RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Oct 2, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #3,316 of 6,034
Why go for the same tonal balance and not try something organic and beautiful in a different way, like this bad boy. It's 300 ohm, so it will give you a good reason to invest in a nice amp. :)

I'd say it's only because I have not tried enough headphones and the focal clear is the first that I really liked.
Actually ADX5000 is also on my list

Oct 2, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #3,317 of 6,034
Hi, I am quite new to the audiophile world and still trying to learn.
My current setting is RME adi 2 dac and focal clear professional with high gain setting. I am quite happy with the sound quality and neutral signature.
But will I get improvement after getting an additional headphone amp? (ranging from Lake people G111/ RHNP to Phonitor XE)
Thank you.
That's my setup too! :)
This is my personal opinion, the ADI-2 DAC is more than you will ever need for the Focal Clear. In fact, if you get a separate amp, you may lose the benefits of the RME's digital volume control, which gives you perfect channel matching with any volume level. The problem with some analog volume controls on separate amps, is the slight channel imbalance when adjusting the volume. It may not be noticeable most of the time, but it is certainly measurable.
I agree with what the others said, only consider an additional amp if you plan to get any harder to drive headphones. Even then, you may not need it because the RME already has high output power.

Oct 2, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #3,318 of 6,034
I´ve read in another place that the RME, when reproducing DSD natively, not DOP, it will have no DSP, no EQ and no volume control... Is this true?
If so, then probably my idea of a dac/amp not worth it really, better separated dac plus headphone amp/pre amp....

Oct 2, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #3,319 of 6,034
I´ve read in another place that the RME, when reproducing DSD natively, not DOP, it will have no DSP, no EQ and no volume control... Is this true?
If so, then probably my idea of a dac/amp not worth it really, better separated dac plus headphone amp/pre amp....
In pure DSD mode then yeah it is available only out the back line level. But you can also use the internal conversion to PCM. I would guess the majority of DACs don't even have pure DSD mode. I think if you have both modes like the RME there is nothing to complain about.

Oct 2, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #3,320 of 6,034
yes, more than complaining, i am interested on knowing the practical part of how it works, so I can decide what to purchase and how to use it, so there are no issues later.

Thing is, right now I have a DAC that also doesnt allow volume change on DSD, at least with the current software setup I am using, but then I have a fully analog headphone amp/pre amp that has full control of the volume no matter what, for both headphones or the connected active studio speakers... The little analog amp/pre-amp allows me that volume change currently, keeping the native DSD, or any dac job, at full volume for max performance. I will therefore loose that hability now with RME if I want to keep using native DSD playback?

Not sure if I explained myself properly or well enough. My current setup stars cost me 630€+VAT in speakers, 200€ in best headphone, to put a 900€ source, it better be perfect or otherwise it's an overkill for my very modest setup.

Oct 3, 2020 at 4:50 AM Post #3,321 of 6,034
ADI 2 drives HD800 decently in hi-power mode or using Auto Ref feature, its more than listenable and good quality but I have heard the HD800 from a dedicated amp perform better. Unless you're freaky like most of us here seeking the best a general consumer would be more than happy.

Oct 3, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #3,322 of 6,034
Hi everyone, I'm hoping I can run some questions by you all about the ADI-2 Pro FS R.

I recently purchase some ZMF Verite Closed headphones and the Ampsandsound Mogwai SE tube amp. I require a DAC, and with the help of some forum members, I think I've landed on the ADI-2 Pro FS R. Have a healthy budget and wanted balanced headphone support, so I figured I'd just buy the higher tier model.

That aside, I'm now wondering how the connections will work. My tube amplifier only has RCA analog inputs, and I'm noticing that this DAC/AMP doesn't have an analog output. What would be the ideal method of connecting the my tube amp to the ADI-2 Pro? Second question is about connecting the balanced headphones with terminate with 4XLR when I want to listen to a solid state amp. What kind of adapter would I require in order to connect this?

Because the ZMF cans are 300ohms, will this amp not run them adequately (performance and power)?

And one last question, will this DAC be too much to deal with for someone who is relatively new to hi-fi audio equipment and settings? The on screen settings are mostly foreign to me, so I'm partly hoping there are some defaults. I'm not opposed to learning though.

Thank you so much for any help you can offer. :)

Oct 3, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #3,323 of 6,034
Probably not the most helpful post, but I just wanted to share how much I’m enjoying the pair ADI-2 / Ananda.
I recently discovered Medici.tv, and OMG, this is heaven for anyone loving Classical music. Anything from chamber to concertos sounds sublime and obviously videos make everything so engaging...just finished watching a live performance of Shostakovich Cello Concerto no. 1 and I even clapped at the end!
Can’t detect anything wrong in the sound, no harshness or lack of power or in the low end...just marvellous notes!

Oct 4, 2020 at 4:11 AM Post #3,324 of 6,034
Here's a crazy thought: since ADI-2 can run on 12V, why not use a computer power supply? They're not too expensive and most do a good job putting out low noise power.
ADI-2 Pro FS R

If you really want the Pro model you can buy XLR to RCA cables but it won't be balanced, your amp only has RCA inputs like you said.

From what I understand you don't need the Pro version unless you want the mic input and doing recording.

The one we're buying is the model that does have RCA outputs on the back.

Its a good DAC and will keep you happy for sometime and it can drive 300ohm headphones quite well.

I use with HD800 and its generally fine, but I will tinker with adding an amp in my own time.

ADI-2-DAC-C.png

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #3,325 of 6,034
If you really want the Pro model you can buy XLR to RCA cables but it won't be balanced, your amp only has RCA inputs like you said.

From what I understand you don't need the Pro version unless you want the mic input and doing recording.

The one we're buying is the model that does have RCA outputs on the back.

Its a good DAC and will keep you happy for sometime and it can drive 300ohm headphones quite well.

I use with HD800 and its generally fine, but I will tinker with adding an amp in my own time.

ADI-2-DAC-C.png

Thanks for your response! I'm going for the pro model because my headphones are balanced and for the upgraded chip mostly. I read the manual and will be going dual 1/4" TS male to dual RCA male — I believe that will work, please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks again!

Oct 4, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #3,326 of 6,034
Thanks for your response! I'm going for the pro model because my headphones are balanced and for the upgraded chip mostly. I read the manual and will be going dual 1/4" TS male to dual RCA male — I believe that will work, please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks again!

That will work balanced straight from the unit itself.

Or you could get the FS model and invest in a balanced amplifier.

Oct 4, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #3,327 of 6,034
What chip upgrade would you be getting with the "Pro"?

Oct 4, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #3,329 of 6,034

Users who are viewing this thread

Back