Roll Call for Team AKG
Jul 3, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #931 of 1,537
Quote:
They're not bad, especially the layered soundstage was nice. Kinda overpriced everywhere still, though.

I gotta say that I'm really liking my K340 for this reason. The spaciousness is really nice to have and I really like how they have a laid back kind of sound though still with nice enough level of detail. The only problem is that my earpads are flat like pancakes. Slightly painful on my ears if I move around too much. In regards to sound, the lowest bass is lacking (there's still a bit of punch though), but it's hard to notice once I get into music as it seems to roll off slowly.

Not sure if the bass heavy K340 would fix this by having bass that extends lower, or just "louder" bass and probably mids.

I have a K340 with the green dynamic driver housing. As far as I know, it is stock though I have replaced the elastics. Perhaps the elastics I chose are too tight so the headband isn't adjusting properly and so the grill rests on my ears. 

I'm powering the AKG K340 with my DACport. I hope it has enough power. I have the volume knob at about 50%. I tried a few of my DAC/amps and the DACport or Apex Glacier seemed to fit the best. The Glacier seems to have some sort of grounding issue though with a slightly crisper and slightly painful sound.

Aug 4, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #932 of 1,537
Got my hands on an AKG K340 bass-lite, pairing it with my vintage Pioneer VSX9900. Dac is Focusrite VRMbox without the software, just to take advantage of the nice, neutral cirrus logic chip. bass boost on my pioneer amp makes them sound complete.

I removed the foam, and replaced the pads with pioneer SE-A1000 pads. I'm really liking the sound. The foam inside of the cups made the cans sound veiled and laid-back. I'm a fan of shure/grado in-your-face sound.

Aug 4, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #933 of 1,537
Probably better off going for an LP Sextett, a K 241, or a K 250 rather than the K 340 if a forward sound is what you want out of a vintage can. Plus, any of those three cost about a third of the overpriced K 340 while being technically better nonetheless.

Aug 4, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #934 of 1,537
Just got AKG Q701's.  Paired them with an ASUS STX and a Rolls Bellari HA540.  I must say I am very impressed.  Bought them to use for high end gaming headphones and now it reawakened my love of music all over again.  Been buying CD's and rediscovering old favorites and looking for new ones.

Am now in the process of doing some tube rolling with Bellari.

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #940 of 1,537
Recently (last week) received my k340 and have been listening to them. They are awesome, definitely my favourite phones so far. It has such smooth and forward vocal and also very good bass :wink:

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #941 of 1,537
Which type of K340 might it seem to be? My "bass-light" version seems pretty balanced sounding with even a bit of punch in the bass as well. The "bass heavy" one that I have just seems to have less treble and more mids (a bit too much with a bit of glare as well) but less open sounding. (Both in stock condition, driven by my DACport)

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #942 of 1,537
Which type of K340 might it seem to be? My "bass-light" version seems pretty balanced sounding with even a bit of punch in the bass as well. The "bass heavy" one that I have just seems to have less treble and more mids (a bit too much with a bit of glare as well) but less open sounding. (Both in stock condition, driven by my DACport)

I'm not sure, I haven't really looked into the ear cups yet to find out. But I have a feeling it might be the bass heavy version as the bass on it is heavier than my other akgs

Aug 8, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #943 of 1,537
i have the bass-light version. they have the exact amount of bass i like for the music i listen to, and i can use the hardware bass boost on my vintage receiver if i need a bit of a push. i removed the cotton balls from inside the cups as my only mod, and it really brought the sound out. :3

Aug 8, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #944 of 1,537
I'm in...

K702 -  With Annie pads.  I just bought the iFi iCan to give them more oomph.

K550 - When the world around me is too loud, I put these on.

Aug 8, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #945 of 1,537
Just bought a k240 monitor from Germany last night. Hopefully they will sound good when they come! ;p

Anyone has any experience with them?

Btw. Anyone knows the difference between k270 vs k280?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back