RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Sep 17, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #3,256 of 5,998
Just telling you what might the program can do for you while watching videos. Of course it depends on you/your experience/beliefs.

Give it a try: link
I never tried oversampling i will give it a try thanks

Sep 23, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #3,257 of 5,998
for the mac users out there, what do you prefer for music; foobar or audirvana? is there a foobar for mac? I´m really happy with audirvana, much better than itunes, it can play flac and dsd, and it changes the dac sample rate automatically for each track...

Sep 23, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #3,258 of 5,998
Audirvana has a great sound engine and Tidal And Qobuz integration. I always have Audirvana running on the server but I normally use roon. I used foobar in my windows days but was happy to ditch it when I switched to mac. I also run Jriver on the server for remote hi rez playback.

Sep 24, 2020 at 12:30 AM Post #3,259 of 5,998
I'm currently using this paired with Hifiman Aryas and some Beyerdynamic DT990 dailies, it is absolutely wonderful. This is after swapping from a Schiit stack of a Bifrost/Lyr2 I grabbed info on a good EQ for the Aryas from a wiki and it really cleaned up the sound overall on those. Since it is so close to me all the time the remote is still in the wrapper though! Probably my best audio investment next to the Aryas.

I do wonder if I am getting the most out of it since there are so many settings, though. (Using FLAC files / Amazon Music Ultra HD)

Sep 24, 2020 at 1:53 AM Post #3,260 of 5,998
I'm currently using this paired with Hifiman Aryas and some Beyerdynamic DT990 dailies, it is absolutely wonderful. This is after swapping from a Schiit stack of a Bifrost/Lyr2 I grabbed info on a good EQ for the Aryas from a wiki and it really cleaned up the sound overall on those. Since it is so close to me all the time the remote is still in the wrapper though! Probably my best audio investment next to the Aryas.

I do wonder if I am getting the most out of it since there are so many settings, though. (Using FLAC files / Amazon Music Ultra HD)
I completely agree with you about both the Aryas and RME playing very well together and that both were amazing investments.

Sep 26, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #3,261 of 5,998
I purchased the RME yesterday for my HD800, it drives them well enough in hi-power mode but I have heard more dynamics and thickness from a dedicated amp. The problem I see is because the ADI and its headphone out are so clean sounding and high in resolution adding many cheaper amps from here will degrade the signal taking you backwards. You'll need a dedicated amp of equal quality to take full advantage.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #3,262 of 5,998
Ordered a couple of Focal Shape 65 monitors today. Hope they'll sound good with the ADI-2 out of the balanced connection. Since the Shapes are active speakers it means that the ADI-2 is the only device required on my desk (2.0 X 1.0 m), other than the speakers and the PC monitor of course. Total price of this hi-fi mini-system is around US $2,100 and if it sounds like I think it will, I could not be happier. Anyone driving some quality active speakers/monitors with the RME? How do you find it?

Sep 27, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #3,263 of 5,998
There is new firmware for the adi released a month ago. I don't know if everyone knows that. There are no patch notes sadly.

Sep 27, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #3,264 of 5,998
There is new firmware for the adi released a month ago. I don't know if everyone knows that. There are no patch notes sadly.

From the forum thread it looks like startup power management was changed.

Sep 27, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #3,266 of 5,998
Ordered a couple of Focal Shape 65 monitors today. Hope they'll sound good with the ADI-2 out of the balanced connection. Since the Shapes are active speakers it means that the ADI-2 is the only device required on my desk (2.0 X 1.0 m), other than the speakers and the PC monitor of course. Total price of this hi-fi mini-system is around US $2,100 and if it sounds like I think it will, I could not be happier. Anyone driving some quality active speakers/monitors with the RME? How do you find it?

I'm using the Alpha 65s right out of the ADI-2 and they sound fantastic. I was going to get the Shape originally, but the side panel passive radiators simply would not work in my setup - I need front ported.

I think you'll be very happy for years to come.

Sep 28, 2020 at 4:35 AM Post #3,267 of 5,998
I'm using the Alpha 65s right out of the ADI-2 and they sound fantastic. I was going to get the Shape originally, but the side panel passive radiators simply would not work in my setup - I need front ported.

I think you'll be very happy for years to come.
I have a similar set up but with presonus temblor t10 and eris e5 monitors. I also have a small mixer for my synths all going into the t10 balanced trs inputs. I wanted to input my rme into the xlr inputs of the t10 separately, and then the rca outputs of the rme into a separate pair of desktop studio monitors. Connecting both balanced into the rme seems to disable one of them, so I'm having to connect the rme to the mixers balanced xlr input, with everything going through the mixer, which has two outputs to t10 and my desktop monitors. Sounds OK tbh but wondering if there is a way to keep the rme in a dedicated link to my monitors over balanced xlr without disabling the mixer inputs? Also not sure if I would lose a volume control over the rme - assume it's fixed line output? The rme is for listening pleasure only as I I have separate audio interfaces for recording.

Cheers
David

Sep 28, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #3,270 of 5,998
After a few weeks of testing the power on the ADI-2 with its original power supply and the Audiophonics 90 Euro linear power supply it was a toss up between them. With some songs I'd prefer the original psu, with others the linear one. That really shows how good the psu that comes with the ADI-2 is. For example with other dacs, Qutest the difference was obvious between the switching mode psu and a linear one. I also really love the the RME has variable voltage, between 9v-15v, that makes things much easier.

But apparently not all linear power supplies are made the same. Found that out after buying the Pro-Ject Power Box DS 2 Sources and comparing it with the Audiophonics one. Of course the price difference is huge between them, but in the end for me it was worth it. So how is the Pro-Ject linear psu compared with the stock RME power supply? Well now the difference is obvious from the first song, the linear psu is much much better. The sound becomes thicker, with more texture, the voices have a better impact and the biggest difference is with the instruments, they sound a lot more lifelike now. I hate to use this word, but everything sounds more 'analog' now. Thats the best way to describe it.

The RME ADI-2 with the Pro-Ject Power Box DS2 is on another level, didn't think that was possible since the RME was incredible already with its stock psu. If you are chasing the last %'s of sound quality like me buying the linear psu was a no brainer. This is my personal opinion, and all of us have different hearing and tastes, but with a good linear power supply the ADI-2 becomes sublime. The difference is so profound that I could never go back to stock. But if you already enjoy the stock psu sound ignore everything I wrote, your wallet will thank you later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back