The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jun 4, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #646 of 88,419
Things move fast in this thread, I didn’t even get notified of the last 3 pages.
Re: tips; I was ordering some xelastecs and spiral dot ++ from Amazon Japan and decided to try these. For me most tips are subtle tone controls but these really are extra bass as advertised. I only tried for a few minutes so maybe it’s more of an attenuation of highs but they are very noticeable compared to the Symbio Foams I use on my Dorados. I don’t actually like the effect but if one has very bright iems these should cut that. It’s a shame I don’t like the sound because they are very comfortable.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/aw/d/B0756QMLKT/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_track_package_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered some of those along with the first Sedna tips I tried a couple years ago. Unfortunately I was never able to get a good seal with them.

Attachments

• BC746439-6DA8-40B4-9F0C-57EC93DC61E0.JPEG
    BC746439-6DA8-40B4-9F0C-57EC93DC61E0.JPEG
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 4, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #647 of 88,419
Things move fast in this thread, I didn’t even get notified of the last 3 pages.
Re: tips; I was ordering some xelastecs and spiral dot ++ from Amazon Japan and decided to try these. For me most tips are subtle tone controls but these really are extra bass as advertised. I only tried for a few minutes so maybe it’s more of an attenuation of highs but they are very noticeable compared to the Symbio Foams I use on my Dorados. I don’t actually like the effect but if one has very bright iems these should cut that. It’s a shame I don’t like the sound because they are very comfortable.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/aw/d/B0756QMLKT/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_track_package_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That tip has a comfortable and soft material that I like too. Unfortunately its bore is on the narrower smaller end. So the treble gets attenuated slightly. It may be good for the likes of Odin, and brighter more forward sounding IEMs though. As the Odin I recalled sounded slightly better with the Final E tips, which also have smaller bores, and EE too I think initially tuned it with that tips as default

Jun 5, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #649 of 88,419
Some notes after a day with the Cayin Fantasy...

BC746439-6DA8-40B4-9F0C-57EC93DC61E0.JPEG

I received the tour package for the Cayin Fantasy single DD IEM today. It couldn't have come at a more interesting time as I'm currently two days in with the Oriolus Isabellae-- an IEM that has knocked my socks off and firmly implanted itself among my favorites. Given how embedded the Isa has been in my mind the last couple days the most meaningful commentary I can give on the Fantasy at this point is to compare the two IEMs. The Isabellae has really impressed me with its masterful tuning-- from bass to highs the signature is wonderfully balanced and oh so refined. When you're listening to it your mind is drawn to the signature as a whole but your heart is drawn into the midrange...not since Elysium have I heard an IEM that so easily draws me in to the heart and soul of what I'm listening to. Further, the Isabellae has full bodied lower mids and the bass emphasis is skewed towards mid-bass oomph over sub-bass rumble. While the bass on the Isa extends rather well there is less presence in the sub-bass region. There is lots of upper mid presence on the Isabellae however coupled with the aforementioned mid-bass presence and the downward sloping peak free highs Isa's upper mids serve to add a nice layer of clarity and air to the sound without ever becoming shouty or overly dominant.

The Fantasy has a lot in common with the Isa from the bass to upper mids. Fantasy has a slight sub-bass emphasis so you get better perception of extension down low but you miss a bit of oomph and body in the mid-bass and lower mids. Female vocals are nice and sweet on the Fantasy and the mid-range has decent speed and texture. I found the mids to be reasonably forward, however on the whole not quite as clean, refined and polished they are on the Isabellae-- in particular with vocals. Male vocals are fuller and more natural on the Isa whereas on the Fantasy they seem a little...chesty or something sometimes. On the whole though the bass & mids of the Fantasy and the Isabellae are way more similar than different...it's the highs where the two IEMs are the most different. Isbella feels much more even keeled across the FR and the graphs that @tgx78 shared of Isabellae confirm this-- the highest point of Isa's FR is in the upper mids with the trend being generally downward through the highs. This maintains balance keeps Isa free from peakiness, disjointedness, sibilance, and other issues stemming from overloaded treble.

