Roll Call for Team AKG
Aug 9, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #961 of 1,537
Quote:
Quote:
I might be wrong but I believe the K280 is semi-open back and the K270 is closed back.

This is completely off topic, but those grados you have as your profile pic are lovely. Are they custom modded?

Yup, I modded them myself.
You can see them on the 'post your grado mods' thread on page 242 
wink.gif

Aug 9, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #962 of 1,537
Quote:
Just bought a k240 monitor from Germany last night. Hopefully they will sound good when they come! ;p

Anyone has any experience with them?

Thanks

Oh yeah the K240M DO!
They were the third headphone I ever bought, and I still have them.
 As was mentioned the fabric covered foam in the earside openings may have deteriorated and will need checking to see if it holds a "fingerprint" or springs back again after. This goofs up the sound also. Some may have fallen past onto the top of the driver if it got really bad, but i used a vacuum cleaner carefully to get that all out.
 If the pads are slightly hard also and can't be brought up again with come cream or treatment, then get new ones . These and the inner net pads ( aka inner foam pads ) are still available today.

I tried pad rolling but found even a bit higher profile than stock mucks the sound up, so stock they are.

As far as inner foam deterioration, these have the aquarium filter type foam ( massively open ) inside, so if it has deteriorated you can shake the cans over some white paper and you will see tiny black bits falling out. I experienced this with the Sextetts. Probably fine though.

Aug 9, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #963 of 1,537
Oh yeah the K240M DO!
They were the third headphone I ever bought, and I still have them.
 As was mentioned the fabric covered foam in the earside openings may have deteriorated and will need checking to see if it holds a "fingerprint" or springs back again after. This goofs up the sound also. Some may have fallen past onto the top of the driver if it got really bad, but i used a vacuum cleaner carefully to get that all out.
 If the pads are slightly hard also and can't be brought up again with come cream or treatment, then get new ones . These and the inner net pads ( aka inner foam pads ) are still available today.

I tried pad rolling but found even a bit higher profile than stock mucks the sound up, so stock they are.

As far as inner foam deterioration, these have the aquarium filter type foam ( massively open ) inside, so if it has deteriorated you can shake the cans over some white paper and you will see tiny black bits falling out. I experienced this with the Sextetts. Probably fine though.

Thanks for the tips. Is it pretty easy to take the ear pads off to check the inner foam?

How much do they go for now days? I wonder if I've got a good deal?!

Aug 10, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #964 of 1,537
The inner fabric/foam earside disc will just pull out as a separate thing unless it is caked on there. So you can leave the pads in place if you want

Make sure that all the passive radiators there too are free of anything.
 Hard to say i see a them up a fair bit but price ranges are all over the map depending on condition. 
Do you feel happy with what you paid?
bigsmile_face.gif
Check out ebay.de for price ranges they seem to have the most over there in Germany, auctions anyhow

Aug 10, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #965 of 1,537
The inner fabric/foam earside disc will just pull out as a separate thing unless it is caked on there. So you can leave the pads in place if you want

Make sure that all the passive radiators there too are free of anything.
 Hard to say i see a them up a fair bit but price ranges are all over the map depending on condition. 
Do you feel happy with what you paid?:bigsmile_face: Check out ebay.de for price ranges they seem to have the most over there in Germany, auctions anyhow

Sure, I paid 82 euro free shipping from Germany, is about 125 AUD

Aug 18, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #966 of 1,537
I let go of my K340 Bass Lights, and my Balanced Q701 recently. Now just have the K240 Sextett. Still have the Vintage AKg Tour Jacket, the K1000 poster, and the vintage microphone ad.

Aug 18, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #968 of 1,537
Do you know how the Sextetts sounds compare to the other k240? Does it sound nicer than the k340 bass light too?

In all fairness to both cans, I never had 2 amps at the same time to drive both these cans, as they require vastly difference amp output. But, in comparison, the K340 Bass Light was a much smoother and laid back headphone, much better imagine and soundstage. The Sextett MP is much more aggressive, and has more energy at times.

I had the K240 MKii, and K240 studio. The MKii is much better than the studio, as is the Sextett. Depending on your amp, either of these is good. I would take the Sextett solely because it's awesome to have a pair of cans that old that sounds that good, and also they look awesome. The MKii are also a little more laid back than the Sextetts.

Aug 19, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #969 of 1,537
Long time lurker here. 

Four months ago the only headphones I owned were a pair of 7506's that I thought were the bomb, some Koss PortaPros and some Apple in-ears that I rarely used since my ear canals like to spit them out. 

As of today, I have acquired a K141 (silver), K240DF, K240M, K240 Studio, K240 Sextett MP, K240 Sextett LP, K270, K280, K141 (silver), and K550.

Head-Fi has ruined me. 

dt880smile.png

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #970 of 1,537
Quote:
Long time lurker here. 

Four months ago the only headphones I owned were a pair of 7506's that I thought were the bomb, some Koss PortaPros and some Apple in-ears that I rarely used since my ear canals like to spit them out. 

As of today, I have acquired a K141 (silver), K240DF, K240M, K240 Studio, K240 Sextett MP, K240 Sextett LP, K270, K280, K141 (silver), and K550.

Head-Fi has ruined me. 

dt880smile.png

Looks like you're missing a K241 there. 
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 20, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #972 of 1,537
Don't forget, the 240 DF alone has several versions that he's gotta get. The early ones with a dual-entry cable, the normal-entry ones with big sound ports, the ones with smaller sound ports covered by the paper-like substance, and the ones with smaller sound ports covered by the cloth-like thing.

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #973 of 1,537
Quote:
Looks like you're missing a K241 there. 
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
And K340, K1000, K50, and K180 :p those are all the vintage AKg's I know of

Quote:
Don't forget, the 240 DF alone has several versions that he's gotta get. The early ones with a dual-entry cable, the normal-entry ones with big sound ports, the ones with smaller sound ports covered by the paper-like substance, and the ones with smaller sound ports covered by the cloth-like thing.

You guys are terrible; I have a wife and baby to feed. Maybe if we switch to generic food brands...

Aug 22, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #974 of 1,537
joining the club:

K250 (1982) - those got me started. i was truly impressed by how some headphones almost as old as me could sound so much better than all my previous 'phones/earbuds/earplugs. i even got the original receipt from akg for those (999,- austrian schillings) :) however, they led me to...

Quote:
Long time lurker here.

Q701 - bought those after about one month of lurking. plus an E17. no further comments necessary.

K280 (~1990) - bought them yesterday for 40€. sound great, but no time for extensive listening yet.

and i guess, more vintage cans will be dropping in. also i'm gonna need some serious schiit to drive my collection. and yes, i already see it coming...

Quote:
Head-Fi has ruined me.   
dt880smile.png

luckily i don't have kids to feed
k701smile.gif

Aug 22, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #975 of 1,537
joining the club:

K250 (1982) - those got me started. i was truly impressed by how some headphones almost as old as me could sound so much better than all my previous 'phones/earbuds/earplugs. i even got the original receipt from akg for those (999,- austrian schillings) :) however, they led me to...

Q701 - bought those after about one month of lurking. plus an E17. no further comments necessary.

K280 (~1990) - bought them yesterday for 40€. sound great, but no time for extensive listening yet.

and i guess, more vintage cans will be dropping in. also i'm gonna need some serious schiit to drive my collection. and yes, i already see it coming...

luckily i don't have kids to feed
:k701smile:

40 euro for the k280 is a good deal. I've been looking for one too :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back