Review: ZMF Modified Fostex T50RP. Superb!
Jul 28, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #61 of 812
Quote:
I am looking more for a portable amp when out and about to piggyback on to my Sony Xperia (Walkman) phone...

Check out this thread
I am using my Xperia TL as source. That thread details the process to output USB audio digital to an outboard DAC/AMP, from your Android phone. The FiiO E17 is one unit that works and some forum members use it to power their T50RPs Hope this helps, satwilson

Jul 28, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #62 of 812
Anyone looking for a desktop set-up for any kind of headphone off a full size computer I'd say one of the best deals would be just buying a Sound-Card and installing it.  Much cheaper and as good sounding as many table-top DAC's.

Both ASUS and OMEGA make great cards. 

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jul 28, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #63 of 812
Quote:
Anyone looking for a desktop set-up for any kind of headphone off a full size computer I'd say one of the best deals would be just buying a Sound-Card and installing it.  Much cheaper and as good sounding as many table-top DAC's.

Both ASUS and OMEGA make great cards. 

Agree, and I like to add the ESI Juli@ sound card as a very good one.
Another great sound card is the M-Audio Audiophile 2496.

Jul 28, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #64 of 812
Thanks satwilson for your input.

Somehow the Bottlehead Crack has caught my eye recently as a truly excellent amp. Do you have any experience with this amp? Could you make a comparison with the Audiogd's, in particular the 11.32 and the 15.32?

@ Ishcabible,
I think we have very different opinions regarding what constitutes 'end game' sound 
normal_smile .gif
 I currently listen to HD555's from my relatively good Realtek laptop card, and this gives me a very enjoyable listening experience. I forget about the equipment and just enjoy the music. But I have spent some time with HD600 HD650 HD800 T1 K701 so I know what I'm missing out on. To my ears the HD800 sounds perfect and if money were not an issue I would buy those yesterday. Yet I could happily live out my days with a 650 and a 'good enough' amp and simply enjoy listening to music. That is 'end game' to me. My favourite characteristics in sound are tight bass and sparkly highs. I'm not a lush mids kind of guy and U shape my EQ. This is what draws me to these cans, that and the price point 
wink_face.gif

@ zach915m,
It's nice to have you in the thread. Do you have any experience with the Bottlehead and the Audiogd's?

Could anyone (besides zach915m 
tongue_smile.gif
) compare these with the HE-500's?

Jul 29, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #65 of 812
Quote:
My favourite characteristics in sound are tight bass and sparkly highs. I'm not a lush mids kind of guy and U shape my EQ. This is what draws me to these cans, that and the price point 
wink_face.gif

These ZMF's are all about lush mids, and not so much sparkly highs.
I hope you won't be disappointed.

Jul 29, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #66 of 812
Yeah, the main reason I'm so infatuated with these is that they're everything the SA5000 isn't.

Jul 29, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #67 of 812
Quote:
I have an Audio GD NFB-12 DAC/AMP powering mine. The Wolfson dual WM8741 DAC's and classA amp section together provide a warm, lush, sound with lots of tight controlled bass. This unit is no longer available, but has been upgraded to the NFB-15.32, same DACS/amp. It has many input/output options and also allows the user to choose the frequency and bit rate of the DAC. Price is $235 plus shipping. The other option if you prefer a Sabre ES 9018 DAC, is the NFB-11.32. Same warm classA amp, lots pf flexibility. Price $299 plus shipping. Many people believe these are two of the best chips available for DACs. The build quality of these units is outstanding, and for the price, nothing comes close in my opinion. Audio GD is a HeadFi sponser, and reviews of his products are here on the forum. The link to Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs as mentioned above is a great resource for you, and the Audio GD products are mentioned there also. The FiiO products mentioned are a good choice if you need portability, however don't come anywhere close to the sound quality of the AGD products in a desktop setup. satwilson

11.32 and 15.32 are only Class A if you are running very sensitive headphones (with low power req) off them, otherwise they run in AB Class.

Jul 29, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #68 of 812
@ Modulus, I have no experience with the Bottlehead Crack. Out of curiosity I went to their website and was very impressed by the user testimonials. One of the post's mentioned the various amps he owns including a couple of Audio GD products and he preferred the Crack. The numerous glowing reviews and DIY angle appeals to me. Might be my next amp! In the meantime I really like my NFB-12 and of course the AGD products are DAC/AMP combo's and may save you some money. One of the things I have come to understand from reading various threads and post's on the forum, trying to make my own buying decisions, is most peoples preferences for one piece of gear or another is a subjective evaluation based on their own likes/dislikes, budget, etc. Short of having the patience and ability to attend a HeadFi meet to audition various gear, I believe your decision one way or the other will meet your expectation of " End game for me, based on budget". However, as in all things HeadFi, "End game", has a temporal quality based on budget. LOL satwilson (did I repeat myself?)

