Review: ZMF Modified Fostex T50RP. Superb!
Aug 5, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #91 of 812
So is anyone able to offer us a comparison with the other T50RP mods? Paradox and Mad Dogs would be nice. And of course HE-500.

Surely someone will deliver!

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #92 of 812
Quote:
So is anyone able to offer us a comparison with the other T50RP mods? Paradox and Mad Dogs would be nice. And of course HE-500.

Surely someone will deliver!

I own the HE-500 and owned the Mad Dogs Ver2(dog pads).

I just picked up the ver2 of the ZMF and like them a ton, gorgeous midrange, nice bass(when called for) and very clear subtle treble response. They do not have the air of the HE-500, but a more natural tone and smoother, more realistic mids.  Honestly, I like them more at medium/low volume then the HE-500.

I am just going by memory of the Mad Dogs, but they had a bit more air and sound stage then the ZMF , but I do have the ver.2  and it is more closed I suspect then the ver.1. A fair trade-off for the added bass response.  The tone is similar with the ZMF having a bit more meaty midrange.

The ZMF's are fantastic for the price. They do take some power to get going though, did not like them much from the Magni or the O2, but they sound fantastic out of the LYR and the SA-31.

I am using the Alpha pads on these BTW.

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #93 of 812
Quote:

I just picked up the ver2 of the ZMF and like them a ton, gorgeous midrange, nice bass(when called for) and very clear subtle treble response. They do not have the air of the HE-500, but a more natural tone and smoother, more realistic mids.  Honestly, I like them more at medium/low volume then the HE-500.

I am just going by memory of the Mad Dogs, but they had a bit more air and sound stage then the ZMF , but I do have the ver.2  and it is more closed I suspect then the ver.1. A fair trade-off for the added bass response.  The tone is similar with the ZMF having a bit more meaty midrange.

The ZMF's are fantastic for the price. They do take some power to get going though, did not like them much from the Magni or the O2, but they sound fantastic out of the LYR and the SA-31.

I'm noticing similar impressions regarding the HE500 and V2 and V1 vs V2. There's just something about the upper mids of both the V1 and (from my memory) the HE500 that just makes the sound kind of flamboyant but echoey at the same time. It sounds really nice if you don't notice it (I really like folk music with the V1), but my other headphones make the V1's emphasis pretty obvious.

I'm loving the synergy with the SA-31, but thanks for using them with the O2! I was closer to rebuying one thinking I should get a bright amp to balance out the darkness of the V2.

Aug 5, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #94 of 812
Quote:

Finally and thank you!

So you would say stronger midrange and bass then the he-500 and mad dog?

I wonder if getting the bassy version with the new gold-rejack would be the way to go.

I want the white ones gloss, with the re jack and version 2 this time. But I think I will miss the sale..Perfect example of time being money.

SHucKs.

Aug 5, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #95 of 812
Thanks Fearless! Very informative indeed, seems these are the best value for money T50's out there.

Quote:

What about[size=large] [/size]NFB-11.32? It puts out exactly half the wattage as the Lyr, but plenty more than the O2 and a bit more than the Magni, how do you think it will handle them?

I want the white ones gloss, with the re jack and version 2 this time. But I think I will miss the sale..Perfect example of time being money.

Did you just say... sale?

Okay, why don't I just take the plunge and get the standard with gold socket and pilot pad, including shipping for only $250, and then the Audio-gd NFB 11.32 for $300, for a grand total of $550 and finally be done with all this business! Someone convince me otherwise!

I have only one day to decide 
confused_face.gif
 But seriously now, aren't 550 clams a pretty good deal for the value of this combo?

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #97 of 812
Zach posted the materials he uses (minus a few newer ones I'm assuming) here:

But do take note that it will probably take a really long time to get a mod scheme you'd be satisfied with since stock sound is pretty rough. It'll probably cost more in the long run. Actually, if you get thicker pads like the HM5 or Alpha Pads, the loose clamp should be remedied.

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #98 of 812
The clamping pressure can be adjusted by curling/bending the metal inside the headband. You can make them anywhere from super tight to very loose, and a big part of pad swapping is adjusting the clamping force to suit the pads. When I put my Alpha pads on I had to tighten up the clamp for the sake of both comfort/stability and sound quality. 
Quote:
can we buy the parts and mod it ourself. the t50rp is too loose for me not enough clamping =(

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #99 of 812
Quote:
Thanks Fearless! Very informative indeed, seems these are the best value for money T50's out there.

What about[size=large] [/size]NFB-11.32? It puts out exactly half the wattage as the Lyr, but plenty more than the O2 and a bit more than the Magni, how do you think it will handle them?

Okay, why don't I just take the plunge and get the standard with gold socket and pilot pad, including shipping for only $250, and then the Audio-gd NFB 11.32 for $300, for a grand total of $550 and finally be done with all this business! Someone convince me otherwise!

confused_face.gif
 But seriously now, aren't 550 clams a pretty good deal for the value of this combo?

If you want a budget set up that might even best the lyr have a look at the emotiva mini a-100 amp. it cost $189. Then you can buy an interconnect 1/4inch plug terminated in banana plugs (btg-audio) $45 or so and two rca cables $25 to connect to your DAC because it only takes Analog signal.

This will power any headphone you can throw at it and do it very well. It can power the he-6 very well too.

That is what I used for my hd650 and the ZMF.
There is a thread about it here.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/629352/he-500-lcd2-d5000-dt770-sr80-on-a-speaker-amp-emotiva-mini-x-a-100-project

The person that recommended me the emotiva used to have the NFB and prefers it a lot more.

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #100 of 812

confused_face.gif

Yes I said sale the sale is gonna end soon.

What i said will be just as good sounding as the lyr even with good tubes and save you some $$ plus upgraditis money in the long run.
make sure the interconnect is 8 strand atleast though because the banana plugs splitting off would make the wires too thin.

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #101 of 812
Quote:
can we buy the parts and mod it ourself. the t50rp is too loose for me not enough clamping =(

Ofcourse, there is a mayflower modding kit on ebay. Plus bigger pads might help as well. 

But if time is money, and zach has spent a lot of time... as so have many others then I would recommend buying them.

hey i just said that twice "time is money"

It takes a lot of trial an error to get the correct sound and some modds you do the headphone are permanent and some are not. So you can remod a t50 over and over to an extent but certain things like too much bass etc may never be able to be fixed.

Look up blue monkey flyer modded fostex and there is a whole tutorial on how to mod them yourself.

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #102 of 812
Still want the white ones...

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #103 of 812
Quote:
Still want the white ones...

...what's stopping you? The're $100 cheaper than the Mad Dogs and they're a step up from the ESW9!

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #104 of 812
My wallet is hiding..
It only shows up on payday..

Aug 6, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #105 of 812
Quote:

confused_face.gif

Jump now, take the plunge. The NFB-11.32, has plenty of power for the ZMF, and will sound great. The integrated DAC, is as good as any out there. I am listening to my NFB-12, ( same amp as NFB-11.32), with ZMF V2, and they sound fantastic together. Gold socket, the only way to go as you can swap cables to meet your preferences. satwilson

Users who are viewing this thread

Back