The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 5, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #1,441 of 89,146
just hot off the press...

1625510015595.png

You’re behind the times man there’s already two pages of eye rolling and chin stroking about those IEMs already :D

Jul 5, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #1,443 of 89,146
Jul 5, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #1,444 of 89,146
AFF51E01-0B65-4440-8E2C-A765949EC659.JPEG

Didn't waste any time and hooked these up to my Prudence and M8. Perspective is as someone coming from the Dorado 2020 as a daily driver.

Some off the cuff impressions:

+ These are certainly bass cannons-- but they're a fun clean, reasonably detailed and not-too-invasive sort of bass
+ Mids are thick, bodied, reasonably forward and clear...though they are a touch overshadowed by the massive bass at times
+ Lots of mid-bass though it doesn't degenerate into bloom really...it's a little like being in a confined club-like space with a massive sub.

- Bass is not as tight, dense, controlled, nuanced or quite as well extended as it is on the Dorado 2020
- Not for someone looking for lots of air, sparkle or forward treble
- They are kind of cheap feeling.

On the whole I think they're great for the price point and will probably make lots of people very happy. As to whether they're keepers for me...perhaps though it's hard to say as at this point it seems like I can get everything here but better in the Dorado 2020. Time will tell...

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #1,445 of 89,146

Didn't waste any time and hooked these up to my Prudence and M8. Perspective is as someone coming from the Dorado 2020 as a daily driver.

Some off the cuff impressions:

+ These are certainly bass cannons-- but they're a fun clean, reasonably detailed and not-too-invasive sort of bass
+ Mids are thick, bodied, reasonably forward and clear...though they are a touch overshadowed by the bass at times
+ Lots of mid-bass though it doesn't degenerate into bloom really...it's a little like being in a confined club-like space with a massive sub.

- Bass is not as tight, dense, controlled, nuanced or quite as well extended as it is on the Dorado 2020
- Not for someone looking for lots of air, sparkle or forward treble

On the whole I think they're great for the price point and will probably make lots of people very happy. As to whether they're keepers for me...perhaps though it's hard to say as at this point it seems like I can get everything here but better in the Dorado 2020. Time will tell...
I need to try the Dorado. A friend is thinking of grabbing one, and if he does, I'll likely get a couple weeks with one.

You like the Prudence? I had a very pleasant exchange with Eric from Eletech last week, and I came <this close> to dropping 7 bills on a Socrates for my IE 900. I ultimately decided right before the holiday weekend that I would instead get something more in keeping with the frugal nature I've culitvated the last 7+ years, hahaha (ordered something from Plussound).

Jul 5, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #1,446 of 89,146
They look killer in the photo. That colored cookware vibe using all ceramic could be a good design motif moving forward. Like Vega and Dorado, but Andro shell size, maybe even slightly larger?

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #1,447 of 89,146
I've given over my lunch hour to listening to these IEMs. While I don't think they'll break any boundaries, win any awards or convert any of the anti-Campfire ayotollahs...they're very endearing and imho succeed quite well at the modest task they've embraced. I was standing in the kitchen making lunch and (appropriately enough given the summer theme) The Beach Boys' "Little Douce Coup" came on and before long I was dancing around my kitchen in a happy little zone just sort of lost in the moment. I've often said that whatever else you can say about an IEM-- its technical capacity, tonal balance or what have you-- is merely a footnote if the IEM in question can pull me into its little world and work its magic on me. Not every IEM does that and it's always a strong point in its favor when it does. So far then: Honeydew 1, Jeffrey's inhibitions 0.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #1,448 of 89,146
They look killer in the photo. That colored cookware vibe using all ceramic could be a good design motif moving forward. Like Vega and Dorado, but Andro shell size, maybe even slightly larger?

A big heck yeah from me...ceramic is where it's at.

I have no particular affinity nor dislike of CFA. I'm just somewhat surprised by them bum-rushing the market like a low-level Chifi outfit. No biggie to me, whatever works I guess.