Jul 29, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #69 of 812
Quote:

These ZMF's are all about lush mids, and not so much sparkly highs.
I hope you won't be disappointed.

Damn... well there goes that 
tongue_smile.gif

I kid, it's not necessarily a dealbreaker for me. For some reason I've always associated 'lush mids' with inferior sound. I've listened to the Sennheiser range quite a bit and as the range progresses in quality (and expense) the mids follow suit by receding in the mix toward what I perceive as a flat response. 

When I say I like a U curve, I think what I actually like is a flat curve. My 555's have what I would describe as a similar 'lushness' in the mids that I call to order with EQ, though I wouldn't call this signature lush, I would say the mids are bunched up and muddy. When I U curve the mids away the bass and highs are given space to express themselves more correctly. I've sat and AB'd my 555's with 598's, 600's, 650's and 800's. The 555's are the worst of the lot, in terms of this bunched, messy sound in the middle, the 598's sounded very similar, I was not impressed by them in comparison to my 555's, the 600's fare much better, the 650's even more so, but I still heard a tremendous bunching in them, I just knew that to my ears they were not reference flat. Then I put on the 800's and I eargasmed. They were perfect. The bunching was all gone, or should I say the 'lush mids' were gone. This leads me to conclude that 'lush mids' are actually a description of an n curve, or bell curve, and that a lot of sub-perfect drivers display this 'weakness'. Either that or my ears simply tuned to hear this way. Which is highly possible since I believe we all hear things differently, hence no one can agree on anything here.

That being said, I believe quality drivers respond well to EQ, as they are technically capable of reproducing sound well, their tuning just happens to emphasize certain parts over others, and not that they necessarily need to emphasize those particular parts. When I listen to 650's I EQ them and they sound terrific. I believe I would do so with t50rp's and they would probably sound terrific too.

@ Satwilson, I agree. We all have different preferences. I have a preference for an all in one unit with DAC and amp. I went to a shop and laid my card on the table to buy the Audinst HUD MX2 after I did my research and had sat there for 3 hours auditioning it. The guy went behind the counter for five minutes then returned and told me they were out of stock 
redface.gif
. I suppose it was for the best since now I think an AudioGD unit, at about the same price, is the superior option. But I also think a Bottlehead Crack with ODAC will also sound terrific 
beyersmile.png
 and certainly be end game enough for me, at least for the next few years.

May the comparisons and dac/amp suggestions please continue in here.

PS. A comparison with the $299 Mad Dogs would certainly be nice 
wink_face.gif

Jul 29, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #70 of 812
I'd definitely do more research on the Crack before committing to it. Something tells me that the T50RP's low impedance (50ohms) won't match well with the 120ohm output impedence of the Crack. 

Jul 29, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #71 of 812
Guys,

I own a pair of Yamaha HP1 headphones in almost new condition (original owner only used them about half a dozen times, and I've only had them out of the box about the same amount of times).

Is it worth me spending $180 on a ZMF modified phones, or should I just stick with the Yammies for now, even though probably the performance might not be as good as the ZMF model?

My other phones are Sennheiser 25-1 II model and I'm somewhat new to this game, but am aware of zero cost, as opposed to $180, plus shipping and taxes to U.K.
Might it be better for me to spend that money on a good portable amp???

Jul 29, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #73 of 812
Quote:
@ zach915m,
It's nice to have you in the thread. Do you have any experience with the Bottlehead and the Audiogd's?

Have not heard either but once upon a time before I got my LYR I was THIS close to buying one.  I still want one
beyersmile.png

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jul 29, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #74 of 812
My modded HP3 sounds mightily similar to the ZMF actually. They both have pretty warm mids.

Jul 29, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #75 of 812
Quote:
Guys,

I own a pair of Yamaha HP1 headphones in almost new condition (original owner only used them about half a dozen times, and I've only had them out of the box about the same amount of times).

Is it worth me spending $180 on a ZMF modified phones, or should I just stick with the Yammies for now, even though probably the performance might not be as good as the ZMF model?

My other phones are Sennheiser 25-1 II model and I'm somewhat new to this game, but am aware of zero cost, as opposed to $180, plus shipping and taxes to U.K.
Might it be better for me to spend that money on a good portable amp???

The ZMF needs a powerful amp. So if you haven't an amp already, I think you better invest in one and buy the ZMF later.

In the Mad Dog thread, Headfi-er Greed mentioned these:
Leckerton UHA6SMKII
Headstage Arrow 4G/4T
JDS C5
Pico Slim (Used)
FiiO E12
ALO Audio Rx MK II (3 if you can find it in your budget)
Tralucent T1 (On the large side)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back