Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI (interesting dynamic + BA full size headphones)
Feb 19, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #1,502 of 2,057

That sounds rather more like excellent customer service to me!
Sennheiser were similarly superb when I needed to return my IE800's.

Yeah - that's how I felt.
But at the same time it sounded too good to be true.
Isn't it crazy that I had this feeling that there must be something wrong just because I didn't expect such a good move? (I do mean this to be taken as a self - reflection)

Agreed. Surprising move from Sintron and it deserves to be praised.

Lets hear how the Sonorous sounds to you compared to what you're used to ^^

It would be really helpful to get some kind of comparison chart from FAD explaining the differences between each of the Sonorous models.

From casual inspection, I can't see any change between II, III, IV and VI other than the latter uses metal earpieces, plus the ongoing confusion over which pads come with each and which sound best.

Black sliders on the II and III would have been cool making it stealthy all black. Website says they're based on the X with dynamic drivers.
Must .. know .. pricing ..

Isn't it the case only the original VI has the VI pads and all the rest hasn't? Talk about confusion 
regular_smile .gif

Feb 19, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #1,503 of 2,057

Isn't it the case only the original VI has the VI pads and all the rest hasn't? Talk about confusion 
regular_smile%20.gif

I think it's even more confusing than that. Only some of the Pandora VI (6) have the original 'VI' pads but later units have the Hope IV (4) pads. As do the Sonorous IV & VI...I think.

Even more confusing is that the original pads are referred to as Type B whereas the newer ones are Type A (introduced alongside the Hope IV). Although going by Final's numbering conventions they like to defy logic :wink:

We were promised a 'report' from Final's engineers on explaining all the pads variants (A, B & C?) some time back but I don't think that ever materialised. I suspect they may be just as confused as the rest of us 
biggrin.gif

As much as I like their products as a company I find them incredibly frustrating at times (the reps have helped to a degree to be fair though). Reading the incredibly vague descriptions of the new headphones I can't even hazard a guess at what I'd be getting sound wise so for now they're not even under consideration.

Feb 19, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #1,504 of 2,057

regular_smile%20.gif

I think it's even more confusing than that. Only some of the Pandora VI (6) have the original 'VI' pads but later units have the Hope IV (4) pads. As do the Sonorous IV & VI...I think.

Even more confusing is that the original pads are referred to as Type B whereas the newer ones are Type A (introduced alongside the Hope IV). Although going by Final's numbering conventions they like to defy logic :wink:

We were promised a 'report' from Final's engineers on explaining all the pads variants (A, B & C?) some time back but I don't think that ever materialised. I suspect they may be just as confused as the rest of us 
biggrin.gif

As much as I like their products as a company I find them incredibly frustrating at times (the reps have helped to a degree to be fair though). Reading the incredibly vague descriptions of the new headphones I can't even hazard a guess at what I'd be getting sound wise so for now they're not even under consideration.

Thanks jf,

Looks like @Final US owes us one right? Right. I reckon a ''heard it here first'' on the prices as make up will be accepted by most ^^

Feb 19, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #1,505 of 2,057

biggrin.gif

I apologize that there is confusion on our ear pads.  

We currently have 3 types of ear pads:  Type A (Sponge), Type B (Low Compression), and Type C (Hybrid Sponge and Low Compression).

The original pad that was included with the Pandora IV & VI was the type A pad.  When we changed the name from Pandora to Sonorous in 2015 the pad type was still a Type A.  

The Type B pad was designed to be an accessory for those who were looking for a better seal as provided by the Low Compression material.  

The new Type C pad was designed to match the acoustic requirements of the Sonorous VIII & X which also launched in 2015.

Feb 19, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #1,506 of 2,057

Thanks jf,

Looks like @Final US owes us one right? Right. I reckon a ''heard it here first'' on the prices as make up will be accepted by most ^^

We can but hope (no pun intended) :wink:

Quote:

I apologize that there is confusion on our ear pads.  

We currently have 3 types of ear pads:  Type A (Sponge), Type B (Low Compression), and Type C (Hybrid Sponge and Low Compression).

The original pad that was included with the Pandora IV & VI was the type A pad.  When we changed the name from Pandora to Sonorous in 2015 the pad type was still a Type A.  

The Type B pad was designed to be an accessory for those who were looking for a better seal as provided by the Low Compression material.  

The new Type C pad was designed to match the acoustic requirements of the Sonorous VIII & X which also launched in 2015.

