Roll Call for Team AKG
Oct 13, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #676 of 1,537
I used the K271's again for the first time for a really long time Courtesy of Kukuk, I really like them. When I first herd them coming off the XB700's I had nothing but hate for them. But now hearing them they have a VERY detailed and lifelike midrange and the highend is perfectly rolled off. This has one of the most realistic highends of any headphone I have yet to use, The LCD'2 being the other, The HD800's had a tad bit of sparkle but did by no means sound unrealistic but a slight bump along wit the T5p's.  After owning the K500's the K271's bass seems really present to me so I had no issues with that...now if only i could get Kukuk's brother to let me barrow them for a while to see how I really think they sound.

Oct 13, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #677 of 1,537
Quote:
This has one of the most realistic highends of any headphone I have yet to use, The LCD'2 being the other, The HD800's had a tad bit of sparkle but did by no means sound unrealistic but a slight bump along wit the T5p's.

I'm surprised by this. I don't have my 271s anymore – owned them for some number of years – but I don't remember feeling swept off my feet about the highs. At some point, before I sold the 271s, I got the Beyer 990s, the 80s vintage version, and those have some very nice cymbals going, something I never noticed with the 271s. Then again, I never did a direct comparison between the two, so maybe memory deceives.

The reason I'm posting, though, is to ask about AKG's warranty: Anyone happen to have experiences dealing with AKG Europe's warranty? I've had a relatively sour experience with their (presumably) Finnish branch, who took in my AKG K 314s, kept them for three months, then sent me the wrong thing as a replacement (they'd offered me a choice between two replacement models, then sent the opposite of what I'd asked for, citing availability). It's the first time I made use of AKG's warranty, and it wasn't a good start.

Oct 13, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #678 of 1,537
you misunderstand what I mean, a realistic highend is more muted, the DT990 I found to be VERY sibilant. The K271's highend sounded like it should in real life. I have never winced from hearing a Saxophone in real life like I have on headphones.

Oct 13, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #679 of 1,537
You may be right, and I don't even have real-world cymbals to compare against. Is that the vintage 990 you're referring to? I remember a thread on here where a Beyer rep was quoted as having said that the old 990 is more akin to a modern DT-880 (none of which I've heard).

Oct 13, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #680 of 1,537
Ah, I have not heard the vintage DT990's but they use the same drivers at the DT770 but open...well the new ones do at least. I have a friend with drums and a Saxaphone and have heard him play them a few times, not a hint of sibilance from either one of them but from certain headphones that's all I hear heh.

Oct 14, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #681 of 1,537

Quote:
My first AKG was the K242HD, sold it, then went through a few more and now back to square one....K242HD lol

understandable, they are great phones, imho the best of the k240 famliy right after the K240 Sextett mp which I prefer. They ~might be similar or actually the same as the K240s or MKII
 but I guess the velours make them more ballanced compared to the boomy K240s.

Jan 8, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #682 of 1,537
Can anyone tell me their comparison between the K81DJs and K271 mkII?  I have the K81DJs and love em .. and want to try other AKGs.

Jan 8, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #683 of 1,537

Quote:
Can anyone tell me their comparison between the K81DJs and K271 mkII?  I have the K81DJs and love em .. and want to try other AKGs.

Polar opposites. K81's are very dark and closed in sounding, while the K271's are more on the brighter side with a more spacious sound. The mids of the K271's are really what they excel at. Some of the best mids you'll find in a sub-$200 headphone.

If you go in with the mindset that you want to upgrade, you might be left a little disappointed, since the sound signature is so different. If you are wanting something to compliment the K81's, I think you'd be very impressed with the K271's.

Jan 8, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #684 of 1,537
The K81 is a very nice headphone. If you haven't already remove the foam between the driver and pads and play around with the EQ a little. It opens up quite a bit. Its the only headphone I've tried that I've actually had the feeling of the musicians being in the room with me. It sounds a lot like the Grado SR-80i that I used to have but less airy, less harsh, and with a better bass, though its a little echoey and slower. I don't think I could ever let mine go.

I've been trying hard to find something that I like better, but everything I've tried has left me disappointed, I'm getting Symphone Magnums in a couple weeks/months, hopefully those will be good enough to take over my main rig.

Jan 8, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #685 of 1,537
Quote:
Polar opposites. K81's are very dark and closed in sounding, while the K271's are more on the brighter side with a more spacious sound. The mids of the K271's are really what they excel at. Some of the best mids you'll find in a sub-$200 headphone.

If you go in with the mindset that you want to upgrade, you might be left a little disappointed, since the sound signature is so different. If you are wanting something to compliment the K81's, I think you'd be very impressed with the K271's.

Speaking of polar opposites .. I recently got new pads for my 81s, Senn HD-25 velour & pleathers.  With either of them the 81s were much more open, brighter, spacious.  It sounded weird!  It was like someone removed the bass from 220 hz and below & added 3D sound.

When I removed the center cover foam from my old worn our pads and used them on the Senn pleathers .. it was much more like the original sound.  I noticed that the Senn center cover foam was very see thru/open, compared to the AKGs which I barely saw any light thru them.  Also the back side of the Senns were pleather, while the AKGs were velour like.  I'd think that the Senns pleather back side would reflect HF sound waves around to the open center part .. while the AKGs would absorb the HF sound waves.

Jan 8, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #686 of 1,537
Thats interesting. I've never felt the need to swap out the pads but it sounds like I'm using the ones I'd like best anyway. Velour pads are usually brighter and airier, while pleather is more bassy and closed in sounding. Comfort wise and sound wise I like pleather more than velour and over months of use I've gotten used to the K81's clamp though I never thought it possible. I can wear them all day now as opposed to an hour or two.

Jan 8, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #687 of 1,537
Oh .. I thought I said my K81DJ pads were getting very tattered .. and was told that the HD25 pads would fit.  I got both the velour & pleathers for a decent deal .. but I wish I got AKG pads now.  These Senns are too open/bright .. and stiff, the AKGs are softer, darker & bassy.

Jan 8, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #688 of 1,537
Yay bought more sextet's :)

Jan 8, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #689 of 1,537
AKG K340s here....

Still have the receipt...bought them on November 26th, 1986 new at Pro-Com for $170 US, a dealer that dealt with professional audio equipment. Pro-Com is still there in Pittsburgh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back