Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI (interesting dynamic + BA full size headphones)
Feb 26, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #1,516 of 2,057

To my mind FAD should really get back to this topic and seriously work on a pad that delivers the sound that the original pad could deliver.
To me it makes not much sense to produce a headphone which could really deliver way above its price point (now it is only 599 Euro in Europe - compared to 799 2 years ago) but NOT with the earpads that come with it.
I also believe that it doesn't help to offer more options of pads when the original option doesn't deliver the magic. Why should anybody who listens to these phones for the first time (and is not impressed because they do not sound as good as they could)  buy them in the first place ? And then go on and search for replacement pads ? 
This makes no sense to me.
If I had heard them for the first time as they were delivered to me 3 days ago (I have just received a replacement Sonorous VI for my Pandora Hope VI) I wouldn't have bought them.
So @FINAL AUDIO - that is something to think about, I guess. 

I should just really get myself a backup pair shallow b-type. Dat freakin' cost though!

The reason for making the a-type pads stock pads could be that Final silently acknowledged the users complaints about the b-type comfort. Maybe they have been seeing a lot of returns for that reason so the new direction being a more comfortable earpad would get more proper sales figures. Lets face it. It takes someone way less time to understand a headphone is uncomfortable then it is to get to know a headphone's signature. 

Going by the impressions the alternative (a-type pad) also doesn't seem to be working out. Final's solution: offer them everything we got, say three hail marys and god bless 
biggrin.gif

I don't know. Just flipping some thoughts.

Feb 26, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #1,517 of 2,057
The FAD Pandora Hope/Sonorous phones require a long break-in period, as much as 100 hours. They do not sound their best right out of the box. I waited until they were broken in to experiment with earpads. When they are new the sound may be unpleasant and people cannot listen for 100 hours. One could play them off their head until broken in. At that point, I found that the original Pandora VI earpads were so uncomfortable that I had to add cotton balls inside the edge to put them farther from my ears. I also found that USB DACs like the AQ Dragonfly or LH Labs Geek Out V2 improved the sound. Since they are so revealing, poorly recorded material, which is most MP3s, sound a little bright. When you try some high resolution music, which you can find for free on the web, you can easily hear the improvement. So high resolution phones are showing the deficiencies of the current low resolution music we are being sold.

Feb 28, 2016 at 2:39 AM Post #1,521 of 2,057
got a set of these about a month ago. overall they're very lovely. i use these as my work cans and i mostly listen to orchestral music. and i went through the majority of the replies to find the perfect pads for me as well. waaaay back somewhere, someone mentioned type C pads, but no one really seemed to pulled the trigger on those. so... i did! 

(looks like i don't have image upload permissions, so here's an external link http://imgur.com/a/LDRbc)

it's pretty interesting what they did with the type C -- thicker mesh(?), but they poked holes in the inner lining(?). the inner ring is a softer sponge and the outer ring is similar to type A's sponge.

they're very comfortable -- enough padding between your ears and the cups. and while my ears still touch the cups, the thicker mesh makes it very comfortable. i never had problems with type B and A, but type C's are much more comfortable.

and most importantly, i'm happy with the sound too! (warning: i'm pretty new to this hobby, so i can't describe things to well, but i'll try my best) type A sounds like it has a slight more bass, but it loses clarity. cellos and basses get buried / messy in a lot of the recordings. type B loses that slight oomph in the bass, but definitely cleans up the sound a lot. type C's sound is very close to the B's -- still very clean sound, and a little less bass than type A. it does lose a tad bit of the brightness / sounds muffled, but it's hardly noticeable unless you really hear for it.

i've tried the shure's alcantara pads (before i got type B and C so i didn't have the chance to compare with B and C directly), but i felt like they lost a lot of the nuanced details even compared to type A. 

i do think type C's are the winner. but they're super expensive ($70 USD + shipping) and apparently they're very limited in terms of quantity. i took the last one they had in stock >_>

hope this helps you guys!

Feb 28, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #1,522 of 2,057

Thanks daha21.

Type C pads, which is standard pads for Sonorous X and VIII, are still not sold in Japan (and direct shop) yet.
I have seen that pad on Sonorous X and VIII and noticed some difference like thicker mesh, etc., but haven't tried on my Pandora hope VI yet.
Hope it will be sold soon.

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #1,524 of 2,057
Do Type B have cloth under the pad as i heard on pg 44 if correct that its type B only then some of the sonorous vi ship with type B now? Mine have cloth

Both Type A & Type B have cloth under the pad.

Sonorous VI has only ever shipped with the Type A fitted I believe (see the post by Final US on p101). If you buy from Massdrop they sometimes throw in an extra pair of Type B pads so the buyer can try both variants.

Edit: a quick glance at p44 makes me think the pads without cloth mentioned might be a third party Beyer DT770 pad. 

Mar 4, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #1,526 of 2,057
Hi everyone,
So I just got my sonorous vi, and am looking for a portable/mini desktop dac to pair with the cans. Now after some digging, the first one on my list is chord mojo, but I've heard people complaining that mojo will have unlistenable noises when connecting to PCs with regular usb cable. So can anyone in this thread confirm that claim? If it's true than I probably will have to stuck with mojo dx50 combo for a while or simply go with other products. Thanks for reply :)

Mar 4, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #1,527 of 2,057
Hi everyone,
So I just got my sonorous vi, and am looking for a portable/mini desktop dac to pair with the cans. Now after some digging, the first one on my list is chord mojo, but I've heard people complaining that mojo will have unlistenable noises when connecting to PCs with regular usb cable. So can anyone in this thread confirm that claim? If it's true than I probably will have to stuck with mojo dx50 combo for a while or simply go with other products. Thanks for reply
smily_headphones1.gif

Not at all about the noises. I using my MOJO connected to a MacBook and Surface Pro, both cases via USB and I don't have any noises. Only cases when I get some interference, like discharges, is when is close to the cell phone, or connected via lighting port. Is not always, but sometimes yes, you can hear the noises.

Mar 4, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #1,528 of 2,057
  Not at all about the noises. I using my MOJO connected to a MacBook and Surface Pro, both cases via USB and I don't have any noises. Only cases when I get some interference, like discharges, is when is close to the cell phone, or connected via lighting port. Is not always, but sometimes yes, you can hear the noises. ​

Wow! Now i definetly need to start saving money for a mojo :wink:

Mar 5, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #1,530 of 2,057
Yes, mojo is good, of course Hugo is better by serveral levels if you have room on a credit card:wink:

Doesn't seem to be universally agreed that Hugo is better, at least grim my reading (haven't compared them myself).Currawang, in his Mojo review, send to feel they're equal, or very close to it (but voiced differently).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back