Thanks for the reply @Final US

Don't mean to nitpick as it's water under the bridge now but the bit in bold doesn't correspond with my understanding. For simplicity I'll differentiate as 4 & 6 as the reversed roman numerals do get confusing.

When the Hope 6 (which pre-dates the 4) was originally launched the english product description on the Final Japan website (don't think there was a Final US or EU at the time) stated that the headphone would come with a 'limited time' pad whilst stocks lasted. Once stocks ran out customers would receive the 'standard' pad. 

I have purchased both the Type A & B pads from one of the EU distributors and the Type B pads I received (or 'low repulsion' as they're referred to on the box) are identical to the pads that originally came with my Hope 6 both in terms of depth and how they sound. The Type A pads are a bit deeper and sound markedly different to my ears.

I know that one reviewer, who has reviewed both the Hope 4 & 6 a couple of years back, also noted that the pads on the Hope 4 were different to those on his Hope 6. Over the past couple of years a few members here have been able to identify the pads they have on their Hope 6 and some had Type A and some Type B. Generally those who bought more recently had the Type A which seems consistent with the 'limited' nature of the original pads.

As I say it's in the past now but I think the picture was a bit less clear than is outlined.

Edit: managed to find a post I recalled from a while back. One of our members, Licht, translated the Hope VI japanese product page and it refers to the plan to change pads:

jellofund, the former one.
It is written on the official website. Maybe added recently though.
They say, 
>  *As a special bonus, ear pads made from low-resilience sponge have been included with this product.
> This special bonus will revert back to the standard sponge type ear pads when stocks commemorating the release of the product sell out.

Sorry I cannot put link here since I am newcomer and not allowed to write link yet.

They say that the sound of two pads differs as well.
Low-resilience: superior bass reproduction
Standard: superior in terms of the reproduction of clear sound in the medium and high ranges

Feb 19, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #1,507 of 2,057
My Padora VI came with type B pads as well, purchased around Christmas of '14. According to all the reports, they're the low repulsion type with shallow cups.

Feb 19, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #1,508 of 2,057
Looks like still confusing.

Quote:
  Edit: managed to find a post I recalled from a while back. One of our members, Licht, translated the Hope VI japanese product page and it refers to the plan to change pads:

Actually I didn't translate but just copied from official site English page. I regret I didn't save the screenshot.

For now I found that comment on official direct shop in Japanese for the Pads.

http://final-audio-design-directshop.com/fs/final/FI-EPPA/FI-EPPADX

※AタイプはSONOROUS VI(旧称:PANDORA HOPE VI)の発売特典終了後の製品とSONOROUS IV(旧称:PANDORA HOPE IV)に装備している製品です。
※BタイプはSONOROUS VI(旧称:PANDORA HOPE VI)の発売特典として装備していた製品です。 

That means (this is my translation):
*A type is a product sold with SONOROUS VI (former PANDORA HOPE VI) after special bonus on launch ended, and SONOROUS IV (former PANDORA HOPE IV)
*B type is a product sold with SONOROUS VI (former PANDORA HOPE VI) as a special bonus for a limited period after its product launch.

Feb 20, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #1,509 of 2,057
Thanks thor777 & Licht for your input gents.

Sorry for the misunderstanding Licht. Your translation is consistent with  my understanding of things and what I used to see on dealer's product pages.

The boxed pads I have that match the stock pads that came with my Hope VI have the reference EPPADX on the box (type B in other words).

Interestingly the company I bought from (Final Audio NL) still continues to  differentiate between the 2 pad variants by calling them Pandora IV & VI, which again suggests both headphones originally used different pads: http://www.finalaudio.nl/en/webshop.html

The only reason I keep banging on about this (sorry for sounding like a broken record!) is that I think the pads you use considerably changes the way the Hope / Sonorous VI sounds, so if someone reads glowing reviews (likely using Type B) and then find the headphones don't meet expectations they may sell or return when in reality a simple pad swap might do the trick*. Fortunately Massdrop seem to supply both pad variants with their drops so that removes a lot of uncertainty or additional expense for the buyer.

(* although perceived sound quality may be improved at the expense of comfort...or vice versa. In which case 3rd party pads might strike a better balance)

Feb 20, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #1,510 of 2,057
I personally think FAD needs to seriously consider going back to the drawing board and design completely new pads for the Sonorus line. Came very close to selling mine VI because I felt the A and B pads didn't deliver on multiple fronts.

