Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI (interesting dynamic + BA full size headphones)
May 27, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #1,066 of 2,057
Just received my hope v1 today still breaking them in. love them so far, reviews here are spot on . I am Looking for a portable player that will do justice to these cans as well as my JH 16s any recommendations between I basso DX90, HM901 or AK100 or 120.

May 27, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #1,067 of 2,057
  To clarify, the headphone out on the Maverick Tubemagic D1 does not pass through the tube signal path, it's solid state. I simply bought an O2 headphone amplifier as the headphone stage so that I could use the tube out, because I like tube characteristics. It uses two TI OPA627 OpAmps. On the back it has a tube pre-out, and solid-state line out, along with an analog in, USB in, digital coaxial in, and optical in. You can easily upgrade the opamp (or tube) with whatever you desire down the road if you want to try something different. 

I'm in the camp that thinks that for the price, it's incredibly hard to beat. If your budget is $700-800 then @ $254 you would have enough for a separate power amplifier for passive bookshelf speakers (if you went that route). You could do what I did for a long time which is use the tube out for your speakers for a little change of pace, or just use the headphone out and then the standard analog out for your speakers. Speaking of price - did you email JDS Labs to see if you can persuade them to ship to you? Just a thought.

NAD products are top-notch so if you want to go that route, I wouldn't blame you. Between $750-800 puts you right in the range for a pre-owned Benchmark DAC-1, which if you're a solid-state guy might be right up your alley.

Some other thoughts:
  1. The 1050 has the added benefit of balanced XLR outs, and 24/192 (the D1 also has this, but not balanced outs). So if down the road you get active (powered) bookshelf / studio monitors that have balanced inputs, you can take advantage of that
  2. I wouldn't go with the 3020 because I think it's doing more in one unit than you need it to, and it's "only" 24/96. The power amp would be nice if you already had some efficient passive bookshelves that you love, but you don't, and down the road you might get active monitors which would eliminate the need for a power amplifier
  3. The 7050 is an awesome unit if 1) you use a mac / iphone and 2) you want / need AirPlay to stream to it from a different place in your house. That said, if you don't need streaming functionality now, but might in the future, you could always add something like a Meridian Source 200 or whatever equivalent product you choose
  4. I feel the same way about the TEAC as I do about the 3020 - if you already have passive monitors that you love, great, otherwise you may be wasting money on a power amplifier that you don't need in a unit that you only need to be a DAC / preamplifier
  5. The Cambridge is a great unit, I've heard nothing but wonderful things about it

So, if my opinion matters, I have narrowed your choices down to four! The Mav, the NAD 1050, the Cambridge, and a pre-owned Benchmark DAC1. There are so many other choices out there, but this is my two cents.

Thanks for the elaboration, I think now it's down to NAD D1050 vs Cambridge with consideration of the ease of getting and the pricing. I haven't tried the Cambridge though, I primarily listen to electronic and occasionally rock. Any opinions about this ?

May 28, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #1,068 of 2,057

Thanks for the elaboration, I think now it's down to NAD D1050 vs Cambridge with consideration of the ease of getting and the pricing. I haven't tried the Cambridge though, I primarily listen to electronic and occasionally rock. Any opinions about this ?

I was disappointed by Cambrige cd players...
I have tried all Cambrige cdplayers with Stax sr-007 mk2.

May 28, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #1,069 of 2,057
How about for a cell phone? 
rolleyes.gif

May 28, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #1,070 of 2,057
at the moment...when i am out...i am just using a sansa clip..and optional a fiioE18 
also waiting patiently for an inexpensive  killerdap to appear on the mkt..

If hisoundaudio had its act together in the UI of the StudioV or its smaller daps, 
that would have been very very sweet. sigh...

May 28, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #1,071 of 2,057
You can Keep your eyes open and look at the soon to be had Questyle QPR1.
I heard the Prototype in Munich and was very impressed. No balanced out put though which may be reason not to buy it if You plan to go that way.
The new Hifiman 901S also was very impressive soundwise (I still don't  like the Looks very much though)

May 28, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #1,072 of 2,057
The Studio V Anniversary was one of my audio gear nightmares!

May 28, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #1,073 of 2,057

LOL...i loved the 40hours battery life....endlesssssss power.
kept it in my bag, to test headfones in town...super powerful..
dap is good for just hitting PLAY...STOP.
just dun mess with the other option buttons. :p

May 28, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #1,074 of 2,057

LOL...i loved the 40hours battery life....endlesssssss power.
kept it in my bag, to test headfones in town...super powerful..
dap is good for just hitting PLAY...STOP.
just dun mess with the other option buttons. :p

Never worked for any length of time, sent it back to China multiple times at my expense, long wait times, eventually gave up on it.Obviously, your experience was better...

May 29, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #1,075 of 2,057
told u not to mess with the other buttons ! :p

hey i am using the M50X velor pads on the Pandora VI... 19bucks at MASSDROP now.
the sound is GOOD...cant give u more adjectives...just hit the BUY BUTTON.

May 29, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #1,076 of 2,057
I bought the NAD 1050, I must say that my ears felt like eating some wonderful pudding and marshmallows woahhh... I guess next up is getting a dedicated amp, damn this slippery slope.

May 29, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #1,077 of 2,057
  I bought the NAD 1050, I must say that my ears felt like eating some wonderful pudding and marshmallows woahhh... I guess next up is getting a dedicated amp, damn this slippery slope.

hey, thats 500bucks !  How big is it ..cant tell from the pic in amazon....
u must be in some sort of heaven now.
When u are sober, give us some feedback.

May 31, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #1,078 of 2,057
Recent addition for my Pandora Hope VI - ALO Audio Quad Ribbon cable for FAD Headphones with AK240 balanced 2.5mm TRRS:

so how do they sound balanced ???? Trying to decide between zx2 or 901s and the balanced verdict will be the deciding factor on player choice. As of right now I am stuck with a note 4 or S:flo2 and thanks for all recommendations.

Jun 3, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #1,079 of 2,057
the earpads on mine delaminated... not the quality I was expecting given the price and I barely had them for 3 months! I know someone else else had that problem in the earlier pages as well. I guess either one of the options discussed here... sigh. 

Jun 3, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #1,080 of 2,057
  the earpads on mine delaminated... not the quality I was expecting given the price and I barely had them for 3 months! I know someone else else had that problem in the earlier pages as well. I guess either one of the options discussed here... sigh. 

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ath-m50x-velour-earpads?mode=guest_open&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=6-3-15%20Ath%20M50&utm_campaign=Transactional%3A%20Ending%20Soon%20ATH-M50x%20Velour%20Earpads%2006-03

a few hours left...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back