I haven't seen graphs of Fantasy yet but if I had to guess based on what I've heard I would say that the highs, instead of sloping gradually downward following the elevated upper mids as they do in the Isa, instead slope upward. It wouldn't surprise me if there was an 8K or so peak in there somewhere. For my music I would say like 70% of the time the Fantasy sounds great, and notwithstanding Isa's cleaner mids and more seductive vocals, it stands neck and neck with Isabellae for the most part. A big difference I think is that the aim of Cayin's tuning seems to be more towards a clean and airy sound whereas Isabellae seems more about intimacy and emotional connection. There are definitely peaks in Fantasy's treble that spring up every now and again and make me hit the skip button. Sometimes there is just too much I hear sibilance on Morrisse's "I am Hated for Loving"-- which is why I suspect there might be an 8K peak. At its best Fantasy sounds open, detailed, airy, clean and spacious-- but when the highs get out of hand they can feel over done, not metallic or ringy or anything...but elevated above and thus a little disjointed from everything else.

The sub-bass and bass texture in general on the Fantasy has a pleasing timbre and is nice and disciplined-- I would say sub-bass & extension is one area of the FR the Fantasy has a slight advantage over the Isabellae. I'm tempted to say Fantasy is a little V shaped-- but the V is more pronounced in the highs and I didn't hear any recession of the mids. If sub-bass and clear, clean airy highs are your priorities over a nuanced, sculpted and seductive midrange then the Fantasy may be for you.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #650 of 88,419
Great piece by @NewEve on synergy. As I have stated often in my experience synergy between components is at least as important as the components themselves and a judicious pairing can add at least a kilobuck to the SQ of your setup.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #651 of 88,419
The tuning of the Isabellae is so sweet, tuneful, melodic and captivating-- I totally get why it's named after a songbird.

Jun 5, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #652 of 88,419
My synergy for today - M8 (turbo gain) + 3DT + Tanchjim filter mod with 40-50% nozzle coverage. Absolutely dialled in, so insanely smooth <3.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #653 of 88,419
My synergy for today - M8 + 3DT + Tanchjim filter mod with 40-50% nozzle coverage. Absolutely dialled in, so insanely smooth <3.

The 3DT is a great IEM. The timing was sort of bad for me-- I had Elysium, IER Z1R, IER M9 and Nio on hand at the time and was going through a super stressful period at work...so I was never able to give it the attention it deserved. I defo liked it more with the filter mod and I'm convinced to the core of my being that if you love the 3DT you will go head over heels for the Isabellae.

Also, given how insanely good I'm finding Isa, Oriolus' entry level model...if their gear scales with cost accordingly I 100% understand all the accolades the $6K bird has been receiving.

Edit: Floating on a pillow of love and bliss...

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #654 of 88,419
The 3DT is a great IEM. The timing was sort of bad for me-- I had Elysium, IER Z1R, IER M9 and Nio on hand at the time and was going through a super stressful period at work...so I was never able to give it the attention it deserved. I defo liked it more with the filter mod and I'm convinced to the core of my being that if you love the 3DT you will go head over heels for the Isabellae.

It does deserve a bit of time and patience, but it would be repaid 10-fold. It has a lovely expressive soul beneath the generous upper mids/treble.

Yesterday I had a very stressful day and some of my IEMs were just not gelling with me. It is incredible how our emotions can colour our perceptions. I hope one day you get some more time with the 3DT!

The Isabellae is the only IEM on my shopping list, but unfortunately I feel it won't be in my hands for some time!

