Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI (interesting dynamic + BA full size headphones)
Jan 24, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #1,471 of 2,057
Actually I would say those are the problem, it's not about volume. The lack soundstage and the thin sound both are due to the amplification. One is a portable amp and the other is made for low impedance headphones. They just can't drive the 800s properly, or to their potential. I have five or six amps and the one that sounds the best on the Pandora against the one that sounds the best on the 800s put the 800s in a entirely different league. I love the Pandora VI that I have but not up there with the 800s when both are properly fed.

I understand how you feel and of course when you are a acclimated to one headphone it feels right, switching is hard. Add to that the amp shortcomings and I see why you would feel let down by the 800s.

Edit-I haven't been following things, I see the '800s' is a different new headphone introduced at ces. So my comments may be with grain of salt in that my comparisons are with original hd800.[/quot
I noticed that there are guite a few people here on this forum that use the Ifi Audio IDSD for amping the HD 800 . They are in regular satisfied about the sound result . Of course there are better (far more expensive ) amps that do a better
Job. According to my supplier are both amps a decent match for the HD 800 but there are better . The Ifi audio IDSD is suitable for amping Hp up to 600 ohm.and the Audeze is a wonderful amp/dac to drive the Pandora 6.

See also http://headmania.org/2015/02/07/ifi-idsd-micro-review/ the review was conducted with also the sennheiser HD 800 . AT this moment the Pandora 's sounds better for my ears than the sennheiser HD800 S .

Jan 24, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #1,472 of 2,057
See also http://headmania.org/2015/02/07/ifi-idsd-micro-review/ the review was conducted with also the sennheiser HD 800 . AT this moment the Pandora 's sounds better for my ears than the sennheiser HD800 S .

The HD800 has always been considered a hard headphone to drive correctly or to its potential. The claims are always made that it is thin, not so much complaints about the soundstage but all open up as you get an appropriate amp for it. I run a Eddie Current Zana Deux and they preform amazingly. It is geared toward high impedance headphones and is tube. Kind of expensive though.  I also have a Violectric V200 which is cheaper and has a warm character. Both drive the 800s perfectly but you can tell the difference in performance fairly dramatically even between these. 

Portable amps can drive the 800 just not so well thus your issue. I have an older Lisa III amp that drove them very well but it is almost to large to be portable, and still it is not as good as the others. I have a Pico Power amp that is portable that could theoretically drive the 800 but why bother, i have portables that it drives better.

All I can speak is from experience, go to a meet or send them back, just be advised that they are probably doing what they should do just need more "umph".

Oh, for dacs i use a Chord Hugo most often now. I also have an older dac that i really like the sound of that had a couple of thousands of dollars of modifications done. It is a little outdated but i love the sound signature. Dac's are hard to evaluate in my opinion because hard to put them on your system and know how they will work with your gear. I do love the Chord products i have heard though. 

If you have any other questions feel free to pm I think this is all i want to talk about the 800 in a Pandora thread though-off topic for Pandora Hope users. Don't know how much more i can add anyway, good luck in your search.

Jan 24, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #1,473 of 2,057
The HD800 has always been considered a hard headphone to drive correctly or to its potential. The claims are always made that it is thin, not so much complaints about the soundstage but all open up as you get an appropriate amp for it. I run a Eddie Current Zana Deux and they preform amazingly. It is geared toward high impedance headphones and is tube. Kind of expensive though.  I also have a Violectric V200 which is cheaper and has a warm character. Both drive the 800s perfectly but you can tell the difference in performance fairly dramatically even between these. 

Portable amps can drive the 800 just not so well thus your issue. I have an older Lisa III amp that drove them very well but it is almost to large to be portable, and still it is not as good as the others. I have a Pico Power amp that is portable that could theoretically drive the 800 but why bother, i have portables that it drives better.

All I can speak is from experience, go to a meet or send them back, just be advised that they are probably doing what they should do just need more "umph".

Oh, for dacs i use a Chord Hugo most often now. I also have an older dac that i really like the sound of that had a couple of thousands of dollars of modifications done. It is a little outdated but i love the sound signature. Dac's are hard to evaluate in my opinion because hard to put them on your system and know how they will work with your gear. I do love the Chord products i have heard though. 

If you have any other questions feel free to pm I think this is all i want to talk about the 800 in a Pandora thread though-off topic for Pandora Hope users. Don't know how much more i can add anyway, good luck in your search.

Thanks.

