Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI (interesting dynamic + BA full size headphones)
Aug 6, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #1,171 of 2,057
  Just saw that there are replacement earpads for the Hope VI that are supposed to help with the low end. Anyone tried the replacement pads that Final Audio sells for the Hope VI? Do they really improve the sound, specifically the low end? If so, I'm more than happy to pay the $50+ for them. 

The 'replacement' pads were actually the pads that originally came with the Pandora for the first 18 months or so, so anybody who bought early will have them.

I'm probably starting to sound like a broken record when I say this but to my ears the  'replacement' pads are significantly better. Type B (aka low repulsion / low resilience) I think they call 'em now.

I'm not sure about improving the low end per se but I do think they considerably tame the highs which I found very fatiguing and rough on the current stock pads, so perhaps this results in the bass shining through a bit more and some people perceive that as an improved low end? I personally think the highs and mids are were the biggest improvement is to be found. The Pandora sounds far better balanced, smoother and more musical. Comfort suffers a bit (a lot for some) as they are much softer and shallower resulting in the ear coming into contact with the driver grille far more.

Should be impressions from other members in this thread too if you do a search using words like 'pads', 'repulsion', 'resilience' and see what that brings up. Most reviews you come across will have likely been written with these pads fitted so that may give you an idea of the sound sig vs what you currently have.

Where the heck can I buy the Pandora Hope VI B earpads? I live i the US and none of the authorized US dealers from Final Audio's homepage appear to carry them. And Final Audio's US webpage only offers two products currently. 

Their site is very barebones right now but not sure how long Final US has been in existence. Think they are quite new so it may fill up with time.

I'm from the UK so could only really point you to places here & in Europe that stock them but I suspect that they'd work out more expensive than buying from within the US.

Might be worth PMing the Final US rep on head-fi and see if they can assist? http://www.head-fi.org/u/424374/final-us

I wonder howthe soundstage and bass compares to the open AKG K712 or K7XX. 
From what I have these may become my Movie and Work headphones if i decide to get these.

No experience of the K712 but do have a K7XX here.

Soundstage is about the same to my ears. The VI sounds quite open for a closed back 'phone whereas I find the K7XX's soundstage quite unremarkable for an opened back design.

To my ears both have some elevation in the bass but with the VI it seems to be more towards mid bass region whereas with the K7XX it is lower down which can at time leave the K7XX mids feeling a bit uninvolving. In terms of detail, layering, punch and possibly low end extension for me the VI is better. It's not a bass heavy headphone but is excellent with bass heavy music and very well suited to movie watching as it adds a nice amount of weight to soundtracks, explosions etc. yet retains excellent clarity to hear dialogue and other incidental audio that lesser 'phones might obscure.

Aug 6, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #1,172 of 2,057
The Hope VI is leagues above the K7XX IMO. Much clearer, much better bass, much better soundstage, etc. etc. It isn't a fair comparison, really. 

Maybe it's just my ears, but I was hugely disappointed with the K7XX. They sound like $100 headphones to me. 

Aug 6, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #1,173 of 2,057

The 'replacement' pads were actually the pads that originally came with the Pandora for the first 18 months or so, so anybody who bought early will have them.

I'm probably starting to sound like a broken record when I say this but to my ears the  'replacement' pads are significantly better. Type B (aka low repulsion / low resilience) I think they call 'em now.

Really? I bought my Pandora Hope VIs about a year and 2 months ago. Does that mean I already have the Type B pads? Anyone know how I can tell?

Aug 6, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #1,174 of 2,057
There is actually a very easy way to tell if you have the Type A or B pad.  The type A pad is made with a standard sponge and is approximately 1” tall.  The type B pad is not as tall as it is made with a low-compression sponge and is approximately ¾” tall.  Please note that the all of our Pandora IV & VI headphones have the type A ear pads as the standard pad.

Aug 6, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #1,175 of 2,057

Haven't heard the Sig Pros but for what it's worth, Hope VI also makes all three Denon D2000/5000/7000 and TH600 sound muffled. Clarity is one of its very attractive strong points.

Man, my apologies, but that's just really hard for me to believe, lol. Still think I'm going to eke out the last bit of performance from my Sig Pros first. I wish that Massdrop weren't so tempting...

EDIT: Didn't want to double post, but would you guys consider these more aggressive or laid back? I always appreciate warmth and impact.

Aug 6, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #1,176 of 2,057
  There is actually a very easy way to tell if you have the Type A or B pad.  The type A pad is made with a standard sponge and is approximately 1” tall.  The type B pad is not as tall as it is made with a low-compression sponge and is approximately ¾” tall.  Please note that the all of our Pandora IV & VI headphones have the type A ear pads as the standard pad.

Something so simple yet so confusing. The pads on mine are 1cm thick (=tall?) That's not close to 3/4 inch let alone 1 inch. Excuse me if I missed it but is it possible to link to or upload two pictures of either type? Hopefully that would settle it once and for all.

