Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI (interesting dynamic + BA full size headphones)
Jul 25, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #1,142 of 2,057
I like the Heaven V as well, fine sounding iem.

Jul 27, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #1,143 of 2,057
Just wanted to +1 the recommendation for the Shure HPAEC1540 pads. I've cycled many pads on the VI hoping for something close the to the amazing sound of the original pads but with comfort. These are perfect and I am so glad I spent the money to get them. These are honestly end game for me as I have no plans (or need) to spend $1,000's on something when these sound absolutely amazing. Anyone on the fence get the VI now with the Shure pads, stop waiting! 

Jul 27, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #1,145 of 2,057
  Are the 1540 pads better in sound than the original thin pads that came on the first batch of Pandora vi's and if so what is better in terms of sound on the 1540 pads????​

They aren't any better sounding - it is all about the comfort.  The 1540 pads don't seem to change the sound of the VI's from the thin FAD pads (or not so I can tell) but allow you to wear them in comfort for hours at a time.

Jul 28, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #1,147 of 2,057
The 1540 pads on the IV's sound incredible and dramatically change the sound from the stock pads. I really want to know how similar they sound to the IV's with the 1540 pads.

Also, has anyone tried a tube amp, specifically the Schiit Vali with these? I saw one guy that said it sounded great earlier in the thread but I would like more information.  The low impedance worries me. A while back someone said because they have a BA driver it might change the rules of how tubes and low impedance work. I know basically nothing on how that work, so can anyone comment on that?

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #1,150 of 2,057
Has anyone did a comparison with these and something like the audeze el8c in sound quality. So far this has been my favorite closed back in sound quality at any price point  besides the th900s.

I tried it the same day I heard the EL8 open version (last I checked thought to be better than the closed), easily preferred the VI.

Jul 29, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #1,152 of 2,057

Also, has anyone tried a tube amp, specifically the Schiit Vali with these? I saw one guy that said it sounded great earlier in the thread but I would like more information.  The low impedance worries me. A while back someone said because they have a BA driver it might change the rules of how tubes and low impedance work. I know basically nothing on how that work, so can anyone comment on that?

The rule applies to BA drivers too assuming we're talking about the 1/8 rule? In that the output impedance on an amp should be < 1/8 of the headphone impedance.

The designer of the O2 amp wrote an interesting piece in his blog about the 1/8 rule and the potential consequences of breaking it. Interestingly he mentions that changes to the frequency response of some 'phones, especially BA and multi driver, can sometimes be quite extreme.

That's not to say that breaking it is necessarily a bad thing as such, it just adds a degree of uncertainty. With some pairings you might not see much of a change at all whereas with others you will.. and in some cases you may quite like those changes! Add in the fact the Pandora uses a BA & dynamic driver and it probably only confuses matter further...

I have no experience with the Vali but do use my Pandora with a Project Ember. Like the Vali the Ember is a hybrid amp (mix of solid state & tube) but unlike the Vali it has the option to change the output resistance; 0.1 Ohm (low), 35 (mid) & 120 Ohm (high) all being selectable. The 0.1 Ohm setting is excellent with the Pandora but due to the Pandora's sensitivity there is some audible tube hiss on that setting and there isn't quite enough play on the volume pot. To get round this I use an iFi Audio -24db attenuator adapter which reduces the volume and removes the tube noise, without mucking the sound signature up.

Switching to the mid or high setting changes how they sound hugely, although admittedly that might be expected as 35 and 120 Ohms are quite extreme I guess. As I go from low-mid-high the volume levels reduce noticeably at each step  which is not necessarily a bad thing for the Pandora, but doing so also seriously messes up how they sound. To my ears they sound thicker, very muddy, bass bloated and lacking in dynamics on both mid & high.

Of course the Vali's output impedance is far lower than either of those settings (6.5 Ohm I think?) so any changes are likely to be far less drastic, but I think you are right to get some hands on impressions first. Aside from how the sound might change I'd also be slightly concerned about how much tube noise might be evident and just how much play I would have on the volume pot - the Vali is quite a powerful wee amp!

Hope this helps rather than confuses thing more :)

Aug 1, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #1,153 of 2,057
The m50x velor pads Are available at Massdrop again....pick your colors b4 they r gone. :xf_eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back