RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Oct 4, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #3,331 of 6,034
The newest revision of the "non-pro" edition on the market right now is with AK4493 as well. But people generally don't hear any sonic improvement in the DAC section between those two anyway.

Oh, I didn't realize that. Now I just need to decide if the balanced headphone compatibility on the Pro version is worth an extra $1K+. Dang. Do you know if anyone has ever compared the two amps, one in unbalanced and the other balanced? I'm new to hi-fi audio gear, and really don't know what to expect.

Oct 4, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #3,332 of 6,034
Oh, I didn't realize that. Now I just need to decide if the balanced headphone compatibility on the Pro version is worth an extra $1K+. Dang. Do you know if anyone has ever compared the two amps, one in unbalanced and the other balanced? I'm new to hi-fi audio gear, and really don't know what to expect.
The non pro has better audiophile features. Like the nos filter that can smooth out peaky headphones and a dark mode if you want to disable the display while playing. It also measures better.

For that extra money for the pro you could get a separate amp and connect them with a xlr cable something like topping a90 measures better then the adi amp section

In the audio world, pro means pro its analytical for professionals not to enjoy music its to creat music for others to enjoy

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #3,334 of 6,034
For that extra money for the pro you could get a separate amp and connect them wire xlr cable somthing like topping a90 measures better then the adi amp section

Oooo this sounds like a nice combo I did not think of. Anyone here have this combo? I know the general consensus on here is that not many amps that we have tried made enough of an improvement to be worth it.

Oct 5, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #3,335 of 6,034
I just ordered my second RME ADI-2 Dac,
don't know yet what to do with it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
but these days the devices sells at 945€,
incredible cheep especially considering the performance.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #3,337 of 6,034
Hi everyone, I've been following this post, I hope someone can help me.
Someone has used RME as a dac connected by XLR or RCA to a preamp or amplifier?
I've read a lot about your headphone amplifier output, but not for setting up shelf or floor speakers.
I plan to use it with this Emotiva (XPA-2 gen3 Amplifier, XSP-1 gen2 preamp) plus Bowers and Wilkins CM10 S2 equipment. connecting it to the preamp emotive by XLR.
Some comments mention that in hearing aids they sound flat, or with little bass stroke, or soft and boring.
Do you think that in a system like mio get authority and kick at low frequencies mainly on the kick drum?
If low frequency is not enough, can I significantly increase them with EQ and tone control?
I would appreciate and appreciate your thoughts.
If someone already used the dac that way.

Oct 6, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #3,339 of 6,034
RME was my first step into streaming bought it a little over a month ago and have it connected to a Auralic Aries. I need to figure out which type of cable (USB or coax) I would like to invest a little money in either USB or coax it will be going between streamer and dac. Could some one tell me which one they prefer and why. I'm using the stock USB that came with RME and a JPS Labs superconductor first generation from1995. I like both but there different coax is more layed back and natural USB maybe a little edgy but can be solved with EQ, I find USB a little more detailed.Can USB be made to sound layed back/analog like the coax does in my system and keep the detail.

Oct 7, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #3,340 of 6,034
Got my Focal Shape 65 monitors today. Wow! Who would have thought that a German and a couple of French dudes can work so well together! Spectacular detail and imaging, amazing precision. I am extremely happy with the combo. The only issue is these don't have gain control and I have to use them at -50 dBu. Should I reduce the DAC output maybe? I listen headphones at much higher levels, around -20 dBu, but there the speakers would simply ruin my hairdo :D

Oct 7, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #3,341 of 6,034

The balanced headamp possibility is not the reason it costs more (should not be 1K more, btw).. the Pro is also an ADC.

Hi everyone, I've been following this post, I hope someone can help me.
Someone has used RME as a dac connected by XLR or RCA to a preamp or amplifier?
I've read a lot about your headphone amplifier output, but not for setting up shelf or floor speakers.
I plan to use it with this Emotiva (XPA-2 gen3 Amplifier, XSP-1 gen2 preamp) plus Bowers and Wilkins CM10 S2 equipment. connecting it to the preamp emotive by XLR.
Some comments mention that in hearing aids they sound flat, or with little bass stroke, or soft and boring.
Do you think that in a system like mio get authority and kick at low frequencies mainly on the kick drum?
If low frequency is not enough, can I significantly increase them with EQ and tone control?
I would appreciate and appreciate your thoughts.
If someone already used the dac that way.

Yes, many people run the RME into a separate amp. I don't like the way Sennheisers sound out of the RME so a separate amp is good.

RME was my first step into streaming bought it a little over a month ago and have it connected to a Auralic Aries. I need to figure out which type of cable (USB or coax) I would like to invest a little money in either USB or coax it will be going between streamer and dac. Could some one tell me which one they prefer and why. I'm using the stock USB that came with RME and a JPS Labs superconductor first generation from1995. I like both but there different coax is more layed back and natural USB maybe a little edgy but can be solved with EQ, I find USB a little more detailed.Can USB be made to sound layed back/analog like the coax does in my system and keep the detail.

I think people who buy RME products do not believe in cables. I doubt you can run most streamers into a DAC over USB. You're going to need coax, optical, etc.

Oct 7, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #3,342 of 6,034
Gemmeheadroom, my streamer has USB and coax out as well as others but I will only be using the 2 mentioned. I respect your views but do not agree that all people that buy RME do not believe in cables. There has to be someone that prefers one or the other. I hear a difference between the 2. Coax comes across more natural but wondering if that can be achieved with USB or does USB brings out more detail due to what I'm hearing.

Oct 7, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #3,343 of 6,034
Gemmeheadroom, my streamer has USB and coax out as well as others but I will only be using the 2 mentioned. I respect your views but do not agree that all people that buy RME do not believe in cables. There has to be someone that prefers one or the other. I hear a difference between the 2. Coax comes across more natural but wondering if that can be achieved with USB or does USB brings out more detail due to what I'm hearing.

Edited; ok, I see what it is now. Coax and optical s/pdif are rated to 24/192. If you want high rate PCM or DSD it may work with those but USB would be better.

I still don't see a reason for either one to be better or worse when used within the rated speeds.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back