Aug 6, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #1,177 of 2,057

Haven't heard the Sig Pros but for what it's worth, Hope VI also makes all three Denon D2000/5000/7000 and TH600 sound muffled. Clarity is one of its very attractive strong points.

Man, my apologies, but that's just really hard for me to believe, lol. Still think I'm going to eke out the last bit of performance from my Sig Pros first. I wish that Massdrop weren't so tempting...

EDIT: Didn't want to double post, but would you guys consider these more aggressive or laid back? I always appreciate warmth and impact.

Then don't believe it. I auditioned these Tuesday.
For me they were no match for the Dxxxx or TH-xxx series at all. IMO they even have a hard time when compared to the new D7100.
These were on my wish list but I'm glad I had a chance audition them first, saved me money. Everyone their own opinion of course.

Aug 6, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #1,178 of 2,057

For me they were no match for the Dxxxx or TH-xxx series at all. IMO they even have a hard time when compared to the new D7100.
These were on my wish list but I'm glad I had a chance audition them first, saved me money. Everyone their own opinion of course.

Thanks, appreciate the feedback! I'll probably put these on the backburner for the time being and give my wallet a break. X)

Aug 6, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #1,179 of 2,057
  The Hope VI is leagues above the K7XX IMO. Much clearer, much better bass, much better soundstage, etc. etc. It isn't a fair comparison, really. 

Maybe it's just my ears, but I was hugely disappointed with the K7XX. They sound like $100 headphones to me. 

I don't know. I really like the K7XX paired with either the Project Ember or Schiit Lyr but with my iFi iCAN not so much (although it's great with the Pandora). With the iCAN it just feels less dynamic, thinner and bit 'fuzzy' sounding.

Have heard it described as being quite amp picky though.

Really? I bought my Pandora Hope VIs about a year and 2 months ago. Does that mean I already have the Type B pads? Anyone know how I can tell?​

As Final US mention pad depth is the easiest way.

The flatter pad was a limited time deal and once stock ran out new VI's shipped with the standard (type A) pad. Which is the same pad that comes with the Hope IV / Sonorous IV.

The first report I'd heard of someone getting the Type A pads with their VI was only a few months back so I suspect you have the original flatter pads. Could be wrong though but if not I recall a member doing a comparison of various 3rd party pads a few pages back and perhaps that might give you another pad option that fits your needs.

Aug 6, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #1,180 of 2,057
Thanks, appreciate the feedback! I'll probably put these on the backburner for the time being and give my wallet a break. X)

My pleasure, but don't totally discard them just because of my opinion. If you have a chance to try some cans you're interested in it's always a good idea to do so.
Where I live there isn't much to try so for me it has been often buying and selling.
I found some places in the past where I could try some stuff but often it was a day driving back and forth.
This week I have been to dedicated headphone shop in the UK and tried about 20 phones. It took me a day to get there, a day to audition and a day to get back though but it was more than worth it.
I bought a pair of LCD-XC there. Totally different from the cans I have now but on the same level when it comes to SQ.

Aug 6, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #1,181 of 2,057
I certainly wouldn't discard a headphone because of one opinion, especially when it's clear that opinion is an outlier.

Aug 6, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #1,182 of 2,057
Originally Posted by AppleheadMay /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow. The complete opposite of my opinion
eek.gif
 And we both seem to be pretty firm on it. If anything it's just interesting and reaffirms with how much salt our opinions should be seasoned. Beware kids :p

Aug 7, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #1,183 of 2,057

Wow. The complete opposite of my opinion
eek.gif
 And we both seem to be pretty firm on it. If anything it's just interesting and reaffirms with how much salt our opinions should be seasoned. Beware kids :p

Yep, opinions ... or I prefer to call them tastes. Those are what form our opinions.
My taste goes in the direction of the old Denons, Foster, new Audeze, Senn 5xx and 6xx and just about anything from Audio Technica.
I have heard the major phones from just about any other brand but the sound signatures were either in a different direction than those of the cans I like or in the same but with less SQ.

I'll still give the new Sonorous a shot if I see them at CanJam though, you never know. As I will give the SR009 another shot with the Blue Hawaii if I get the chance at CanJam, I only heard it poorly amped. And I haven't heard the HE1000 yet and probably will never hear an R10 ... 

So I'm nearly set with phones, until something new comes along from Foster, Audeze or AT. *sigh* Will it never end?  :wink:

Aug 7, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #1,184 of 2,057
Yeah, and I should clarify that I'm still interested in hearing these if I get the chance. Funds are limited, though, lol, and I'm not going to be chasing anything that I don't need to right now. I did hear from a couple personal friends with similar taste to mine who had heard these before (one of them for several months), and neither of them said they would choose this over my Signature Pros. So! Like I said, backburner! I want to see how far I can take these Ultrasones first, especially since I already own them. :)

Aug 7, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #1,185 of 2,057
sigpro owners are a very loyal crowd, I know because I'm an owner and have enjoyed mine for over a year. Hope you get a chance to compare them. I will listen again but last time pandora seemed way more resolving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back