Rhapsodio - An overlooked brand of nice IEMs
Dec 10, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #1,141 of 2,508
  ...If only I was just starting out...
confused_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif

Then I am sure you will appreciate the treble of solar. I certainly do now, but I doubt I will if it's three years ago, that's the point I was making. :)

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #1,142 of 2,508
Then I am sure you will appreciate the treble of solar. I certainly do now, but I doubt I will if it's three years ago, that's the point I was making. :)

Any reason you took the universal over the custom? I'm kinda torn between both now.

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #1,143 of 2,508
Rhapsodio Solar Universal Review: V-shape King

Build Quality and Packaging:

The build quality of Solar universal is top class. As you can see, the 24k gold shell/faceplate design is absolutely a candy to the eye. The silver 4-wired cable is another feature that stands out because you don’t normally get this type of cable from a universal IEM package. Two types of canal tips (spinfit and wind tips) are included with different size options you can pick. The wind tips (red) is more like a wrap you put around the canal tubes, so it doesn’t take away much of the original sound of Solar making it the closest sounding to the custom version. The spinfit (white) tips provide a slightly more 3D soundstage and a bit more warmth and smoothness to the overall signature, which IMO is better for listening to vocals. The size of the Solar earpiece is larger than the average universals such as Shure or Westone IEMs, thus while the fit is fine, a portion of the shell is sticking out from my ears (but not to the extent of JH layla or Angie universals). Since it’s a universal IEM, the isolation is average, but still high enough to block the sound from the outer environment when playing music, unless someone is shouting at you. Actually the sound leak of universal has its own advantage over the custom version in terms of soundstage, you get a more sense of air and space from the universal. The comparison is similar to closed vs. open headphone, though not to that obvious extent. And you also got the choice to play with different tips to get different sound preferences.

Sound:

For review purpose, the smallest wind tips (red) are used, because it provides deepest insertion and most sealed experience for me, hence providing the most original sound for the Solar.

The very first listening-section is very important for me because it can pretty much sum up whether I will like the IEM or not. For me, I always like the music to sound realistic and natural with only slight allowance of twist/emphasis here and there. Thus if an IEM is very colored, I will instantly know that it’s not my cup of tea. And I don’t get excited easily since I have owned more than 20 CIEMs. With that being said, Solar is one of the few IEMs that still get me amped up. The minute I put them on, I know I am encountering something special here. Superb clarity, resolution and dynamics without overly done, everything just sounds so effortless. Many thanks to Mim for the recommendation.

I only have Astell&Kern 380 as my source right now, so sadly I won’t be able to compare Solar regarding to different DAC/DAP systems. The Solar can also be easily driven very well with iphone 6 (~half the volume is the highest I can take), making it a great on-go option. The review is done after extended periods of careful listening.

Bass:

The bass on Solar is one of the aspects that stand out the most. The impact and presence of the bass is slightly more than neutral. But for people who like some extra bloom, it sound just satisfying! The texture is superb with plentiful detail, thanks to the treble. The quality of bass is more like JH Roxanne/UM mentor type rather than noble K10’s, so it’s very clean and punchy with slightly faster decay than normal. The extension of bass is awesome producing rumbling up to almost 20 Hz. What’s great is the balance between the sub, mid and upper bass region. No specific area is lacking, thus giving rise to a very coherent and complete overall bass performance. The bass also is greatly integrated with the mid section, producing no mid disturbance or incoherence what so ever. I don’t feel like the bass is dominant when listening to normal bass-level songs. But when it’s called for in some bass strong music, that’s where the capability of bass becoming impressive. I just can’t stop knocking my head with the deep, punchy and tight bass slam. So whether you are a bass head or not, you will be amazed by the incredible bass Solar offers. When switched to the spinfit (white) tips, it scattered out some of the treble, thus making the bass slightly more natural in terms of ADSR.

