Rockbox for iBasso DX90 dual boot with Mango (Stock Firmware)
Nov 10, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #571 of 1,316
Is 2.1.5 L2 rockbox patch in the pipeline? 

Nov 11, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #574 of 1,316
Updated to latest dual boot firmware and Rockbox 2.1.5 a couple of days ago. Rockbox playback occasionally freezes randomly mid song (been trying to identify a pattern, nothing so far) then continues after 15-30 seconds. Track time usually skips backwards a few seconds as the playback resumes.

Anyone else experiencing this? I am running the "While Playing Screen" from the RedBox theme, everything else from the DriveBox theme, otherwise standard implementation.

My main motivation for running Rockbox on the DX90 is because I can't get enough bass for my liking from Mango for my Fidue a86 iems, currently running standard everything in Rockbox apart from +7db on the bass which is seems to be the sweet spot for my ears. if anyone cares to share some Mango eq settings that add a bit of extra punch I would probably leave Rockbox alone.

Edited to add that I am also getting about 6hrs off the stock battery via Rockbox. 

Make You Factory reset in Mango after update to 2.1.5? I (any others) had problem with playing files in Mango until I make Factory reset. From update I had very little time to listen, so I can not say, if here is any problems in Rockbox.

PS: I am very happy for using RedBox :)

For headwhacker:
I too vote for Lurker´s 2.1.5 L2 with dualboot. Every is better to have choise.

Nov 12, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #575 of 1,316

Updated to latest dual boot firmware and Rockbox 2.1.5 a couple of days ago. Rockbox playback occasionally freezes randomly mid song (been trying to identify a pattern, nothing so far) then continues after 15-30 seconds. Track time usually skips backwards a few seconds as the playback resumes.

Anyone else experiencing this? I am running the "While Playing Screen" from the RedBox theme, everything else from the DriveBox theme, otherwise standard implementation.

My main motivation for running Rockbox on the DX90 is because I can't get enough bass for my liking from Mango for my Fidue a86 iems, currently running standard everything in Rockbox apart from +7db on the bass which is seems to be the sweet spot for my ears. if anyone cares to share some Mango eq settings that add a bit of extra punch I would probably leave Rockbox alone.

Edited to add that I am also getting about 6hrs off the stock battery via Rockbox. 

Make You Factory reset in Mango after update to 2.1.5? I (any others) had problem with playing files in Mango until I make Factory reset. From update I had very little time to listen, so I can not say, if here is any problems in Rockbox.

PS: I am very happy for using RedBox
smily_headphones1.gif

For headwhacker:
I too vote for Lurker´s 2.1.5 L2 with dualboot. Every is better to have choise.

I agree with everybody else about Lurker's 2.1.5 L2 with dualboot. I flashed it and its a noticeable improvement over 2.1.5 L1

Nov 12, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #576 of 1,316

Turns out the database wasn't being loaded to the onboard RAM on startup, causing slowdown/freezes when powering on the Dx90 for 1-2 minutes whilst 119gb of data was being read. Went to General Settings/Database/Load to Ram and set it to "Yes", which has solved the issue.

Nov 12, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #577 of 1,316
  Turns out the database wasn't being loaded to the onboard RAM on startup, causing slowdown/freezes when powering on the Dx90 for 1-2 minutes whilst 119gb of data was being read. Went to General Settings/Database/Load to Ram and set it to "Yes", which has solved the issue.

Good, it proves the problem is with the SD card or at least it's slow reading from it. Even without that option on I don't have any skipping/freezing issues. The UI may freeze sometimes but playback is not getting interrupted.

Nov 13, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #578 of 1,316
For those using "rayboradio_OB" theme:

I was playing with the visuals a little, just to fine tune some graphical elements and I'm quite pleased with the end result.

All work is done within rayboradio folder containing bitmap files (.rockbox/wps/rayboradio_OB). Any picture editor will do the job, it only involves Fill with selected colour and rudimentary contrast/brightnes control. Oh, and the ability to zoom in at least 800%, some of the icons are tiny.

Renamed the original files for easy way back and just left them there. 

1. rayboradio_bg.bmp. The screen background. Wanted to be a little crispier and darker central area for fonts to stand out a little more. Played with various level settings, but at the end auto-contrast button did the trick. Looks very sleek now.

2. batt.bmp. There are four battery indicators and two for charging. What I did here  was to fill the "full" indicator with orange after sampling next.bmp orange to match with the rest of theme.
Next one is filled red (primary color), next with bright yellow and the last (with one bar) bright green. The idea was that if battery is full, all is good and it blends "in" but still better than hard to see (for me anyway) default grey. When it drops below 80% the indicator turns red, then yellow. That gives really nice peripheral "at the first glance" clue that battery is half empty or less. Finally when it is really low, it turns out green, which really stands out from theme colors and will definitely catch the eye and warn you to go and grab the charger.

First I did it other way (green full, red empty) but the reverse logic works better for me here. For more subtle effect, filling the battery outline with white and vertical bars with colors works too. Charge indicators were filled with yellow, but default is OK.

Ensure though that in rockbox Settings the Battery needs to be turned to Graphical (it will still display XX% next to indicator).

3. curentSong.bmp. It is the same color as the title of the song and blends too easily with it. This one I filled its background with red. Same treatment for nextSong indicator.

4. volumeknob.bmp. I looked bit faded to me. Auto-color did the trick. My next project is to go back the memory lane and refresh my lost knowledge in wps editing (did my own theme on iriver 140 long time ago). I want to change dB volume value from black to white or something bright. Can't see the thing without glasses.

Good fun.

I don't want to distribute any files as I'm not sure about copyright issues and intellectual property things involved.

And finally, the bitmaps were saved in 8-bit depth, it should also will work in 16-bit. 24 bit would be overkill for the screen resolution and the size of icons involved.

Cheers.

Nov 13, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #579 of 1,316
  For those using "rayboradio_OB" theme:

I don't want to distribute any files as I'm not sure about copyright issues and intellectual property things involved.

And finally, the bitmaps were saved in 8-bit depth, it should also will work in 16-bit. 24 bit would be overkill for the screen resolution and the size of icons involved.

Cheers.

You can publish modified version of an existing theme. You just need to give credit to the original author.

Nov 15, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #580 of 1,316
Are we really not updating the Rockbox port to include Lurker0's L2 firmware?  I thought headwhaker was pulling our collective legs when he said it was unnecessary. 

I have not seen one single person say L2 was anything but superior to L1.  So why not upgrade the Rockbox build? 

Nov 16, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #581 of 1,316
  Are we really not updating the Rockbox port to include Lurker0's L2 firmware?  I thought headwhaker was pulling our collective legs when he said it was unnecessary. 

I have not seen one single person say L2 was anything but superior to L1.  So why not upgrade the Rockbox build?

There is nothing to update on the Rockbox build. There hasn't been one for more than a month now. 

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #584 of 1,316

There is nothing to update on the Rockbox build. There hasn't been one for more than a month now. 

Hi, we very please for Lurker L2 with dual boot. Rockbox is fast final and iBasso will not release new FW until several months. From I made RedBox, I never use Mango, bun now I must use it for DAC.

PS: Only one think miss in Your RockBox - Zoom in image viewer. On simulator zoom function, but on DX90 not and images are small.

Nov 16, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #585 of 1,316
I have to agree about L2. After trying it out the difference was large enough that I gave up Rockbox and switched back to the default firmware. Its not night and day difference by any means but I was able to hear an immediate difference. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back