Feb 20, 2016 at 7:08 AM Post #1,511 of 2,057

Yes the Pandora Hope VI sound signature greatly differs by pads.
I prefer the B type (low resilience) better but still felt somewhat harsh.
Mod by using fabric or sponge filters made difference but not a good solution considering significant effect to sound stage and mid/low presence.

But finally, I got Chord Mojo (DAC PHPA) recently and it made it!
Really nice match with Pandora Hope VI.
Harshness disappear, bit recessed mid become fluid and full and become very well balanced across the frequency range.
I don't have to think of selling Pandora Hope anymore.
I've heard that both CEOs in Chord and final likes this pair (Pandora Hope VI and Mojo)!
That was a happy surprise for me.
Give a try if you have a chance.

Feb 20, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #1,512 of 2,057

Yes the Pandora Hope VI sound signature greatly differs by pads.
I prefer the B type (low resilience) better but still felt somewhat harsh.
Mod by using fabric or sponge filters made difference but not a good solution considering significant effect to sound stage and mid/low presence.

But finally, I got Chord Mojo (DAC PHPA) recently and it made it!
Really nice match with Pandora Hope VI.
Harshness disappear, bit recessed mid become fluid and full and become very well balanced across the frequency range.
I don't have to think of selling Pandora Hope anymore.
I've heard that both CEOs in Chord and final likes this pair (Pandora Hope VI and Mojo)!
That was a happy surprise for me.
Give a try if you have a chance.

Thanks a lot man. I've been trying to talk myself out of buying the Mojo. Now I might have to. 
mad.gif

Feb 22, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #1,514 of 2,057

Agreed. Surprising move from Sintron and it deserves to be praised.

Lets hear how the Sonorous sounds to you compared to what you're used to ^^

Black sliders on the II and III would have been cool making it stealthy all black. Website says they're based on the X with dynamic drivers.
Must .. know .. pricing ..

regular_smile%20.gif

Well  - didnt have a lot of time for comparison, but as far as I can hear there is no real difference in sound between the Pandora Hope VI and the Sonorous VI.
The biggest difference I could realize was generated by the different earpads. I didn't like the sound with the new stock earpad much (too muffled and bloated bass to my taste, with the new stock pads I couldn't hear the beautiful presentation of the mids that the PH VI produces with the "original" original earpads.

I am using the Shure 840 pads again - with these there is no discernible difference in sound to me between the Sonorous and the PH VI. 
The biggest difference is in the cable (the connectors were all metal before and are now a mix of metal and plastic) and in the packaging. 
The packaging of the Sonorous VI is somewhat disappointing compared to the PH VI packaging.  (Plain cardbox against the octagonal plushed box of the PH VI)
But that's it about the differences that I can discern.

Feb 22, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #1,515 of 2,057
need to add my 2 cents here:

I bought my PH VI in February 2016 - in fact exactly 2 years back.
They came with the very shallow earpads which made the PH VI sound fantastic especially in the mids section together with a strong and clear bass which made it my favorite HP for female voices. 
These pads were so shallow that I couldn't wear them longer than an hour or so before my ears hurt. There was a discussion in this thread very early about how to stuff it so that the grille won't touch your ear.

This makes me believe that the original pads were the shallow ones - I believe that is consistent with jellofund's findings.
Then FAD brought the PH IV to the market and new pads with it. They then started using these pads for the PH VI as well and the Sonorous (after the PH VI had been renamed). 

This again triggered the discussions about the changed sound signature and how the PH VI has "lost its magic" with the new standard pads and of course the discussion about replacement pads and their effect on the sound also reached its height then.

I have kept my original pads and use them sometime - and still the PH VI or Sonorous VI doesn't sound better with any other pad.

To my mind FAD should really get back to this topic and seriously work on a pad that delivers the sound that the original pad could deliver.
To me it makes not much sense to produce a headphone which could really deliver way above its price point (now it is only 599 Euro in Europe - compared to 799 2 years ago) but NOT with the earpads that come with it.
I also believe that it doesn't help to offer more options of pads when the original option doesn't deliver the magic. Why should anybody who listens to these phones for the first time (and is not impressed because they do not sound as good as they could)  buy them in the first place ? And then go on and search for replacement pads ? 
This makes no sense to me.
If I had heard them for the first time as they were delivered to me 3 days ago (I have just received a replacement Sonorous VI for my Pandora Hope VI) I wouldn't have bought them.
So @FINAL AUDIO - that is something to think about, I guess. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back