Review: ZMF Modified Fostex T50RP. Superb!
Aug 8, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #121 of 812
Quote:

It's a bit bigger (well it's heavier) than I'd have imagined it to be. I'm almost regretting getting it because lugging it to and from Boston every semester will be expensive since it takes up so much luggage space. I almost wish I got a Lyr. Almost. I'm LOVING the dual inputs (mine has dual 6.3mm inputs instead of the random balanced input). If you have the space, definitely sell the Lyr and get it. Though it kind of pisses me off that not even 6 months later Kingwa has a new version with a better volume control.

Do you use  the warm jumpers? I think I may like it better with none.

I do love the LYR with the right tubes, but that journey was very, very expensive. With the SA-31 it is good right out of the box.

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #122 of 812
Would I be able to afford an SA-31 if I sold my LYR and some tubes...I have no idea what they cost....no need to name the price just give me a ballpark idea....?

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 8, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #123 of 812
Quote:
Would I be able to afford an SA-31 if I sold my LYR and some tubes...I have no idea what they cost....no need to name the price just give me a ballpark idea....?

Just north of $500.

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #124 of 812
Probably a deal for what it does....

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 8, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #125 of 812
Quote:
Maybe the V2 is the one for me, then. I wouldn't mind having a headphone comparable in class to the K550s that has a bit more bass for listening to EDM.

Is the soundstage as larger/larger than the K550s? Bigger would be a plus
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't heard a K550 that I liked (they all had the older, non-sealy pads though) so I never really listened long enough to notice the size of their soundstage other than that it was larger than most other closed headphones I've heard. I'd say it's smaller though to be on the safe side. It's much smaller than my old K702's was, and about the same size as my SA5000, which doesn't have that big of a soundstage.

Quote:
Do you use  the warm jumpers? I think I may like it better with none.

I do love the LYR with the right tubes, but that journey was very, very expensive. With the SA-31 it is good right out of the box.

I don't; I thought it warmed up the sound too much. Warm 2 sounds nice with the SA5000, but way too syrupy with the ZMF. 
Quote:

The website says $525, but there's apparently a "promo" price. But shipping via EMS costs $72.50. There's currently one for $430 on the classifieds, but it's $50 more than I paid for mine.

Aug 8, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #126 of 812
Though I started this thread, I've not visited ZMF's site for a while.  Just peeked in and have to say a 'Wow' on the improvements.  These units now really do look commercially mature and I'd venture, probably as good or better than other modded T50RPs in the market.   That white one with the logo and the upgraded socket REALLY does look stunning to me. 

With the latest improvements, I'd have to say that the $175 sale is a steal for headphones.  I'm not sure if I can think of any other headphones under $200 that would give the value.  I'm listening to my original pair and am struck again by the equality.  It is sonically different but I would put it on par with my HD650 in terms of quality of tone.

UL

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #127 of 812
I can't wait to receive mine. @ULUL how do you feel about the comfort comparing the pilot pad with leather strap considering you've lived with them for some time?

Aesthetically I somewhat prefer the minimal look of the strap but the pad looks oh so comfortable. I plan on putting a sennheiser pad on the leather strap if it is not to my liking to maintain the aesthetic. Not sure if others have tried this but it seems like a good idea to me.

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #128 of 812
I have a bump on the top of my head and because of that, I prefer the leather strap that conform's to one's head shape.  It is just slimmer, more conforming, and more comfortable for me.

ULUL
Quote:
I can't wait to receive mine. @ULUL how do you feel about the comfort comparing the pilot pad with leather strap considering you've lived with them for some time?

Aesthetically I somewhat prefer the minimal look of the strap but the pad looks oh so comfortable. I plan on putting a sennheiser pad on the leather strap if it is not to my liking to maintain the aesthetic. Not sure if others have tried this but it seems like a good idea to me.

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #129 of 812
You mentioned in the OP that you have a peak in your upper regions. To what extent does this affect the performance of the pilot pads? Have you by any chance taken measurements, or a topological response chart? This may help to objectively determine how to equalize with padding to reduce that spike most effectively.

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #130 of 812
I got so annoyed by the Alpha pads, that I switched back to the Dog pads the ZMF came with. Using pad lifters for a better fit.
Comfort and sound are now more to my likings.

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #132 of 812
Quote:
I got so annoyed by the Alpha pads, that I switched back to the Dog pads the ZMF came with. Using pad lifters for a better fit.
Comfort and sound are now more to my likings.

what was the annoyance? I was going to order them without pads because I have the alpha ones. Because I am aesthetically picky I didnt want the hm5's.

My best bet would be to pay for the dog pads they used to come with if he has em in stock and then roll pads.

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #133 of 812
Quote:
You mentioned in the OP that you have a peak in your upper regions. To what extent does this affect the performance of the pilot pads? Have you by any chance taken measurements, or a topological response chart? This may help to objectively determine how to equalize with padding to reduce that spike most effectively.

pilot pad shouldnt affect the sound at all. Its just a headband cushion.

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #134 of 812
Quote:
what was the annoyance? I was going to order them without pads because I have the alpha ones. Because I am aesthetically picky I didnt want the hm5's.

My best bet would be to pay for the dog pads they used to come with if he has em in stock and then roll pads.

As I wrote in the Mad Dog thread: my ears are too big for the small opening of the Alpha pads.
Sure, those pads are deep, no problem there, but they are not wide enough for my jumbo ears. The ears are cramped in a lot of leather, while another large portion of leather is resting against my head. 
I was listening less and less to the ZMF because I hated the feel of the Alpha pads. Not that the Dog pads are the best, it's still leather, but they are wider and more stable.
Also I had a imbalance problem with the Alpha pads (right side slighlty louder), not with the Dog pads. I have really no idea how to explain this.

BTW: I prefer velours ear pads to leather, let alone pleather.

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #135 of 812
Quote:
Working on a carbon fiber look to mine (same stuff as ghost armor for phones). It is a bit hard to work with but it looks decent so far:

I really like the look of carbon fiber, nice job. Will nicely match the hood on my car!! How long did it take you cut and fit it? I assume headband rods had to be removed? satwilson

Users who are viewing this thread

Back