I suppose it was inevitable that they put something out at the "low fi" price level. I've got no real complaints to them beefing up the sub $1K realm as that seems to be where a lot of my interest lies lately.

I need to try the Dorado. A friend is thinking of grabbing one, and if he does, I'll likely get a couple weeks with one.

Looking forward to your thoughts if you do.

You like the Prudence?

Aesthetically and texturally I love it-- it's perfect for me. I'm not much of a cable guy though and have no real insight to what, if anything, it does to the sound.

Jul 5, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #1,449 of 89,146
I've given over my lunch hour to listening to these IEMs. While I don't they'll break any boundaries or even win any awards...they're very endearing and imho succeed quite well at the modest task they've embraced. I was standing in the kitchen making lunch and (appropriately enough given the summer theme) The Beach Boys' "Little Douce Coup" came on and before long I was dancing around my kitchen in a happy little zone just sort of lost in the moment. I've often said that whatever else you can say about an IEM-- its technical capacity, tonal balance or what have you-- is merely a footnote if the IEM in question can pull me into its little world and work its magic on me. Not every IEM does that and it's always a strong point in its favor when it does. So far then: Honeydew 1, Jeffrey's inhibitions 0.
Yup, definitely won't win any awards. And almost certainly will not sway over most of the crowd in these parts who are looking for things a little more reference-y and technical. But I think for what they are at the price point they are at, they are quite nice. They disappear into my ears, and the smooth warm sound definitely makes me forget that I am listening to a little lightweight piece of plastic. And I do suspect at the price point they are at, they are much more likely to travel with me than some others.

Jul 5, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #1,450 of 89,146
Yup, definitely won't win any awards. And almost certainly will not sway over most of the crowd in these parts who are looking for things a little more reference-y and technical. But I think for what they are at the price point they are at, they are quite nice. They disappear into my ears, and the smooth warm sound definitely makes me forget that I am listening to a little lightweight piece of plastic. And I do suspect at the price point they are at, they are much more likely to travel with me than some others.

Yeah I'm thinking they'll make a great beater/at the gym/not ideal weather pair of IEMs. In any case they're cheap enough that I won't be that anxious if they don't get a lot use.

In other news I just sold my Elysium, ostensibly to fund some "more responsible" non-audio related pursuits. However no sooner did the funds, (which are roughly enough to cover a new n6ii TI) land in my PP account than I headed over to Musicteck "just to look". Fortunately (for my lack of self control, lol) Andrew seems to be sold out of those otherwise I'd probably have one on the way by now lol...oh this hobby.

Jul 5, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #1,451 of 89,146
Yeah I'm thinking they'll make a great beater/at the gym/not ideal weather pair of IEMs. In any case they're cheap enough that I won't be that anxious if they don't get a lot use.

In other news I just sold my Elysium, ostensibly to fund some "more responsible" non-audio related pursuits. However no sooner did the funds, (which are roughly enough to cover a new n6ii TI) land in my PP account than I headed over to Musicteck "just to look". Fortunately (for my lack of self control, lol) Andrew seems to be sold out of those otherwise I'd probably have one on the way by now lol...oh this hobby.
Responsible? Like a Traillii? I hear it made with recycled Amazon boxes and aluminum cans.

Jul 5, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #1,452 of 89,146
Responsible? Like a Traillii? I hear it made with recycled Amazon boxes and aluminum cans.

Trailli's too far out of my league & comfort zone...I should be able to demo one sooner than later, which I'm pretty excited about.

Jul 5, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #1,454 of 89,146
:astonished: uh, come again?

Listed it a few days ago. TLDR is that my use case & music library doesn't sufficiently take advantage of its strengths that I can justify keeping an IEM that expensive when my less expensive IEMs seem to be more than meeting my needs. YMMV etc.

Jul 5, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #1,455 of 89,146
Listed it a few days ago. TLDR is that my use case & music library doesn't sufficiently take advantage of its strengths that I can justify keeping an IEM that expensive when my less expensive IEMs seem to be more than meeting my needs. YMMV etc.
I need your strength

Users who are viewing this thread

Back