Roon is live
Apr 15, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #106 of 701
Yup, Internet radio support means I'm getting close to decomissioning Logitech Media Server for my Squeezeboxen
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #107 of 701
With any new product, there will be issues/bugs, and I've experienced some minor interruptions. 
As a tool for discovery, I've found the Tidal/Roon combo to be an excellent match for my listening habits. 
I've found more new music this past year - mostly because I enjoy digging with Roon.

Jun 12, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #109 of 701
I am considering using a 1tb Microsoft Surface PRO 4 with ROON as my only source for my portable USB DAC (HUGO or WOO WA8 or ....) attached to It and for my home DAC.

So, NO Wifi or Ethernet connection at all to my network or a NAS.

Just Tablet+ROON > USB > DAC ! ( this is what make my solution usable every where ).

--> Is is a good solution SQ wise or do I really need to use Ethernet in the chaîn to get the most of ROON SQ. ( I read that, in order ro get the best SQ out of ROON, we need to use ROON's Ethernet protocole to re-assemble the data packs ! Can someone explain ? )

Thanks in advance

PS: what is ' HQ player ´ and how do you integrate It with ROON ( I thought that ROON was a stand alone player !?)

Jun 12, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #110 of 701
PS: what is ' HQ player ´ and how do you integrate It with ROON ( I thought that ROON was a stand alone player !?)

Here are a couple of links on the Roon Community forum that talk about HQ Player.  I don't use it so I can't say much.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/why-do-audiophiles-like-hq-player/6210

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/what-do-most-people-use-hq-player-for/7393

Jun 12, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #111 of 701
I'm trialling both HQPlayer and Roon, and I love the combination - however, one thing that irks me, running Windows, that whenever I switch tracks on Roon, HQPlayer then pops up on my taskbar (which I have as 'auto-hide'), wish that didn't happen...

Other than that - am pretty much there in terms of enjoyment, and I think (with Tidal integration also) that I'll end up subscribing / paying for both products.

Presume I have it set up pretty much right...

Jun 15, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #112 of 701
I finaly installed ROON trial version on my Windows Tablet.

I like It quite much so far but what I find anowing Is to have my own local music files MIXED with TIDAL on-line albums in the same lists. Sometime this Is fine, but sometime I would like to see ONLY my local files.

--> Is there a way to display only my local files when I do not want to see them MIXED with the on-line TIDAL albums ? Is there a switch tidal-off ?

Can I also display only the files that are stored in a spécific local folder ?

Jun 15, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #113 of 701
Presume I have it set up pretty much right...

Looks good.  It's always DAC dependent but I preferred poly-syn-EXT / DSD 7 / DSD256.  The poly-sync-ext filter was the one that really kicked in with my set-up.  Broad soundstage with pinpoint imaging at the same time.  Is your SDM bitrate maxed out (11289600)?  Mine shows 49152000 and I get DSD256 playing.  I leave it to the maximum on the settings popup and then Auto on the main page and it'll max out what your hardware can do.

Jun 15, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #114 of 701
Looks good.  It's always DAC dependent but I preferred poly-syn-EXT / DSD 7 / DSD256.  The poly-sync-ext filter was the one that really kicked in with my set-up.  Broad soundstage with pinpoint imaging at the same time.  Is your SDM bitrate maxed out (11289600)?  Mine shows 49152000 and I get DSD256 playing.  I leave it to the maximum on the settings popup and then Auto on the main page and it'll max out what your hardware can do.
You are correct, it wasn't at the highest sample rate...

I'm happy to be brandished a noob, but I do not know how to get DSD from PCM (to see if it is worth using the DSD decoding) - the DAC can happily play DSD256 if that is what the file is, but for PCM I get 352.8/32 - setting as DSD on the front page causes the program to crash...

Any clues on how to get it to try?

Thanks,

[Edit] Sussed it, it was the tickbox for AltDSD - untick that, and - all is good :)

Jun 15, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #115 of 701
Are you getting DSD256 now?  Because that with poly-sync-ext (for me) was what tempts me to buy.  I have 8 days left in my own trial.

Before finding that arrangement, I was actually preferring everything at 32/384 (again, on the settings page I just pick the highest bitrate and let HQPlayer find the maximum the hardware can do).  Right now I'm playing with an older PS Audio DAC I have that can only do 16/48 so I'm experimenting to see if any arrangement of settings can make that old piece of gear sound better (otherwise back into the storage closet!).

Jun 15, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #116 of 701
Yes. DSD256 - interestingly the Pioneer DAC that I'm using only 'supports' DSD128, but its DAC (ESS9016) supports DSD256, so - is playing back with no problem, but - the bitrate shown on the front panel of the DAC is just dashes
Haha.

Jun 15, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #118 of 701
it plays back fine, so - all good, I can live with the dashes :)

Anyhow, to confirm...

Jun 15, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #120 of 701
I would believe it is ensuring 256x oversampling of redbook, which would tie in with Quad DSD...

Borrowing from Wikipedia:

The Merging Technologies Horus AD/DA Converter offers sample rates up to 11.2 MHz, or four times the SACD rate. This is also referred to as DSD256 because the sample rate is 256 times that of CD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back