Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI (interesting dynamic + BA full size headphones)
Jun 14, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #1,096 of 2,057

I also suspect there are only 2 pad variants but it will be great to get a definitive answer from the Final Engineers.

My Pandora Hope 6 came with the thicker PH4 Pads and I ordered a pair of low repulsion (original PH6) pads to improve sound quality. The packing of these pads is labeled FI-EPPA6. So apparently I already got the improved version of low repulsion pads without knowing they had been changed. I guess the FI-EPPA6 have simply replaced the FI-EPPA4.

Now the interesting question is what they changed about the low repulsion pads. I like my new pads, but I don't know what the originals sound like. All I can say is that they are much softer and shallower than the PH4 pads and the sound is more refined. I also find them more comfortable than the PH4 pads, but I expect people with larger ears to disagree. I just prefer the even distribution of pressure over deeper pads that clamp my head.

This description matches what other people said about the original low repulsion PH6 pads, so I really wonder what they changed. Maybe Final US can provide more information about the improvements.

Jun 14, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #1,097 of 2,057
  We do have a Deluxe Ear Pad available for the Pandora (soon to be Sonorous) series.  

The item number is FI-EPPA6.  It is somewhat hard to find if you need help in your area please let us know.

Also looking forward to the summary...

hi, how can I order one pair in Austria, also how much will they cost?
thanks for everything, love my PH6

Jun 14, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #1,098 of 2,057
  FI-EPPA6, is the old pad of the pandora VI am i right?
To my ears this one was painful after 30mn... i tryed the earpads for pandora IV but the glue was not strong enough and now the pads open up...the confort was perfect for my ears but less for my head. The sounds was very good but different than the pad for pandora VI. (maybe less magic)
So for now i'm bought some other custom pads and waiting them to arrive... :frowning2:

Well will you have a new type of earpads soon?

@Final US
it seems that this delamination is common issue. is this resolved already? there's no point getting new ones if they just split after barely few months of use.

Jun 15, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #1,099 of 2,057

My Pandora Hope 6 came with the thicker PH4 Pads and I ordered a pair of low repulsion (original PH6) pads to improve sound quality. The packing of these pads is labeled FI-EPPA6. So apparently I already got the improved version of low repulsion pads without knowing they had been changed. I guess the FI-EPPA6 have simply replaced the FI-EPPA4.

Now the interesting question is what they changed about the low repulsion pads. I like my new pads, but I don't know what the originals sound like. All I can say is that they are much softer and shallower than the PH4 pads and the sound is more refined. I also find them more comfortable than the PH4 pads, but I expect people with larger ears to disagree. I just prefer the even distribution of pressure over deeper pads that clamp my head.

This description matches what other people said about the original low repulsion PH6 pads, so I really wonder what they changed. Maybe Final US can provide more information about the improvements.

Yes it will be interesting to see what the Final Engineers have to say.

I noticed that both the FI-EPPA6 and FI-EPPA4 are now available to order from Amazon UK and having read the product descriptions I am increasingly of the opinion that Final have simply update their product codes and that these pads are exactly the same as the ones I have here. So only two variations and no new revisions.

From the Amazon description for the FI-EPPA6 (low resilience pads):

Same earpads as equipped with Pandora Hope VI
Product code: FI-EPPADX

and for FI-EPPA4 (standard pads):
 Same earpads as equipped with Pandora Hope IV
Product code: FI-EPPAST

Therefore:
  1. FI-EPPA4 = FI-EPPAST = Pandora Hope IV stock pads (from day 1 to present) and current pad supplied with Hope VI
  2. FI-EPPA6 =  FI-EPPADX = old original Hope VI ('limited time') low resilience pads. Now available as an 'after market' option 

The '4' & '6' in the above product codes would seem to be more logical this way.

That's my theory anyway but will be good to have a definitive answer!

Jun 15, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #1,100 of 2,057
  hi, how can I order one pair in Austria, also how much will they cost?
thanks for everything, love my PH6

A few places in the EU I've seen them for sale:

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/final-audio-design-low-resilience-earpads-pandora-hope-series.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Final-Audio-Design-Pandora-Low-Resilience/dp/B00VBUYUPE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1434358243&sr=8-2&keywords=pandora+hope+vi+pads

http://finalaudio.nl/en/accessories/ear-pads/pandora-vi.html

Around 50 Euros plus shipping? I'd imagine if Amazon UK ship to Austria then they'll probably offer the best shipping rates.

NB. Amazon is the only place that uses the product code FI-EPPA6 so worth waiting for a confirmation from Final that  FI-EPPADX is identical. Pretty sure they are one and the same though.

