Review: ZMF Modified Fostex T50RP. Superb!
Aug 6, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #107 of 812
Thanks for the suggestion grizzlybeast, the Emotiva is a very intriguing option.

But I have a few gripes with that setup, I haven't read through the whole thread because it's quite long, but Mal mentions that if he had to, he would rate the Emotiva's performance at about 25% superior to the NFB. He was using an older version of the unit, and I'm sure the amp section has been improved since. Perhaps the new versions close this gap a little to the region of 15%.

My problems with the Emotiva are, firstly, the price. It is now listed as $215, including shipping that would be near $250, then you still need to find a DAC to match it with, which is going to cost you upwards of a $100. With the cables the cost of the setup goes to $400 and depending on the DAC up to $500. That's a bit more than the $300 for the NFB.

My other problem is flexibility. With the emotiva you are restricted to driving power hungry cans, I couldn't use my IEMs or more run of the mill dynamics.

And lastly portability. I basically live abroad and travel and need my life to weigh less than an airliners luggage allowance.

Sounds like I've quite talked myself out of the Emotiva 
biggrin.gif
 I also feel the NFB will resell easily if upgraditus gets to me.

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #108 of 812
@satwilson

What do you think about choosing between the NFB 15 and the 11? Have you had a chance to compare them with the ZMF?

Aug 6, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #109 of 812
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion grizzlybeast, the Emotiva is a very intriguing option.

But I have a few gripes with that setup, I haven't read through the whole thread because it's quite long, but Mal mentions that if he had to, he would rate the Emotiva's performance at about 25% superior to the NFB. He was using an older version of the unit, and I'm sure the amp section has been improved since. Perhaps the new versions close this gap a little to the region of 15%.

My problems with the Emotiva are, firstly, the price. It is now listed as $215, including shipping that would be near $250, then you still need to find a DAC to match it with, which is going to cost you upwards of a $100. With the cables the cost of the setup goes to $400 and depending on the DAC up to $500. That's a bit more than the $300 for the NFB.

My other problem is flexibility. With the emotiva you are restricted to driving power hungry cans, I couldn't use my IEMs or more run of the mill dynamics.

And lastly portability. I basically live abroad and travel and need my life to weigh less than an airliners luggage allowance.

Sounds like I've quite talked myself out of the Emotiva 
biggrin.gif
 I also feel the NFB will resell easily if upgraditus gets to me.

True indeed def not portable. Pretty good reasons not to get it. I would agree with you except that you can monitor volume levels and use it with dynamics as well.

Atleast you know an option when you want to get a power hungry hp and dont want to pay a fortune.

cheers

Aug 7, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #110 of 812
@satwilson
Both Fearless and Ishcabibble think the AGD SA-31 is one of the best SS amps for these phones, SA-31, $525. This amp produces 10,000mw, more than 3x the T50RP's can handle. Would love to have one. Anyway, either the WM8741 CHIP, or the Sabre 9018 chip is a great choice, nothing better, I continue to say this, NO ONE HAS CONTESTED THIS!!, Bring it on!! Old NOS don't care, not a topic for this thread. Anyway, either NFB has plenty of power for the ZMF. For me, this is a no brainer, tube guys jump in, out of budget, our DAC is better....budget? JUMP!
What do you think about choosing between the NFB 15 and the 11? Have you had a chance to compare them with the ZMF?

Aug 7, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #111 of 812
I haven't heard any SS amps other than the SA-31 with the ZMF, so I can't really say if it's "one of the best" because there could very well be better. But my Minimax matches pretty poorly with the ZMF because it's a bit brighter. I absolutely love my Harman Kardon HK430 with it too, and I bought that for $50 on eBay. I'd honestly go with that if you can find one in good condition.