As for the big Bird, it is masterfully balanced, Oriolus sure know how to tune an IEM. It is truly a complete package.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #655 of 88,419
My synergy for today - M8 (turbo gain) + 3DT + Tanchjim filter mod with 40-50% nozzle coverage. Absolutely dialled in, so insanely smooth <3.
Man, I can only imagine how good the Traillii must've been with the M8. It is second best to the LP6Pro player currently in my humble opinion. Both have excellent realistic vocals. The UI is definitely better on the M8 though :smiley:

Personally, I would rate the two birds as following:

Bass Traillii > Isa
Mids, Timbre Isa > T
Treble Draw (both are really good)
Soundstage Traillii > I
Resolution Traillii > I (edited)
Layering, Separation, Positioning Traillii > I
Coherency Isa > T

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #656 of 88,419
The Traillii is great with the M8, but from what I understand, it's pretty good on most sources. Truth be told, I don't often listen to the Traillii straight from the M8 but through the C9 which expands stage further and cleans up some of the transients on the M8 for a more detailed listen that seems to fit well with my critical listening.

There is undoubtedly strong synergy between M8 and a DD driver, it seems to focus more of its presentation to the low end and the natural tones of the lower frequencies.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #657 of 88,419
Man, I can only imagine how good the Traillii must've been with the M8. It is second best to the LP6Pro player currently in my humble opinion. Both have excellent realistic vocals. The UI is definitely better on the M8 though :smiley:

I was looking at your sig and it admiring the fact that we each have IEMs from Campfire, VE and Oriolus...presently my 3 favorite brands. I think I need to hear the Warbler Prelude :D

Jun 5, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #658 of 88,419
As for the big Bird, it is masterfully balanced, Oriolus sure know how to tune an IEM. It is truly a complete package.

I'm sure it will more than tide you over until you're able to hear Isa...I can't wait for your thoughts when that time comes :)

Personally, I would rate the two birds as following:

Bass Traillii > Isa
Mids Isa > T
Treble Draw (both are really good)
Soundstage Traillii > I
Resolution Draw
Layering, Separation, Positioning Traillii > I
Coherency Isa > T

This is eminently fascinating and very encouraging...especially that in the current phase of my audio life mids what I'm most interested in. I look forward to more such comparisons.

The Traillii is great with the M8, but from what I understand, it's pretty good on most sources. Truth be told, I don't often listen to the Trailli straight from the M8 but through the C9 which expands stage further and cleans up some of the transients on the M8 for a more detailed listen that seems to fit well with my critical listening.

There is undoubtedly strong synergy between M8 and a DD driver, it seems to focus more of its presentation to the low end and the natural tones of the lower frequencies.

Hearing the Trailli is definitely on my audio bucket list. Agreed about M8 with DDs...it's magic.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #659 of 88,419
It does deserve a bit of time and patience, but it would be repaid 10-fold. It has a lovely expressive soul beneath the generous upper mids/treble.

Yesterday I had a very stressful day and some of my IEMs were just not gelling with me. It is incredible how our emotions can colour our perceptions. I hope one day you get some more time with the 3DT!

The Isabellae is the only IEM on my shopping list, but unfortunately I feel it won't be in my hands for some time!

I have the 3DT and I love it, but I don't find that it scales up well with source. For instance, when paired with the C9 it's not that great to my ear.

Jun 5, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #660 of 88,419
I'm sure it will more than tide you over until you're able to hear Isa...I can't wait for your thoughts when that time comes :)

This is eminently fascinating and very encouraging...especially that in the current phase of my audio life mids what I'm most interested in. I look for more such comparisons.

Hearing the Trailli is definitely on my audio bucket list. Agreed about M8 with DDs...it's magic.

The mids on the Traillii are the finest I've ever heard, they are expanded in space and you can pick out detail and tonal nuances really easy. The real standout feature of the Traillii in my opinion (apart from the great treble) is how the bass can sit in total support of the whole stage of music around your head but never obscures. Not obscuring would imply some separation but theres none perceivable at all - it is holding all the ranges above with great intimacy and dynamic. It's the perfect execution of BA bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back