RoCoo P DAP - Full Review
Jan 11, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #136 of 505

Quote:
Recent reviews i saw, the hiss is much more serious on the studio. However i do not have the studio, so i cant confirm.

yes, the hiss is significantly worse in studio

rocoo P does not hiss with my phonak. well, maybe a little, but you have to really listen to it, in a very quiet room, and in haunting silent night
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #137 of 505
Had a friend's Studio for a few days while he fixed my DIYmod scroll wheel. Listened to it on Miracle. There was hiss present when no music was playing, but it was very minor. When the music went back on, I could no longer hear the hiss.

And for anyone who are interested,Studio sounded better than RoCoo P with Miracle. Not substantially but it's noticeable.

Jan 11, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #138 of 505

Quote:
 ​

Input/Output Jacks and Size Comparison with Cowon S9:

One thing that HiSoundAudio did not include in their specifications is that this player has a Class A amplifier inside of it. They wanted to make a player that did not require an external amp, and so they included a very good amplifier inside the player. The amplifier has an output of 50 mW, which is incredibly strong for a player of this size. And as you will read later, this powerful amplifier really helps the player's audio quality sound that much better.

It is important to note that this player focuses on audio quality as its selling point. It does away with features such as radio, games, and other capabilities. So it is essentially a "no compromises" audio player. And it delivers on that point.

Sir SolidVictory, how did you know that there was a class A amplifier inside of Rocoo P? Hmmm. Reaally curious.

Thanks in advance. :D

Jan 11, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #139 of 505

Quote:

Sir SolidVictory, how did you know that there was a class A amplifier inside of Rocoo P? Hmmm. Reaally curious.

Thanks in advance. :D

Its a spec that Jack from Hi-sound audio has advertised. What people have a hard time believing though is that its not producing heat like other Class A setups normally do. I feel this is something of a hybrid. Only drawing the power when it is being used (Solid State?).

Jan 11, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #140 of 505
There are threads that question the "Class A" that started all the back during the AMP3 Pro days and the Studio-I.  The only hybrids that I've heard so far regarding amplification are tube hybrids.  An dap/amp combo being Class A, well, some folks still believe in Santa Claus (folklore type). 

Jan 11, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #141 of 505

Quote:
There are threads that question the "Class A" that started all the back during the AMP3 Pro days and the Studio-I.  The only hybrids that I've heard so far regarding amplification are tube hybrids.  An dap/amp combo being Class A, well, some folks still believe in Santa Claus (folklore type). 

I think its quite possible to pull it off and also a very great idea when you think of it. Wouldn't you love to have a Hifiman 601 that last 50+ hours. It really only makes sense for it to be draining it power when its actually being used which is not the case with these devices. And of course making them more efficient instead of wasting the energy as heat.

Jan 11, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #142 of 505
All I can say is, "The truth is out there."  Don't believe everything you read that's stamped or etched on any product.  No, I wouldn't want a 601/602/801 last 50 hours because it would be too heavy and big to carry around.  IMO, the whole battery durability game is something that started with mainstream daps.  IMO, most sounds mediocre without the built in EQ, which I never use, so for me it will always sound mediocre.  A serious sounding dap will always sacrifice battery life over sound quality.

Jan 11, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #143 of 505
Has anyone opened up a RoCoo P yet to see what's in there?

Jan 12, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #145 of 505

Quote:
do you want to be the pioneer?

Tempted, though I'm not sure if the sticker would go back on.... I find I have to turn mine up higher than most people here seem to... usually at 20. Is that normal?

As an aside, I normally don't use EQ, however I've found the Classical setting reduces the very fatiguing high-mid bump my ears hear. I found that particular frequency to be very dominating. I can now listen to most of my metal music with enjoyment... along with the rest of the music I listen to as well (electronic, rock, classical).

Jan 12, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #146 of 505

Quote:
Has anyone opened up a RoCoo P yet to see what's in there?

Someone over at erji.net already open his. The pictures are blurry, and nothing special to be seen

Jan 12, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #147 of 505

Quote:
Its a spec that Jack from Hi-sound audio has advertised. What people have a hard time believing though is that its not producing heat like other Class A setups normally do. I feel this is something of a hybrid. Only drawing the power when it is being used (Solid State?).

Wow it doesn't heat up? Then that's good for users!
Planning to get one. :)

I wish the manufacturer explains more on their product for clearer information.

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #148 of 505

Quote:
All I can say is, "The truth is out there."  Don't believe everything you read that's stamped or etched on any product.  No, I wouldn't want a 601/602/801 last 50 hours because it would be too heavy and big to carry around.  IMO, the whole battery durability game is something that started with mainstream daps.  IMO, most sounds mediocre without the built in EQ, which I never use, so for me it will always sound mediocre.  A serious sounding dap will always sacrifice battery life over sound quality.

While I also find Hi-sounds statements a bit fishy; I still think its possible to make a DAP with class A output while still maintaining a long battery life. The keyword that you said is "most". The problem with the current class A portables is too much of its power is wasted in the form of thermal heat. Now making the player much more efficient would greatly increase battery life IMO. Look at Hyndai; they produce a small 4 cylinder engine that averages 40 MPG on the highway and it's not a hybrid. This is due to the engine being more efficient and utilizing more of the potential energy from gasoline. In honesty cars have yet to even come close to fully utilizing the power of gasoline (most of it is wasted in combustion).

Jan 12, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #149 of 505
I think what's being said is that it can't be pure class A and not be ineffecient since it would idle at 1/2 power to be able to swing up and down beteen 0 and full voltage. They actually run cooler when in use than idling. That's just the nature of the beast.

It can be a high bias or sliding bias type circuit and still maintain some efficiency but at some point it switches of to class B operation. These type of circuits have been around forever and referred to as class A. They get differentiated from pure class A which is the only true form. Honestly, it's about as meaningless as which DAC they use. All I care about is how it sounds and so far, so good.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 12, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #150 of 505
I questioned the authenticity of claimed Class A; Hisound dodged it.
It is the matter of throwing around fancy words in order to sell higher price.
Later, I asked for firmware, and I was refused.
Holding the firmware to punish a customer? That's customer service to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back