Aug 7, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #112 of 812
I haven't heard any SS amps other than the SA-31 with the ZMF, so I can't really say if it's "one of the best" because there could very well be better. But my Minimax matches pretty poorly with the ZMF because it's a bit brighter. I absolutely love my Harman Kardon HK430 with it too, and I bought that for $50 on eBay. I'd honestly go with that if you can find one in good condition.
Sorry, didn't mean to imply something you said, just remarking on your comments to Fearless regarding SA-31 and ZMF. Obviously I am an AGD fanboy, wish I could afford an SA-31, but for now the NFB amp/dac models sound great with my ZMF. Here is another opinion regarding the NFB-12 http://www.head-fi.org/t/558067/what-would-be-the-better-source-upgrade-for-me-cavalli-cth-or-audio-gd-nfb-12 , read the post by LiqTenExp.

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #113 of 812
I haven't heard any SS amps other than the SA-31 with the ZMF, so I can't really say if it's "one of the best" because there could very well be better.

Wow...just checked out the SA-31...looks AMAZING! All those inputs and then a balanced xlr out too....guh...I don't think my wife to be would be very happy if it showed up though.:rolleyes:

Could always sell my lyr...

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 8, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #114 of 812
The trigger has been pulled 
dt880smile.png

Can't wait to hear them Zach!

Aug 8, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #117 of 812
Any cable recommendations? V-moda? Satwilson I saw you had a thing or two to say about cables in another thread, I think in regards to T50's. Should I get something custom made? I don't want to spend more than $30. Perhaps $31 at most.

Aug 8, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #118 of 812
Maybe someone can help push me over the edge and pull the trigger :)

My goto headphones are K550, SR225i, and DT1350. Anyone familiar enough with those headphones to give me an idea of how the ZMF V1 or V2 would sound in comparison. I'm drawn to clarity and resolution, and I would love it if either of these were a step up. Also wondering how the bass compares.

I have an ODAC, a Little Dot I+, and an O2. So I think I could drive them fine.

Aug 8, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #119 of 812
Quote:
Wow...just checked out the SA-31...looks AMAZING! All those inputs and then a balanced xlr out too....guh...I don't think my wife to be would be very happy if it showed up though.
rolleyes.gif

Could always sell my lyr...

It's a bit bigger (well it's heavier) than I'd have imagined it to be. I'm almost regretting getting it because lugging it to and from Boston every semester will be expensive since it takes up so much luggage space. I almost wish I got a Lyr. Almost. I'm LOVING the dual inputs (mine has dual 6.3mm inputs instead of the random balanced input). If you have the space, definitely sell the Lyr and get it. Though it kind of pisses me off that not even 6 months later Kingwa has a new version with a better volume control.

Quote:
Maybe someone can help push me over the edge and pull the trigger
smily_headphones1.gif

My goto headphones are K550, SR225i, and DT1350. Anyone familiar enough with those headphones to give me an idea of how the ZMF V1 or V2 would sound in comparison. I'm drawn to clarity and resolution, and I would love it if either of these were a step up. Also wondering how the bass compares.

I have an ODAC, a Little Dot I+, and an O2. So I think I could drive them fine.

I'm familiar with the K550. The V1 has a similar upper mids peak, but not as severe, and it's considerably warmer. I'd say it's more of a side grade/ slight upgrade if anything. If you want variety, I'd definitely get a pair of these though. There's a good amount of clarity and detail is surprisingly close to my SA5000, but I wouldn't say it's a step up from the K550. The V2 has more bass, but oddly enough, better (to me) mids.

Aug 8, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #120 of 812
I'm familiar with the K550. The V1 has a similar upper mids peak, but not as severe, and it's considerably warmer. I'd say it's more of a side grade/ slight upgrade if anything. If you want variety, I'd definitely get a pair of these though. There's a good amount of clarity and detail is surprisingly close to my SA5000, but I wouldn't say it's a step up from the K550. The V2 has more bass, but oddly enough, better (to me) mids.

Maybe the V2 is the one for me, then. I wouldn't mind having a headphone comparable in class to the K550s that has a bit more bass for listening to EDM.

Is the soundstage as larger/larger than the K550s? Bigger would be a plus :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back