Roll Call for Team AKG
Aug 2, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #377 of 1,537
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think he is assuming that the K1000 is your favourite vintage AKG and would like to know what your second favourite is.

If that's the case, then that's quite possibly the most roundabout and confusing way to ask what my next favorite after the K1000 is... even though the K1000 isn't my favorite one in the first place.
confused.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #379 of 1,537
Since I've had the Total AirHead amp, I have loved the sound my AKG K701 produces. I hated the "instruments and voices sound lighter than they should" sound of the K701 before that; it was due to lack of amping. Yes, I have all those dynamic headphones in my signature but I never bothered to get a decent amp; well, I have a Xenos 0HA-R, but lost the adapter a while ago, and my E-Mu 0404 USB has an integrated headphone amp, but it is apparently worthless. My opinion on the K701's sound was really strongly negative, too - this should serve as a reminder to look at people's signatures and/or profiles to see what equipment they have before taking their opinions seriously. On that point I realize that I am still in the utterly low-end when it comes to amp and sources, so my opinions are not worth much when it comes to solid equipment like the K701.

Anyway, this amp has made me totally reverse my "K501 is superior to the K701" view, which I probably espoused in this thread a year or so ago. The K501 is utterly out-classed by the K701 - it is basically a mid-fi versus hi-fi sort of thing. I don't really like my K81DJ either, so I'm not part of "team AKG," but I do consider the K701 to be the best dynamic headphone I own, and I wanted to post my change of opinion somewhere on this site.

Aug 2, 2008 at 10:57 AM Post #380 of 1,537
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my opinion, yes.

eeeh, what's wrong with the K-601
frown.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #381 of 1,537
Quote:

Originally Posted by fhuang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fitz, what's your favorite akg?

K240 Sextett of course.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eeeh, what's wrong with the K-601
frown.gif

K601 uses AKGs newer varimotion drivers, so I never wanted to try it (the treble artifact caused by the varimotion driver technology usually tends to bother me after hearing vintage AKG). Are you saying it's better than vintage AKG?

Aug 2, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #382 of 1,537
Quote:

K240 Sextett of course.

K601 uses AKGs newer varimotion drivers, so I never wanted to try it (the treble artifact caused by the varimotion driver technology usually tends to bother me after hearing vintage AKG). Are you saying it's better than vintage AKG?

No, just different.
With some recordings I prefer the darker and fuller sound of the K601, compared to the K400.
The K601 treble doesn't bother me at all. And I'm very picky when it comes to treble and sibilance.

The first time I had the Sextett, I wasn't impressed.
But I'll give it a second chance. That is if the Ebay seller hurries up, which he doesn't seems to do
mad.gif

Aug 3, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #386 of 1,537
Quote:

Is that wrong?

I thought the K1000 was meant to be like, the best headphone evar.

Aug 3, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #388 of 1,537
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the K1000 was meant to be like, the best headphone evar.

There will never be a best headphone ever until "best" can be clearly defined and agreed upon.

Aug 3, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #389 of 1,537
Quote:

There will never be a best headphone ever until "best" can be clearly defined and agreed upon.

Mm ok.

BTW, on your K240 Sextetts, would you say the treble is recessed? I'm a bit confused because people have said the K240 Sextetts are 'Grado'd AKG's' and also that the K270 playback is like a closed K240 Sextett. But my K270 Playbacks are VERY VERY dark, darker than my HD580's IMO. The treble IMO is quite recessed without the sparkle of a Grado.

Do the sextetts also sound like this?

Aug 3, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #390 of 1,537
The upper treble is rolled off, but the bulk of the treble is very present, even on the K270. K240 Sextett early and middle production is darker than K270 though. K240 Sextett late production is closer to the K270 in balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back