Midrange:

The mid region of Solar is clean, clear with a lot of detail, producing excellent instruments imaging and separation. Its overall presentation is slightly laid back in contrast to bass and treble, but not making is anyway too recessed. It just doesn’t get the most attention within the whole spectrum. And to my ears there isn’t any obvious hump or cut throughout the whole midrange (250-5000 Hz), so again very coherent. Certainly the mid is not as evolving as the spiral ear SE5 Ult, but the distant presentation provides another listening perspective allowing you to capture the performance as an audience in front of a stage rather than in a recording studio. Both male and female vocals sound good on Solar with great resolution and clarity. When switched to the spinfit (white) tips, the minor reduction of treble quantity exposed more mid-section, providing a more evolving, smoother and fuller sound. So if you want to take a break and relax from the high resolving, detailed presentation, spinfit tips are recommended.

Treble:

Along with the bass, the treble of the Solar is another aspect that stands out the most. With forwardness of the lower treble region (6-9k Hz), it produces excellent clarity and airiness with sharp, pinpoint type focus/imaging enabling you to capture every little detail being presented in the music. The note attack and decay is also on the faster side of the spectrum. The treble character makes the Solar a master in presenting instruments. No matter it’s normal pop, heavy rock, or even very aggressive metal, Solar handles any type of instrument density/speed effortlessly with clean and tidy performance. The treble extension is just as great as my other top end CIEMs (audible up to over 19 Hz), only fall behind the most extended CIEMs such as spiral ear SE5 Ref or JH audio 13FP. Although the upper treble isn’t dominating much, the Solar is still very transparent, so you won’t get the “veiled feeling” in IEMs like Roxanne due to its extremely dramatic treble extension roll off. Overall the treble is capable of producing a lot of sparkles while maintaining superb smoothness and liquidity. The Solar finds its sweet point where the music is presented in a clear and articulated way yet not getting in the trouble of any sibilance, which is very well done.

Presentation:

The Solar presents great space in the music with approximately equal width (x, y) and depth (z). The soundstage is as large as top end CIEMs like spiral ear SE5 or Hidition NT6, but fall a little short compared to Tralucent 1+2 or JH Roxanne. Although the absolute resolution is not as high as SE5, its high clarity and airiness from the lifted lower treble make it equally detailed, just in a different way. Note ADSR is fast type of natural across the frequency spectrum which makes sense due to its slightly V shaped sound signature. The coherence from bottom to the top is impressive! I cannot notice any obvious cut or hump throughout the whole spectrum, especially around the bass-mid and mid-treble connecting regions. Overall the Solar is slightly on the brighter side of neutral with combination of great fun and accuracy.

Summary:

With its fun, exciting and unique sound signature, the Solar is more than incredible, definitely within my favorite IEMs/CIEMs. It is the best V-shaped IEM I have ever heard to date. The perfectly integrated bass, mid and treble really take you right into the music, and make you forget you are actually listening to an earphone. I am even considering going for the custom version! It’s an all-rounder that is capable of playing any type of genre of music from rock, metal, classical, jazz to pop, R&B and hip hop. While the never sibilant, clear vocal sounds superb on Solar, the instrumental performance is absolutely top class. IMO it can fit most of people’s taste for enjoying music regardless you want an easy-to-listen-to or audiophile type IEM.

The Solar vs. Spiral Ear SE5 Ult:

These two ear monitors sound very different in terms of almost everything. SE5 Ult has a laid back, warm and fuller sound while Solar’s presentation is clearer, thinner and brighter. The bass of SE5 Ult is more natural in terms of ADSR and quantity with slightly better extension. Solar’s bass is faster and punchier with more presence. The texture is excellent on both with SE5 Ult conveying slightly more micro detail. SE5’s mid is fuller providing much more evolving sound density while Solar’s overall presentation is more forward with more clarity and brightness in the vocals and instruments. Although Solar is clearer and airier, SE5 Ult has more extended treble leading to a better sense of overall transparency and resolution. Dynamics is similar between the two with Solar producing slightly more sparkle and excitement in the instruments. For me, these two complement each other very well.

