RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Sep 30, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #3,286 of 5,998
I was told RME adi 2 uses a 12 v power supply. Am I understanding correctly that it can use a 15 v outboard power supply? Or is the 12 v the wrong power supply for the RME. Or is it it can use a 12v or 15v with success. I haven't ordered one yet but do plan to in the next week or so.

Sep 30, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #3,287 of 5,998
RME comes with it's own PSU. You can replace it, if you really want to. This is 10th page of RME ADI 2 DAC manual:
6. Power Supply

In order to make operating the ADI-2 DAC as flexible as possible, the unit has a universal DC input socket, accepting voltages from 9.5 Volts up to 15 Volts. An internal switching regulator of the latest technology with high efficiency (> 90%) prevents internal hum noise by operating above audible frequencies. Internally the switching regulator is followed by standard linear regulators, followed by super low-noise linear regulators. Therefore the ADI-2 DAC achieves its technical specs even with less optimal power supplies. Or in other words: the choice of power supply is not critical.

Still the unit includes a high-quality switching power supply, 12 V / 2 A, which not only accepts any mains voltage between 100 V and 240 V (usable world-wide), but is also fully regulated against voltage fluctuations and suppresses line noise. Additionally it only weights 150 g in spite of its high power of 24 Watts.

The DC input of the ADI-2 DAC also allows for the use of a rechargeable lead-battery or LiPo instead of a power supply, for completely independent mobile operation and ground isolation. A matching connection cable (power jack to terminals 6.3 mm) is available from RME. Special power banks in the range of 10,000 mAh and up can be found equipped with a 12 V output. These offer a perfect solution for mobility as well as ground isolated operation, for small money.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #3,288 of 5,998
i was looking for a dac amp, but a cheap one. Apparently those topping dx7 pro have issues, and already 600€. I´m between topping dx3 pro for 220€, or the RME for 750€+tax b-stock...

If you can afford the RME it is one of the best values in hifi. It's a bit fiddly to get it set up but it is hugely customizable and very musical. It does not drive 300 ohm Sennheisers well IMHO.

You can simulate it with APO EQ for Windows. It is also parametrical. Just remember that RME is limited to five bands and you can set gain from -12dB to +12dB and Q from 0.5 to 9.9. Only first and last bands can be shelf filters while all five can be used as peak filters. This does not allow to completely change sound signature but is more than enough to tweak headphones that are already close to your taste.
Parametric EQ is not about changing sound signature. It's about correcting sonic problems. 5 bands is plenty. Some commercial parametric EQ from pro audio companies have only 3 bands.

Sep 30, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #3,289 of 5,998
Parametric EQ is not about changing sound signature. It's about correcting sonic problems. 5 bands is plenty. Some commercial parametric EQ from pro audio companies have only 3 bands.
Why not? Sound wave that comes to human ears is sum of all frequencies in recording. Some people say that soundstage is wide, bass is three-dimensional or vocals has nice texture. Whatever we name it, it is result of sound wave shape. And with parametric EQ you can freely transform it provided that you are not limited by number of bands or headphones technical specs. You can completely change headphones sound signature, if you wish. Surely it is better to get headphones that sounds perfectly out of the box but I am not purist here. I'd prefer comfy headphones + advanced equalisation rather than perfect sound without EQ and having uncomfortable cans. I can agree that PEQ can be used for sonic corrections in HiFi systems when room acoustics influence sound. But in case of headphones this problem is gone and PEQ is all about adjusting sound to personal test IMO. And of course it is hard or impossible to get exactly the same sound that other headphones have but still PEQ can do a lot.

Sep 30, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #3,290 of 5,998
You can simulate it with APO EQ for Windows. It is also parametrical. Just remember that RME is limited to five bands and you can set gain from -12dB to +12dB and Q from 0.5 to 9.9. Only first and last bands can be shelf filters while all five can be used as peak filters. This does not allow to completely change sound signature but is more than enough to tweak headphones that are already close to your taste.

If you're needing to use more than 5 bands on a PEQ then it's probably one of the following reasons

1. You're a sound engineer looking to create something otherworldly

2. Your source material is so screwed that absolutely nothing is going to save it.

3. You don't have single clue about what EQ is, let alone how to use it.

Sep 30, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #3,291 of 5,998
I can't agree with it. In the past I owned Audioquest Nighthawk as PC headphones due to their outstanding comfort. But I completely disliked their sound and I needed more than 5 bands to make their sound at least close to my liking.

Sep 30, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #3,292 of 5,998
I can't agree with it. In the past I owned Audioquest Nighthawk as PC headphones due to their outstanding comfort. But I completely disliked their sound and I needed more than 5 bands to make their sound at least close to my liking.

This did it for me:

Band 1 : G -4.0 F 230 Q 0.7
Band 2 : G - 3.0 F 600 Q 0.5
Band 3: G +6.0 F 950 Q 1.0
Band 4: G +2.0 F 3.0k Q 1.0
Band 5: G +2.0 F 5.0k Q 1.0

I am actually listening to these magic Hawks right now. If I press 4 on the remote the EQ goes away and it's not pleasant. I press 4 again and it's relax and enjoy time. Mind you that 90% of the time I listen to the superb, end-game HD-600 on a nice tube amp, so if the Hawks become acceptable to me with this EQ, it's saying something (to my ears :) ).

Sep 30, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #3,293 of 5,998
Matter of taste. I love HFM Arya sound signature which is far, far from Nighthawks. And I do care about details like timbre of snare drum. Currently I use 5 bands for really little Arya sound correction. By little I mean that I fail AB test in some songs that lack particular sounds. In other songs, on the other hand, I have no problem with 100% result. And this little correction uses 5 bands:
peq.JPG
peq2.JPG
If I would like to create more detailed correction (say one more dip somewhere), I can't. Anyway, RME is a great product and surely I could get satisfying result with 4 bands by merging bands 3 and 4 together but I like to play with PEQ and experiments are much easier when I am not limited to 5 bands.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #3,294 of 5,998
Yes the ProJect Power Box comes with a bounch of cables, the 9v are very thin, won't fit the RME without soldering, and since I was lazy and RME has variable voltage the 15V one fits perfectly without any modification out of the box.

Is the DAC running warmer on 15V than 12V? Not sure which one to go for... I want the best sq but if that means running the unit warmer then I'll stick to 12V.

Oct 1, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #3,295 of 5,998
Is the DAC running warmer on 15V than 12V? Not sure which one to go for... I want the best sq but if that means running the unit warmer then I'll stick to 12V.
It requires 12 volts. It can accept up to 15 volt input but it must dissipate those additional 3 volts as heat. Hence it will run warmer. No need to give it extra voltage if it doesn't need it.

Oct 1, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #3,296 of 5,998
Oct 1, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #3,297 of 5,998
400 euros for 2 amperes output? I'd rather tape and glue together a high performance array of Samsung phone chargers...

Seriously, look into used amateur radio power linear supplies. Built like tanks and huge current capacity and will keep your home warm in the winter.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #3,299 of 5,998
Anyone got suggestions for a portable solution with digital volume control like the RME and high power output? I am using the FiiO Q1 MKii currently, but that can only drive my Focal Clear and HD58X well, not so much my Sundara. I've heard great things about the Chord Mojo, but the short battery life issue is holding me back on purchasing that.

Oct 1, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #3,300 of 5,998

Users who are viewing this thread

Back