Jan 24, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #1,474 of 2,057
Should have said other amps that drive them better, since we are talking about no potable headphones why drive with a portable. I do love the Pandora, my only critisism is that my ears touch the driver barrier when using the better ear pads and they get sore with extended use.

Jan 24, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #1,475 of 2,057
dallan said:
 I do love the Pandora, my only critisism is that my ears touch the driver barrier when using the better ear pads and they get sore with extended use.

There have been a few discussions of alternative more comfortable pads earlier in this thread. Shure 1540 pads are my personal favourite with the Pandoras.

Jan 24, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #1,476 of 2,057
Got the Shure 1540 Alcantra pads and WOW, what a difference!!! Comfort level and head seal improved drastically, while the sometimes sibilant treble issues have mostly disappeared. Bass might have suffered slightly, but a small trade off. Despite really liking these cans, I was almost on the fence about getting rid of them. Not now though, these are keepers.

Jan 28, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #1,478 of 2,057
Hi i just ordered the fadIv i also have the 1540 so the pads swap fairly easily?& Hope they aren't to harsh :/

They swapped on easier than the A to B pads.

Jan 29, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #1,479 of 2,057
Today I FINALY got the chance to audition this pair during an hour.

And... These are the most comfortable pair I've ever tested, just amazing.

To be honest, I am not impressed by the sound.

The bass area is fine, eventhough it lacks slam.

The mids are the main disappointment: they lack consistency, and are not natural at all.

The highs are indeed boosted, and not in a refined way.

The brightness is excessive to my ears.

May be some burn-in time can help, but I expected something else.

Jan 29, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #1,480 of 2,057
There have been a few discussions of alternative more comfortable pads earlier in this thread. Shure 1540 pads are my personal favourite with the Pandoras.

Thanks maybe I'll try the 1540 pads I just don't really want to change the sound sig that they were going for. Gotta admit though that on my lab1,fibass and heaven VIII I have comply tips that definitely change the intended sound so I will look.

Edit- those are the Alcantara pads?

Feb 1, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #1,483 of 2,057
Well i got the new pads. Yes they are more comfortable for extended listening but not sure what i think. The sound quality is less bright but loses detail and has more muted of a sound. In addition the cups then tend to slide down the posts much worse and almost end up hanging of your head the way AT woodie headphones do. Looks worse but that is a much less concern. Think i will go back and forth for a while but I don't know if it was worth the $40. Hmmm. Maybe I am just used to that detailed bright sound with these, could be more balanced, i'll give it some time.

Feb 3, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #1,485 of 2,057
I do love the Pandora, my only critisism is that my ears touch the driver barrier when using the better ear pads and they get sore with extended use.

This is most users complaint including mine. It gets better over time but somewhere it just stops to become more comfortable right? :wink:

Got the Shure 1540 Alcantra pads and WOW, what a difference!!! Comfort level and head seal improved drastically, while the sometimes sibilant treble issues have mostly disappeared. Bass might have suffered slightly, but a small trade off.

The change in sound signature is very small, if any.

Well i got the new pads. Yes they are more comfortable for extended listening but not sure what i think. The sound quality is less bright but loses detail and has more muted of a sound.

Completely agreed with all bolded parts. For once I can say it is pretty much night and day differences in the areas of comfort and seal. The trade off however, like with any changes is a highly personal thing. I just want shed light from a different angle by saying I heard a clear difference between stock and Alcantara NOT in favour of the Alcantaras. Much like what @dallan described plus without a doubt increased bass quantity but decreased quality (a little boomy). YMMV

It's good to be aware of what are small differences to some ears are rather large differences to others.

Today I FINALY got the chance to audition this pair during an hour.

And... These are the most comfortable pair I've ever tested, just amazing.

To be honest, I am not impressed by the sound.

The bass area is fine, eventhough it lacks slam.

The mids are the main disappointment: they lack consistency, and are not natural at all.

The highs are indeed boosted, and not in a refined way.

The brightness is excessive to my ears.

May be some burn-in time can help, but I expected something else.

Surprising impressions. Especially the lack of consistency and unnaturalness of the mids. Curious what made you come to that conclusion.

Preferences aside, to make any headphone shine mix and match with the rest of your gear applies. It didn't take me long to appreciate the Pandora for what it is even from gear that I now consider not a good match. The Yulong D200 DAC/amp followed by Matrix X-Sabre/Gustard H10 or Lehmann BCL are left behind by my current setup Gungnir/Gustard H10 on a level I didn't see coming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back