The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 30, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #2,731 of 88,887
C4325375-BF6D-4BF2-8378-7B09F795A219.JPEG

Softears RS10

Very grateful to @Charlyro222 for the opportunity to hear these.

I've spent some time with this IEM off & on since receiving it late last week.

Quick summary:

+ It's a beautiful pair of IEMs
+ Fit is great
+ Clarity & layering are above average
+ Extension is decent up top
+ Nice & technical

+/- Vocals are passable if a little uninspiring
+/- Mids are forward & clear if a little thin

- Overloaded upper mids that are fatiguing for me
- Near total lack of mid-bass-- to echo something @SBranson said yesterday it feels like a portion of the FR is missing.
- Sub-bass emphasis that sounds a little off to me given the lack of mid-bass
- Not a really an inspiring tuning for me-- no real wow factor
- Slippery dippery nozzles that I hard time finding tips for

I am aware of some saying the Shanling M8 isn't the best pairup so I have also demoed the RS10 on my Macbook & N3Pro and my impressions are pretty consistent across all 3 sources-- unfortunately I don't have anything more powerful than the Shanling M8.

My immediate thought upon hearing them was that they sound like a more refined version of the same sort of tuning found in IEMs like the Moondrop S8 & Blessing 2 Dusk. While I did find it quite fatiguing up top I wouldn't say it veered into shoutiness and it certainly was never wince inducing to me like the Dusk was. Like the Dusk, the RS10 seems to need a crap ton of cranks on the volume knob to get loud.

I think fundamentally these have convinced me that I just don't jive with Harman tuning so in the ultimate sense I'm probably not the best person to judge these. I understand a lot of people love them so I might venture to say that if you ARE into Harman tuning these may very well be worth a look. For my money the Oriolus Reborn is a much more inspired & engaging take on a similar tuning and as far as "reference" IEMs go the Campfire Holocene gets a lot more right for me than these do. As with all things in this hobby YMMV.

Aug 30, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #2,732 of 88,887
Wildcatsare1,
62, is when you still consider yourself middle aged. I remember when you were still into headphones primarily. You had medical complications. That will age you, as you said. I guess that your hearing is better than mine. Welcome to the old duffers club.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #2,733 of 88,887

Softears RS10

Quick summary:

+ Fit is great
+ Nice & technical

- Near total lack of mid-bass-- to echo something @SBranson said yesterday it feels like a portion of the FR is missing.

I am aware of some saying the Shanling M8 isn't the best pairup so I have also demoed the RS10 on my Macbook & N3Pro and my impressions are pretty consistent across all 3 sources-- unfortunately I don't have anything more powerful than the Shanling M8.

My immediate thought upon hearing them was that they sound like a more refined version of the same sort of tuning found in IEMs like the Moondrop S8 & Blessing 2 Dusk. While I did find it quite fatiguing up top I wouldn't say it veered into shoutiness and it certainly was never wince inducing to me like the Dusk was. Like the Dusk, the RS10 seems to need a crap ton of cranks on the volume knob to get loud.

I think fundamentally these have convinced me that I just don't jive with Harman tuning so in the ultimate sense I'm probably not the best person to judge these. I understand a lot of people love them so I might venture to say that if you ARE into Harman tuning these may very well be worth a look. For my money the Oriolus Reborn is a much more inspired & engaging take on a similar tuning and as far as "reference" IEMs go the Campfire Holocene gets a lot more right for me than these do. As with all things in this hobby YMMV.
I Think to get their best you need something like ibasso 220/300 max, Ifi Diablo or similar power.

Aug 30, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #2,734 of 88,887
Hey @Rockwell75, any chance you'd hearing the IE900? I'm looking to buy a small form factor IEM and I'm torn between it and Dorado.:thinking:

No I have not. My sense from reading descriptions & impressions is that the IE900 has a harman type tuning so my guess is that 1) it will be night & day from the Dorado and 2) it probably won't be my thing. Dorado is a mid-bassy IEM-- probably the best one out there imho-- but if you're not into that it may not suit your needs.

Aug 30, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #2,735 of 88,887
Excellent, the Athena is fast, very transparent, but it seems to smooth out any stridency in the Isa, Which does not make absolute sense to me.
Isa and Athena cooking on my break in stack. Should be ready sometime Thursday when Eletech Iliad arrives.

Aug 30, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #2,736 of 88,887
No I have not. My sense from reading descriptions & impressions is that the IE900 has a harman type tuning so my guess is that 1) it will be night & day from the Dorado and 2) it probably won't be my thing. Dorado is a mid-bassy IEM-- probably the best one out there imho-- but if you're not into that it may not suit your needs.
Thanks , I already pulled the trigger on Dorado, as I suspected the same thing.

Aug 30, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #2,737 of 88,887
Rock,
What cable are you using on your Dorado these days?

Aug 30, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #2,739 of 88,887
It definitely doesn’t have a Harman tuning. The upper mids are too recessed to be considered Harman. It’s got more of a U-shaped sig. plenty of mid bass too. Never know, you might like it. :)

F899A556-43AE-4162-8F52-361009367C51.png

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #2,740 of 88,887
It definitely doesn’t have a Harman tuning. The upper mids are too recessed to be considered Harman. It’s got more of a U-shaped sig. plenty of mid bass too. Never know, you might like it. :)

I'm dying to hear it but it's too much $$ for me to take a blind. Hopefully an opportunity to hear it will come my way :)

Edit: BTW how are you doing? I've heard from some sources that the situation in Aus right now isn't the best.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #2,741 of 88,887
Isa and Athena cooking on my break in stack. Should be ready sometime Thursday when Eletech Iliad arrives.
I love the Iliadvwith the Isa, looking forward to reading your thoughts!

Aug 30, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #2,742 of 88,887

Softears RS10

Quick summary:

+ Fit is great
+ Nice & technical

Now that your are reviewing, adding something like a Topping A90 (or better, but to get better is a lot more money, it's a great amp) so you have a high power, neutral source for testing IEMs.

Aug 30, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #2,743 of 88,887
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 30, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #2,744 of 88,887
Now that your are reviewing, adding something like a Topping A90 (or better, but to get better is a lot more money, it's a great amp) so you have a high power, neutral source for testing IEMs.

Possibly but honestly if a pair of IEMs is underpowered by the most powerful portable source on the market then that should raise an eyebrow I would think.

Edit: Just to be clear I never claimed the RS10 was underpowered-- my beef with it is mainly that the FR is not my personal ideal.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #2,745 of 88,887
Possibly but honestly if a pair of IEMs is underpowered by the most powerful portable source on the market then that should raise an eyebrow I would think.

There's something there for sure :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back