Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Dec 9, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #8,342 of 9,388
I guess it has been answered before, but how hard is the hdam mod to make (given that i have almost zero experience with soldering). I didn't purchase the zero already, i thought i would get it from this seller:ZERO 24/192 DAC DA CONVERTOR, HEAD AMP(Upgrade Version) - eBay (item 110292715594 end time Dec-23-08 09:32:06 PST)

for 178 dollars with shipping...am i better off purchasing a hdam modded version from lawrence? (btw the seller told me this version got the universal switch for 110 220 v)

Dec 9, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #8,343 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by jujulio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess it has been answered before, but how hard is the hdam mod to make (given that i have almost zero experience with soldering). I didn't purchase the zero already, i thought i would get it from this seller:ZERO 24/192 DAC DA CONVERTOR, HEAD AMP(Upgrade Version) - eBay (item 110292715594 end time Dec-23-08 09:32:06 PST)

for 178 dollars with shipping...am i better off purchasing a hdam modded version from lawrence? (btw the seller told me this version got the universal switch for 110 220 v)

Not hard at all, and no soldering required. You just remove one opamp and connect the HDAM, 5 min job.

Read: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/blogs/...amplifier.html

Dec 9, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #8,346 of 9,388
hi I been thinking about getting a zero dac but I have some questions. right now I use k701 and d2000 headphones with a headsix amp and source is ipod lod, and laptop all lossless audio files. will the zero dac make a big enough difference in sound quality with those headphones when hooked to an ipod lod as source.

Dec 10, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #8,348 of 9,388
I don't mean to keep touting this guy but WSZ0304 has taken good care of me and a lot of other guys here on the forum. His QC is very good and when something goes wrong he takes care of his customers. Even though he doesn't have to he is helping me with my blown mod operation. He's been very reliable so far.

Dec 10, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #8,349 of 9,388
After eyeing the Zero and posting here on numerous occasions I have decided to finally bite the bullet and buy the zero, however I've just got a few questions that still need to be answered.
My current Amp has a "pop" or power surge when turned on does the zero have similar issues?
Also currently my amp is way too loud even on low settings so I only output at around 50% from my computer however due to the zero being digital only the volume control from my computer won't effect the output of the zero in anyway? So my question is how sensitive is the volume control on the zero and is there anything that can be done to reduce the volume output of the zero besides upgrading the volume pot?

Dec 10, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #8,350 of 9,388
Hi guys, need some help troubleshooting a Zero I just bought from a fellow head-fier

Currently my setup is: PC --> USB to Optical converter --> Zero optical input
The Zero turns on fine, but I can't get any sound from the headphone output

When I turn it on, there's a click and it defaults to optical input
Optical converter seems to be working, the optical cable emits a red light when something's playing (though as powertoold pointed out, the cable could still be faulty?)
LED on the DAC board labeled R-LED3 in between the coax and optical jacks doesn't light up at all
The LED on the left side of the board, near the power jack is on all the time

Details of the ZERO: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/so...n-hdam-387511/

Any idea what could be the problem?
Or anything I could do to test (don't have any other source with optical/coax output though)

Thanks in advance!

Dec 10, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #8,351 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't mean to keep touting this guy but WSZ0304 has taken good care of me and a lot of other guys here on the forum. His QC is very good and when something goes wrong he takes care of his customers. Even though he doesn't have to he is helping me with my blown mod operation. He's been very reliable so far.

Hi,
Exactly, I bought my Yulong DAH1 from them and would have purchased my DV 337SE from them if they could have made the price. VERY good service, too bad they haven't got into the HDAM/ALPs mod market. The main thing is they don't run away from a problem. If I see a vendor write off somebody, that's it, "no soup for you"!

Dec 10, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #8,353 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiljim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys, need some help troubleshooting a Zero I just bought from a fellow head-fier

Optical converter seems to be working, the optical cable emits a red light when something's playing (though as powertoold pointed out, the cable could still be faulty?)
LED on the DAC board labeled R-LED3 doesn't light up at all

Or anything I could do to test (don't have any other source with optical/coax output though)

Thanks in advance!

Hello, would anyone please help us out
biggrin.gif

I am at a loss as to what could be wrong. I am fairly sure the R-LED3 on the DAC board should be on, regardless of signal:

Quote:

LED on the DAC board labeled R-LED3 doesn't light up at all

If it is supposed to be on regardless of signal from the optical, then I suspect something in the path was shorted out and damaged.

Would anyone confirm that the R-LED3 is always on?

Dec 10, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #8,354 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiljim /img/forum/go_quote.gif

LED on the DAC board labeled R-LED3 in between the coax and optical jacks doesn't light up at all
The LED on the left side of the board, near the power jack is on all the time

Thanks in advance!

Tough to say for sure but that LED is the "digital lock" meaning when the unit receives a data stream that it can process it will light up.

Can you outline your entire signal chain please (cabling, settings on the computer etc) from source to headphones.

You are not getting a signal lock...that could be any number of things...I'm willing to bet it's something simple that was overlooked rather than actual damage or malfunction of the Zero.

If you have another source that has COAX/Optical outs (like a DVD player) try that using both inputs types to establish functionality of the Zero without the USB to SPDIF adapter in the loop. Try different cables if you can.

The cable you are using, the settings in your source (if it's a computer) ....they need to be checked out one by one.

Give me your system setup info and we'll go from there.

Peete.

Dec 10, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #8,355 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello, would anyone please help us out
biggrin.gif

I am at a loss as to what could be wrong. I am fairly sure the R-LED3 on the DAC board should be on, regardless of signal:

If it is supposed to be on regardless of signal from the optical, then I suspect something in the path was shorted out and damaged.

Would anyone confirm that the R-LED3 is always on?

The R-LED3 between the coax and optical cable ONLY comes on with signal passing through, It does not stay ON otherwise.
(Just checked physically with my Zero)

oops, please overlook my post - you have the best help available in Peete !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back