The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 15, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #3,256 of 87,666
I have Shanling M9 on preorder, M8 has just gone to a friend´s home that will love it.
LOL

Oct 15, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #3,259 of 87,666
Oct 16, 2021 at 3:18 AM Post #3,260 of 87,666
So, I received the 7HZ Timeless for audition and review. I must say I was mighty impressed by it. Here is a brief comparison with Yanyin Aladdin from a very brief listening:

Timeless vs. Aladdin:
  • Timeless has sharper notes, Aladdin notes are slightly smoother, but still enough crisp
  • Timelesss Notes are a bit leaner, Aladdin notes are a bit fuller
  • Due to the leaner notes, Timeless has a tiny bit more airy sound than Aladdin
  • While details are similar, Aladdin notes are more well defined and lively, sounds bigger. Timeless notes sound a bit compressed and smaller.
  • Timeless has a more v-shaped sound, adding a bit more depth to the stage. Aladdin has slightly more forward mids.
  • Bass of Timeless is VERY good, goes deep, sounds full bodied, and yet has enough speed not to muddy the midrange. Fast, big, juicy bass - loved it! Aladdin has a much more controlled bass response compared to Timeless - midbass has less emphasis and sounds less full bodied, although not hollow.
  • Aladdin has a slightly warmer tonality, Timeless has a slightly cooler tonality.
  • Treble responses of both are very comparable - energy and extension-wise. So I can't really pick out one over the other.
  • Width of soundstage is similar on both, depth is slightly better on Timeless, while height is considerably better on Aladdin, which provides a better, more complete, and more grand presentation.
  • Timeless has a slightly cleaner and darker background than Aladdin.
All listening was done through Balanced out of Shanling M3X in High Gain. Volume matching was done before comparison.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #3,261 of 87,666
I never thought about that in that way. Interesting how reading novels, tasting food, listening to music have in common with our way perceiving of things and imagination. And as a result rouse our emotion
the commonality is that all these are subjective, with no single truth, no single right or wrong answer but never ending dicussions about communicating our emotions to another human being that has a different perception of the same thing wich gives us different emotions based on who we are and what we are experiencing around us at this moment in time. that is also a commonality regarding arts it is not something you can explain, you have to experience it yourself ( which is the paradox of these feeling sharing forum, it is a vain task but we can't hep doing it.)

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #3,262 of 87,666
I have Shanling M9 on preorder, M8 has just gone to a friend´s home that will love it.
LOL
the problem i have with dap is that when computational audio will hit, like computational photography hit the camera market ( leaving out dedicated hardware such as ILC, in favor of generic smartphones camera systems) these algorithms will hit first and foremost the standard computer platforms that are android and windows and you'll be waiting for ages to have something ported to a dap, unless daps are 100% android compatible, is it ?

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #3,263 of 87,666
the commonality is that all these are subjective, with no single truth, no single right or wrong answer but never ending dicussions about communicating our emotions to another human being that has a different perception of the same thing wich gives us different emotions based on who we are and what we are experiencing around us at this moment in time. that is also a commonality regarding arts it is not something you can explain, you have to experience it yourself ( which is the paradox of these feeling sharing forum, it is a vain task but we can't hep doing it.)
It is. Something about all this kind of resembles how flavors and colors interact with our perception also. There is no truly uncolored sound, even reality itself I hazard to guess would sound different to each individual. As sound wave/vibration pass into ears, it inevitably would have to permeate through skin, earwax, bone, etc. and be converted into signal by sensors, to then be interpreted by brain/body. The sound had to be filtered through numerous variables, like how we see by filtering light through our lenses. Hence the coloration, obstruction, translation factoring in cause us to hear, see, and taste uniquely. Consequently splitting our preference to vast variations

It seemed so easy for us to differentiate between flavors, colors, and sounds when in closer observation it shouldn't be that way. How we managed to tell apart one color from another (e.g. yellow to orange), or recognize the taste difference of something sweet to sour is a huge mystery. Seemingly simple, yet hidden beneath nature has installed a web of complexity so astounding, so numinous, that it's terrific and terrifying at once to stare. This frame or segmentation problem is something still not yet completely solved in artificial intelligence, and we still have not yet come up with a robot that can see like a baby human could. To recognize one object from background, one sound from noise, one flavor.. one texture.. and so on is not easy to say the least. The default state everywhere all the time are a mix, one thing equals many things vice versa, which is why it's so hard for robots with their binary system to divide and compute

It's a wonder how we humans perceive, and can perceive. And from that form memories of the past, and develop apperception towards the future. How despite the seemingly random chaos everywhere all the time, we see patterns instead. And from those patterns we understand and can communicate with our fellow being

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #3,264 of 87,666
It is. Something about all this kind of resembles how flavors and colors interact with our perception also. There is no truly uncolored sound, even reality itself I hazard to guess would sound different to each individual. As sound wave/vibration pass into ears, it inevitably would have to permeate through skin, earwax, bone, etc. and be converted into signal by sensors, to then be interpreted by brain/body. The sound had to be filtered through numerous variables, like how we see by filtering light through our lenses. Hence the coloration, obstruction, translation factoring in cause us to hear, see, and taste uniquely. Consequently splitting our preference to vast variations