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #1,144 of 2,508
Rhapsodio Solar Universal Review: V-shape King

Build Quality and Packaging:

The build quality of Solar universal is top class. As you can see, the 24k gold shell/faceplate design is absolutely a candy to the eye. The silver 4-wired cable is another feature that stands out because you don’t normally get this type of cable from a universal IEM package. Two types of canal tips (spinfit and wind tips) are included with different size options you can pick. The wind tips (red) is more like a wrap you put around the canal tubes, so it doesn’t take away much of the original sound of Solar making it the closest sounding to the custom version. The spinfit (white) tips provide a slightly more 3D soundstage and a bit more warmth and smoothness to the overall signature, which IMO is better for listening to vocals. The size of the Solar earpiece is larger than the average universals such as Shure or Westone IEMs, thus while the fit is fine, a portion of the shell is sticking out from my ears (but not to the extent of JH layla or Angie universals). Since it’s a universal IEM, the isolation is average, but still high enough to block the sound from the outer environment when playing music, unless someone is shouting at you. Actually the sound leak of universal has its own advantage over the custom version in terms of soundstage, you get a more sense of air and space from the universal. The comparison is similar to closed vs. open headphone, though not to that obvious extent. And you also got the choice to play with different tips to get different sound preferences.

Sound:

For review purpose, the smallest wind tips (red) are used, because it provides deepest insertion and most sealed experience for me, hence providing the most original sound for the Solar.

The very first listening-section is very important for me because it can pretty much sum up whether I will like the IEM or not. For me, I always like the music to sound realistic and natural with only slight allowance of twist/emphasis here and there. Thus if an IEM is very colored, I will instantly know that it’s not my cup of tea. And I don’t get excited easily since I have owned more than 20 CIEMs. With that being said, Solar is one of the few IEMs that still get me amped up. The minute I put them on, I know I am encountering something special here. Superb clarity, resolution and dynamics without overly done, everything just sounds so effortless. Many thanks to Mim for the recommendation.

I only have Astell&Kern 380 as my source right now, so sadly I won’t be able to compare Solar regarding to different DAC/DAP systems. The Solar can also be easily driven very well with iphone 6 (~half the volume is the highest I can take), making it a great on-go option. The review is done after extended periods of careful listening.

Bass:

The bass on Solar is one of the aspects that stand out the most. The impact and presence of the bass is slightly more than neutral. But for people who like some extra bloom, it sound just satisfying! The texture is superb with plentiful detail, thanks to the treble. The quality of bass is more like JH Roxanne/UM mentor type rather than noble K10’s, so it’s very clean and punchy with slightly faster decay than normal. The extension of bass is awesome producing rumbling up to almost 20 Hz. What’s great is the balance between the sub, mid and upper bass region. No specific area is lacking, thus giving rise to a very coherent and complete overall bass performance. The bass also is greatly integrated with the mid section, producing no mid disturbance or incoherence what so ever. I don’t feel like the bass is dominant when listening to normal bass-level songs. But when it’s called for in some bass strong music, that’s where the capability of bass becoming impressive. I just can’t stop knocking my head with the deep, punchy and tight bass slam. So whether you are a bass head or not, you will be amazed by the incredible bass Solar offers. When switched to the spinfit (white) tips, it scattered out some of the treble, thus making the bass slightly more natural in terms of ADSR.

Midrange:

The mid region of Solar is clean, clear with a lot of detail, producing excellent instruments imaging and separation. Its overall presentation is slightly laid back in contrast to bass and treble, but not making is anyway too recessed. It just doesn’t get the most attention within the whole spectrum. And to my ears there isn’t any obvious hump or cut throughout the whole midrange (250-5000 Hz), so again very coherent. Certainly the mid is not as evolving as the spiral ear SE5 Ult, but the distant presentation provides another listening perspective allowing you to capture the performance as an audience in front of a stage rather than in a recording studio. Both male and female vocals sound good on Solar with great resolution and clarity. When switched to the spinfit (white) tips, the minor reduction of treble quantity exposed more mid-section, providing a more evolving, smoother and fuller sound. So if you want to take a break and relax from the high resolving, detailed presentation, spinfit tips are recommended.

Treble:

Along with the bass, the treble of the Solar is another aspect that stands out the most. With forwardness of the lower treble region (6-9k Hz), it produces excellent clarity and airiness with sharp, pinpoint type focus/imaging enabling you to capture every little detail being presented in the music. The note attack and decay is also on the faster side of the spectrum. The treble character makes the Solar a master in presenting instruments. No matter it’s normal pop, heavy rock, or even very aggressive metal, Solar handles any type of instrument density/speed effortlessly with clean and tidy performance. The treble extension is just as great as my other top end CIEMs (audible up to over 19 Hz), only fall behind the most extended CIEMs such as spiral ear SE5 Ref or JH audio 13FP. Although the upper treble isn’t dominating much, the Solar is still very transparent, so you won’t get the “veiled feeling” in IEMs like Roxanne due to its extremely dramatic treble extension roll off. Overall the treble is capable of producing a lot of sparkles while maintaining superb smoothness and liquidity. The Solar finds its sweet point where the music is presented in a clear and articulated way yet not getting in the trouble of any sibilance, which is very well done.

