RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Oct 1, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #3,301 of 5,998
Does anyone know what the size is of the power supply plug that goes into back of the RME adi2? It would either be a 2.1 or 2.5. I need to know so I can order a psu. I know a lot of people don't believe an upgraded psu makes a difference and I respect that but I have had opposite experience with all me audio gear. I've done it on my preamp, phono preamp, turntable and every time it made things more natural and musical.

Oct 1, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #3,302 of 5,998
Does anyone know what the size is of the power supply plug that goes into back of the RME adi2? It would either be a 2.1 or 2.5. I need to know so I can order a psu. I know a lot of people don't believe an upgraded psu makes a difference and I respect that but I have had opposite experience with all me audio gear. I've done it on my preamp, phono preamp, turntable and every time it made things more natural and musical.

It is a 2.1 plug. What PSU are you looking to order? I'm leaning Teddy Pardo, 12V.

Oct 1, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #3,303 of 5,998
the adi 2 already has an inaudible noise floor. an expensive PSU will bring nothing

Oct 2, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #3,305 of 5,998
Unlike lesser gear the RME has a critically low noise switching supply built in. This power supply accepts a decently wide range of input
DC to power it. The power supply that is external that comes with the DAC is more than sufficient.
Changing the external supply will change nothing...because the RME is fantastically engineered. Lesser equipment will improve perhaps...

The RME won't. It is epic as delivered.

Oct 2, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #3,306 of 5,998
Hi, I am quite new to the audiophile world and still trying to learn.
My current setting is RME adi 2 dac and focal clear professional with high gain setting. I am quite happy with the sound quality and neutral signature.
But will I get improvement after getting an additional headphone amp? (ranging from Lake people G111/ RHNP to Phonitor XE)
Thank you.

Oct 2, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #3,307 of 5,998
Hi, I am quite new to the audiophile world and still trying to learn.
My current setting is RME adi 2 dac and focal clear professional with high gain setting. I am quite happy with the sound quality and neutral signature.
But will I get improvement after getting an additional headphone amp? (ranging from Lake people G111/ RHNP to Phonitor XE)
Thank you.
Probably not. Focal's page says they're designed to run from portable devices. 55 ohms and 104 dB @ 1mW is no problem for the RME amp section.

Oct 2, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #3,309 of 5,998
Thanks. Does it mean that getting an amp with this setting would only helping tuning the sound signature but not increasing performance?
I would not even say that. The RME's parametric EQ is going to be a lot more helpful in tuning predictably than an amp. A solid state amp will generally not have much effect on sound signature and I am not sure but I would guess there is not much to be gained running the Clears off a tube hybrid.

Oct 2, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #3,310 of 5,998
I would not even say that. The RME's parametric EQ is going to be a lot more helpful in tuning predictably than an amp. A solid state amp will generally not have much effect on sound signature and I am not sure but I would guess there is not much to be gained running the Clears off a tube hybrid.

Yes, I agree. Unfortunately I think people sometimes have to hear these changes for themselves and decide. About 18 months ago in this thread a few people were recommending adding the Gilmore Lite Mk2 to improve the sound. I bought it, tried it for myself, decided that it did change the sound but not to my preference, not with the Audeze or Sennheisers I had back then, so I sold it. Maybe for others it helped improve their experience.

Then some 8 months ago I added an OTL tube amp for the Sennheisers and the improvement is clear. Not sure the same would happen for the Focals with this amp. All this to say, sometimes if you are not sure but aching to try, go for it. Worst case scenario you will lose 20% and some time in the sale-resale process, but you will have learned something.

Oct 2, 2020 at 6:37 AM Post #3,311 of 5,998
Yes, I agree. Unfortunately I think people sometimes have to hear these changes for themselves and decide. About 18 months ago in this thread a few people were recommending adding the Gilmore Lite Mk2 to improve the sound. I bought it, tried it for myself, decided that it did change the sound but not to my preference, not with the Audeze or Sennheisers I had back then, so I sold it. Maybe for others it helped improve their experience.

Then some 8 months ago I added an OTL tube amp for the Sennheisers and the improvement is clear. Not sure the same would happen for the Focals with this amp. All this to say, sometimes if you are not sure but aching to try, go for it. Worst case scenario you will lose 20% and some time in the sale-resale process, but you will have learned something.

The Clears will definitely not get along with an OTL amp since they're only 55 ohms. I run my LCD-3 which are rated at 110 ohms off a tube hybrid and it's enjoyable but if somebody already has the RME they have more control over the sound than any amp can provide. It won't make the headphones sound like they're running off a tube amp but you will be able to fix any minor issues you want to. Trying to tune sound signature of low impedance cans with an amp is going to be a fruitless exercise and cost a lot of money.

Oct 2, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #3,312 of 5,998
The Clears will definitely not get along with an OTL amp since they're only 55 ohms. I run my LCD-3 which are rated at 110 ohms off a tube hybrid and it's enjoyable but if somebody already has the RME they have more control over the sound than any amp can provide. It won't make the headphones sound like they're running off a tube amp but you will be able to fix any minor issues you want to. Trying to tune sound signature of low impedance cans with an amp is going to be a fruitless exercise and cost a lot of money.
so I guess this also applies if my next upgrade would be utopia headphone with 80 ohms?

Oct 2, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #3,313 of 5,998
so I guess this also applies if my next upgrade would be utopia headphone with 80 ohms?

Why go for the same tonal balance and not try something organic and beautiful in a different way, like this bad boy. It's 300 ohm, so it will give you a good reason to invest in a nice amp. :)

1.jpg

Oct 2, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #3,314 of 5,998
Yes. I would not expect an amp to have much influence on sound signature. You can spend money on a great amp and get better quality sound out of your headphones though (more resolution, air etc). Save yourself some money and run them off the RME first. If you're happy then done. If not, take your cans and go sit down in a shop and try their amps. No sense throwing thousands of euros/dollars on a whim.

Oct 2, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #3,315 of 5,998
Why go for the same tonal balance and not try something organic and beautiful in a different way, like this bad boy. It's 300 ohm, so it will give you a good reason to invest in a nice amp. :)

1.jpg
Because then he will need to buy an amp :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back