It seemed so easy for us to differentiate between flavors, colors, and sounds when in closer observation it shouldn't be that way. How we managed to tell apart one color from another (e.g. yellow to orange), or recognize the taste difference of something sweet to sour is a huge mystery. Seemingly simple, yet hidden beneath nature has installed a web of complexity so astounding, so numinous, that it's terrific and terrifying at once to stare. This frame or segmentation problem is something still not yet completely solved in artificial intelligence, and we still have not yet come up with a robot that can see like a baby human could. To recognize one object from background, one sound from noise, one flavor.. one texture.. and so on is not easy to say the least. The default state everywhere all the time are a mix, one thing equals many things vice versa, which is why it's so hard for robots with their binary system to divide and compute

It's a wonder how we humans perceive, and can perceive. And from that form memories of the past, and develop apperception towards the future. How despite the seemingly random chaos everywhere all the time, we see patterns instead. And from those patterns we understand and can communicate with our fellow being

That was impressively deep brah-- glad we've fired up the "hot box" once again :) Believing as I do in reincarnation I would second all this and cautiously speculate that latent tendencies born of past life experiences also shape and guide our reactions to stimuli in the present. Just as no two snowflakes are alike no two people's perception of one piece of gear will be exactly alike.

Like with most things I think it's a mix of subjective & objective standards. I often use food as an example as I think there are many similarities between enjoyment of food and enjoyment of music. There are some foods-- like fresh fruit and vegetables-- that are universally appealing/objectively beautiful but there are others (specialized local foods) whose appeal is more in the eye of the beholder.

I agree that our ability to describe experiences is very limited-- some come closer than others but ultimately as with all things you have to taste the fruit to know the flavor. The join of forums like this (for me) is not so much in my ability to gather objective data but the joy of fellowship with other people who love the same things I do. The specifics of our love and tastes may be different but the very fact that that love is felt is something I can relate to with anyone whose genuinely fallen for a pair of IEMs, even I myself didn't fall for that same set in the same way. I'm very grateful for this place.

That aside and on a humorous note I have to admit the following does explain a little of my attachment to this hobby, especially in the last couple years:

121933629_4262783863770562_692926310858357619_n.jpg

Oct 16, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #3,265 of 87,666
@Rockwell75 - on that Tweet, that's absolutely been me for the last 12 months in terms of earphones but many years for audio equipment in general, plus CDs and vinyl. There's something magic about stuff arriving in the post, even going back to being a kid in the 80s, long before online shopping - saving tokens from a breakfast cereal maybe and the excitement of redeeming for whatever toy and the countdown to it arriving... which of course then it just arrived when it arrived, no tracking option. That kid is definitely still inside me!

Not to be a 'bud-pusher' again but I'm delighted to have found a cheap means to get a fix and realise the game doesn't always have to be an upwards cost trend or indeed expensive, I figured it would be difficult to listen to lower cost earphones once tasted the TOTL stuff but very pleased that's not the case.

Saturday afternoon and my new Blur PK32 the listening choice, more refined/relaxed/intimate with immediate sense of emotive connection - a nice contrast to my mx150.

Album: Anders Ilar 'Elva' - sounds absolutely beautiful.

20211016_163506.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 16, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #3,266 of 87,666
I lived in a remote community in 2004 and I remember it totally blew my mind at the time that I could click a few buttons on Amazon and whatever it was would arrive on a plane in the mail a few days later. It's still quite amazing really. The anticipation & excitement of new gear adds another dimension to this. I presently have a new Macbook en route to me and I should have it early next week...suffice to say I'm quite excited about that :)

My mind & heart right now are fixated on the EXT (if it ever arrives lol) but I'll probably get around to investing in a set of ear buds right after just to see what the hype is all about. Also...

Not to be a 'bud-pusher' again

That's a pretty funny comment in the context of this thread being the "Hot Box" of Head Fi lol

Oct 16, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #3,267 of 87,666
Some guy in Japan put up his own power pole to maximize the integrity of the current powering his loudspeakers:

https://thevinylfactory.com/news/japanese-audiophiles-personal-utility-pole/

“Electricity is like blood. If it is tainted, the whole body will get sick,” he explains.... “No matter how expensive the audio equipment is, it will be no good if the blood is bad.”

Kind of makes a kilobuck cable upgrade for an IEM seem inconsequential.

Oct 16, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #3,268 of 87,666
Some guy in Japan put up his own power pole to maximize the integrity of the current powering his loudspeakers:

https://thevinylfactory.com/news/japanese-audiophiles-personal-utility-pole/

“Electricity is like blood. If it is tainted, the whole body will get sick,” he explains.... “No matter how expensive the audio equipment is, it will be no good if the blood is bad.”

Kind of makes a kilobuck cable upgrade for an IEM seem inconsequential.

Back in my 2 channel days I had a friend who ran his system on batteries to minimize the effects of dirty power

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 12:17 AM Post #3,269 of 87,666

I wish had been online last night🤣.

Oct 17, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #3,270 of 87,666
Back in my 2 channel days I had a friend who ran his system on batteries to minimize the effects of dirty power

Think of all of the very high priced electrical conditioners in the two-channel world (a “power strip” costing more than the Tralli). I know when I had the Soundlab A1s in Northern Jersey they were quite sensitive to noise from the power grid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back