the unused part of the annual subscription.

Congratulations!!!!

I find it so much more enjoyable to listen through than JRivers and I even upgraded to v21 to confirm where JRivers was going.

Oct 30, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #79 of 701
Ha, that's exactly what I did too (upgraded to JRiver 21). Honestly, I think JRiver is a good product (albeit with a steep learning curve), but I do wonder what the upgrade charge is for sometimes. I noticed zero difference for my usage moving from 20 to 21.

On the other hand I'm pretty chuffed about some upcoming features in Roon. Being able to use a Squeezebox as a Roon endpoint is huge (I have three Squeezeboxen). Integration with HQPlayer is also on the way. The main thing I still use JRiver for is audio analysis and DR ratings, but the Roon guys are even working on that. Oh, and I recently got a Galaxy Tab S2 and Roon works great on it, both as a remote and an end point. Next thing I'm thinking is having a dedicated Intel NUC as a headless Roon server for the living room once Squeezebox integration is live. Can you tell I like this software? :)

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #85 of 701
I gave it a test and found it wasn't quite there. Yet.
1) I found the UI to be a bit strange. Needs some work.
2) unstable. Crashes in OS X.
3) the requirement to purchase two licenses to use at two locations was an ender for me.

Sounded excellent to me. The metadata was quite great. I will probably let them develop for a couple of months or so and give it another try.

Dec 2, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #86 of 701
3) the requirement to purchase two licenses to use at two locations was an ender for me.

Sounded excellent to me. The metadata was quite great. I will probably let them develop for a couple of months or so and give it another try.

You can deactivate the one license and reuse at the 2nd location. I do that with my laptop and my server.

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #87 of 701

1) The UI *is* a bit strange, but there are good reasons for what they've done. I've been active on their forum posting feedback and they have been very response. I give them high marks for how the Roon devs have responded to feedback from customers.

2) Not my experience, at all. I run RoonServer on a Mac Mini and connect to it using both an iPad (Roon Remote) and with a MacBook Retina (Roon) and I've never seen a single crash anywhere in the system in the months I've used it. YMMV.

3) You can run one library and multiple clients or more than one library and just deactivate the *other* one. I don't know what else to say on this one... they are trying to make a living.

Dec 21, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #88 of 701
Dec 21, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #90 of 701
Yep, fantastic update, quite the Christmas present :).  I now have Roon streaming to my Squeezeboxen and outputting via HQPlayer to my main headphone rig.  Marvellous!  A few nice interface updates too, not least the improved album info expansion thingy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back