Roll Call for Team AKG
Oct 25, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #1,036 of 1,537
  I'll try on getting the K601, I've been wanting to hear it for a long time. Though if I get enough money I might venture into orthos/electrostats next. Too many headphones out there that I want to try :|

Just go straight for the stats and orthos. I thought the K 601 wasn't voiced very well.

Oct 25, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #1,040 of 1,537
Not sure but to what I know, that only applies to K712 eh? Not sure.. Feel free to check out Brooko's review on the K612
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/685483/akg-k702-the-classic-vs-k612-pro-the-upstart-review-and-comparison

Oct 25, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #1,046 of 1,537
  Not surprising that they sound different with different pads. Same driver, same cup - bust out some EQ and your K 601 is a K 612 with a retro paint scheme.

Maybe, but maybe not, it may not be different pads, just differently colored pads as they seem to be pretty much the same in material from what I heard. I think it's probably a tweaked driver and maybe something else is the difference between the two. I do know the newer and older K702s sound different and the only aesthetic difference between the newer and older ones is the number of bumps on the headband. It's not too surprising they tweaked them. Sennheiser did the same with the HD 600/650 and tweaked them a few years back.

Oct 25, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #1,047 of 1,537
Could be, though more likely not, as the service manuals list the same part # for the driver for both models. I actually didn't check the part number for the pads.

Oct 25, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #1,048 of 1,537
  Could be, though more likely not, as the service manuals list the same part # for the driver for both models. I actually didn't check the part number for the pads.

There is another 0 at the end on the K612 drivers, so not exactly the same number for both drivers, which leads me to believe they are most likely the same drivers tuned differently. Also looking at another thread about them, they say the capsules are different, so I assume it means the little capsule/pod like thing that sticks out of the earcup is a bit different.

Oct 25, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #1,049 of 1,537
There's a 0 at the end of many of the otherwise identical entries in the K 612 service manual, including the screws.

An AKG rep on Facebook indeed said the 'capsules' were different - but that's an ambiguous statement to say the least.

Oct 25, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #1,050 of 1,537
There's a 0 at the end of many of the otherwise identical entries in the K 612 service manual, including the screws.

An AKG rep on Facebook indeed said the 'capsules' were different - but that's an ambiguous statement to say the least.

Ah I see. Well it does seem they sound different than each other regardless. With the K612 being the warmer and bassier of the two. So if someone wants a smooth, warm, and laid-back sound, these are one of the headphones to get. And the price is the same on the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back