Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI (interesting dynamic + BA full size headphones)
Jun 1, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #541 of 2,057
It's actually funny. I would have called myself a basshead before these. Now when I listen to my Atrios MG7 (which I still rank as the best bass headphones) I find myself being a little turned off by the low end of it. I still need my big, beefy bass to enjoy the music, but if it comes at the expense of the rest I just don't enjoy it any more. 

Not that I'm in any danger of drifting over toward the treble cannons, mind you. Just that there was a time when the more the bass pounded my head, the happier I was. Now, unless I'm specifically listening to bassy rap, I just don't like it. 

Jun 1, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #545 of 2,057
Wow, these headphones offer clarity! Coming from the TH-600 the differences are not even subtle. Not sure if I can handle all that (mids) truth of the Pandora to be honest but it's way better balanced throughout the spectrum. On the downside, pretty darn far from comfortable. It's only minutes before the top and back of my ears alert me. They really need to take it back to the lab to make it lighter, a stiffer sliding mechanism and the majorly flawed driver grills.. what!? Did they run out of beta testers or what?
normal_smile .gif

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #547 of 2,057
  Wow, these headphones offer clarity! Coming from the TH-600 the differences are not even subtle. Only now it's U-shaped nature becomes apparent to me. Not sure if I can handle all that (mids) truth of the Pandora to be honest but it's way better balanced throughout the spectrum. On the downside, pretty darn far from comfortable. It's only minutes before the top and back of my ears alert me. They really need to take it back to the lab to make it lighter, a stiffer sliding mechanism and the majorly flawed driver grills.. what!? Did they run out of beta testers or what?
normal_smile .gif

I agree with the impressions. The sad part is that even after emails they insist that they made an extremely comfortable headphone. They need to know that two things are unanimous for every single person that has had them:

great sound
bad comfort

I have yet to find a headphone that so many people are in agreement on.

Jun 1, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #548 of 2,057
I agree with the impressions. The sad part is that even after emails they insist that they made an extremely comfortable headphone. They need to know that two things are unanimous for every single person that has had them:

great sound
bad comfort

Well, I am the one decenter regarding comfort. I find them quite comfortable if you change the pads. So, okay, I do agree they can be made better with thicker pads. And the need to fix the slider, but I fixed that with cn11's rubber band trick. Those two things weren't enough, however, to consider sending them back. I love this headphone.

Jun 1, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #549 of 2,057

great sound
bad comfort

Well, I am the one decenter regarding comfort. I find them quite comfortable if you change the pads. So, okay, I do agree they can be made better with thicker pads. And the need to fix the slider, but I fixed that with cn11's rubber band trick. Those two things weren't enough, however, to consider sending them back. I love this headphone.

you just agreed with me lol. They are exceptional and worth keeping despite those and the clarity what that price should get you. Unfortunately it doesnt always end up that way.

Jun 3, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #550 of 2,057
Pad update:

After emailing FAD and showing them the various pad complaints here. They responded by saying that they are indeed aware of the issue and that the pad choice was for sonic reasons. They also were extremely kind and told me they infact do have other pads that will soon be available for sale.

When I get the pair in I will take pictures and report back.

Jun 3, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #551 of 2,057
^ Interesting.

I too emailed them asking for alternatives and was answered with that Pandora 4 pads are an option: ''They're a bit thicker, less soft and so would be a little more comfortable.'' Gee, I don't know. Hadn't I ordered 770 pads already I might have given it more thought.

Jun 3, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #553 of 2,057
Pad update:

After emailing FAD and showing them the various pad complaints here. They responded by saying that they are indeed aware of the issue and that the pad choice was for sonic reasons. 

Like I guessed. :p I'm particularly picky about sonic changes myself with pad swaps. The sound signature of the default Q40 pads is the reason I keep using them even if they are very shallow. Sound quality > comfort for the true audiophile nerd. No pain, no gain. :p

In the FAD case they probably could make the pads like 2-3 mm thicker and slightly bit stiffer with very minimal sonical change. Already around 5 mm I'd expect the sound would start changing too much for my liking though.

Jun 3, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #554 of 2,057
It's surprising for myself really what I'm about to say but switching between the TH600 and the Pandora makes the Fostex sound bloody uneven with some of the music I have been listening to. Shhh, don't tell on me but yeah.. sounds muddy, heavily tilted down and up frequency.
Another thing that nobody seems to have reported is hearing quite a bit of hiss when no music is playing no matter what input or volume I choose. Other headphones are dead quiet. Why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back