Jun 18, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #1,103 of 2,057
A quick update on my comparison of pads:

• Original FAD Pandora VI pads - Sound is excellent and well balanced across all frequencies.  Comfort is poor as I can't bear having the pads press onto my ears.
  • FAD Pandora IV pads - Still in the post and untested yet.
  • Beyer DT990 Velour pads - Disastrous to the sound and completely unlistenable as all bass just disappears.  Comfort is irrelevant in this instance!
  • Beyer DT770 Pleather pads - Sound is excellent and identical to the original pads as far as I can tell.  Comfort is a little better, but not perfect as they are only a little deeper than the original pads.
  • Shure 1540 alcantara pads - Sound is very good, possibly with a very slight reduction in the bass but still very listenable.  Comfort is excellent and the best of any that I have tried with nice thick pads that you can wear for hours at a time.
  • Brainwavz HM5 Pleather pads - Sound is superb, with a slight increase in the bass, but certainly not overpowering.  Comfort is initially very good, providing the best distance between ear and drivers of any pad tested, however they get hot after 15 mins or so of listening so not ideal.  These are also the hardest to attach to the cups.

I will update once I finally get to hear the FAD Pandora IV pads, but it is an easy recommendation for the Sure 1540 pads right now.  They are expensive but well worth it and I have stopped looking for alternatives at this point.

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #1,104 of 2,057
so how do they sound balanced ???? Trying to decide between zx2 or 901s and the balanced verdict will be the deciding factor on player choice. As of right now I am stuck with a note 4 or S:flo2 and thanks for all recommendations.

Instead of the ZX2, I went with a PHA-3/A17 combo. A little less expensive, has true balanced mode and with most IEMs you can leave the amp at home. I also have a 901 that I use with the balanced amp card. It is a really great DAP and is also very good with IEMs (but not balanced) with the IEM amp card. Another big advantage of the 901/901S is the use of full-size SD cards. I use a 256GB card in mine.

Jun 19, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #1,105 of 2,057
i am getting v good sound out of the M50xvelor from Massdrop. 
No strident treble, good clarity...good sense of depth...bass is excitingly dynamic..
v comfy...didnt get hot on the ears. 
Not toooo expensive...20?
i waited almost ONE MONTH for it to arrive..zzzzzzzzzz

Jun 19, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #1,106 of 2,057
@0rangutan

Thanks for sharing your findings. Think I may give the Shure SRH 1540 pads a try. Don't want to lose bass but my new amp has the option to apply a small bass boost (1 or 2db I think) without messing with EQ.

After spending more time comparing the HM5 pads with my stock (original) PH VI pads I came to the conclusion that the latter is just a smidge better soundwise. Not a lot but enough to go back to them. I don't find them too uncomfortable so a small compromise to make.

Hope you get on better with the IV pads better than I did. Comfort is definitely an improvement vs the original pads but SQ wise I didn't care for them much. Upper mids & highs just way too over emphasised for me and vocals seemed 'off'.

Jun 25, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #1,107 of 2,057
Hi everyone,

Thought I'd chip in with a huge "Thank you" to all the people who have contributed to this thread. After reading through most of it I took the plunge yesterday and ordered one of these puppies. I missed out on two used @ £300 on eBay Germany but managed to get an offer of £450 accepted on eBay UK for a new set so I'm happy. I'll be using them on a GS Solo ULDE from my SA7003 at home and through an HP-P1/HP-V1 from my iPod when I'm out. Will post my impressions soon.

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #1,109 of 2,057
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ath-m50x-velour-earpads?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Community%20-%20Audiophile%20-%20MAU%20%28Active%29&utm_campaign=Audiophile%20A%20Product%20Announcement%202015-06-25&mode=guest_open&referer=EZ9F49

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #1,110 of 2,057
Can anyone happily using an extension lead with the PH6's please let me have details. I don't think the stock 1.5m will be long enough. Thanks

I haven't tried one but would imagine it would be okay so long as you buy a reasonable quality extension lead.  

Final also make a 3 metre cable for the Pandora so that's another option but might be more than you are looking to spend. Think I paid approx. 55 Euros + shipping for mine.

Quality & build is identical to the stock cable except that the gold tabs used to lock the cable jacks into the earcups have been replaced with black plastic. They seem to work just fine though.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ath-m50x-velour-earpads?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Community%20-%20Audiophile%20-%20MAU%20%28Active%29&utm_campaign=Audiophile%20A%20Product%20Announcement%202015-06-25&mode=guest_open&referer=EZ9F49

Hey Lor!

I might take a punt on these. Do they work well with the Yammies too?

Cheers :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back