Presentation:

The Solar presents great space in the music with approximately equal width (x, y) and depth (z). The soundstage is as large as top end CIEMs like spiral ear SE5 or Hidition NT6, but fall a little short compared to Tralucent 1+2 or JH Roxanne. Although the absolute resolution is not as high as SE5, its high clarity and airiness from the lifted lower treble make it equally detailed, just in a different way. Note ADSR is fast type of natural across the frequency spectrum which makes sense due to its slightly V shaped sound signature. The coherence from bottom to the top is impressive! I cannot notice any obvious cut or hump throughout the whole spectrum, especially around the bass-mid and mid-treble connecting regions. Overall the Solar is slightly on the brighter side of neutral with combination of great fun and accuracy.

Summary:

With its fun, exciting and unique sound signature, the Solar is more than incredible, definitely within my favorite IEMs/CIEMs. It is the best V-shaped IEM I have ever heard to date. The perfectly integrated bass, mid and treble really take you right into the music, and make you forget you are actually listening to an earphone. I am even considering going for the custom version! It’s an all-rounder that is capable of playing any type of genre of music from rock, metal, classical, jazz to pop, R&B and hip hop. While the never sibilant, clear vocal sounds superb on Solar, the instrumental performance is absolutely top class. IMO it can fit most of people’s taste for enjoying music regardless you want an easy-to-listen-to or audiophile type IEM.

The Solar vs. Spiral Ear SE5 Ult:

These two ear monitors sound very different in terms of almost everything. SE5 Ult has a laid back, warm and fuller sound while Solar’s presentation is clearer, thinner and brighter. The bass of SE5 Ult is more natural in terms of ADSR and quantity with slightly better extension. Solar’s bass is faster and punchier with more presence. The texture is excellent on both with SE5 Ult conveying slightly more micro detail. SE5’s mid is fuller providing much more evolving sound density while Solar’s overall presentation is more forward with more clarity and brightness in the vocals and instruments. Although Solar is clearer and airier, SE5 Ult has more extended treble leading to a better sense of overall transparency and resolution. Dynamics is similar between the two with Solar producing slightly more sparkle and excitement in the instruments.
Very nice review.

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #1,145 of 2,508
Never mind the graph. I took it off. Doesn't help much here, since it's a solar review :)

Dec 10, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #1,146 of 2,508
  Never mind the graph. I took it off. Doesn't help much here, since it's a solar review :)

i saved it for future reference 
wink.gif

btw , excellent review and you also included the SE5ult which will stay my dream (never to come true) iem 
tongue.gif

Dec 10, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #1,147 of 2,508
Informative and detailed review, thanks Tupac now I'm leaning towards universals bcos of the shorter wait time, cheaper price and changeable eartips. Tip my hat off to you, sir.

Dec 10, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #1,150 of 2,508
Very informative and well written review tupac. Am liking the sound of the solar more and more. My wallet thinks otherwise :) So would the solar be the k10 on steroids do you think? Heard people say it keeps the k10s glorious mids and improves on everything else.

Dec 10, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #1,151 of 2,508
Very informative and well written review tupac. Am liking the sound of the solar more and more. My wallet thinks otherwise
smily_headphones1.gif
So would the solar be the k10 on steroids do you think? Heard people say it keeps the k10s glorious mids and improves on everything else.

I'll let you know next week - lol 
biggrin.gif

+1 on the great review Tupac - makes the waiting even more difficult!

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #1,155 of 2,508
Very informative and well written review tupac. Am liking the sound of the solar more and more. My wallet thinks otherwise :) So would the solar be the k10 on steroids do you think? Heard people say it keeps the k10s glorious mids and improves on everything else.

Pretty much this. For me it's a K10 with a bit more treble detail and kick down low...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back