Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Dec 11, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #8,371 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by decayed.cell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I back this statement. He sent me two SVDAC05's which were damaged in transit, so then sent me a Zero for free

Hey decayed.cell - read your thread - glad it worked out in the end. There are, of course, risks with ordering things from overseas, but it's great to hear when the seller makes it right. And not to jump on the pile but I too would love to hear your thoughts on the SVDAC vs. the Zero.
L3000.gif

Dec 11, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #8,372 of 9,388
Question.

I'm finally getting around to ordering the free samples from Linear Tech. I've selected the LT1364. When I get to the Order Samples screen, it gives me three options (2 x SO packages and 1 x PDIP package), and I want to make sure I'm ordering the right one.

LT1364CN8#PBF Dual 6mA 70MHz 1000V/uSec OA PDIP
LT1364CS8 Dual 6mA 70MHz 1000V/uSec OA SO
LT1364CS8#PBF Dual 6mA 70MHz 1000V/uSec OA SO

Looking at the schematics for SO and PDIP, I should be getting the PDIP right? That looks like the version that fits in a swappable opamp socket. The SO version looks like it needs to be soldered...

Dec 11, 2008 at 6:08 AM Post #8,373 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurotetsu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question.

I'm finally getting around to ordering the free samples from Linear Tech. I've selected the LT1364. When I get to the Order Samples screen, it gives me three options (2 x SO packages and 1 x PDIP package), and I want to make sure I'm ordering the right one.

LT1364CS8 Dual 6mA 70MHz 1000V/uSec OA SO
LT1364CS8#PBF Dual 6mA 70MHz 1000V/uSec OA SO

Looking at the schematics for SO and PDIP, I should be getting the PDIP right? That looks like the version that fits in a swappable opamp socket. The SO version looks like it needs to be soldered...

Correct!

Dec 11, 2008 at 9:25 AM Post #8,374 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiljim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using Foobar and manually selecting the USB device
Other than that it's pretty standard stuff, connected via USB cable to the converter, connected to the Zero via optical cable (USB cable was the one given with the converter, optical cable given with the Zero)
Plugged in my Denon D2000 directly to the headphone out on the Zero

When i play something on Foobar, the cable does emit a red light, if that helps rule anything out

I'll have to check if the cd player here has an optical out, unfortunately I don't have much stuff to test with (living in a dorm, agrh)

See what you can beg borrow or steal ( a source with COAX and or TOSlink out and both types of digital cable if possible) to help troubleshoot the issue your having. You won't be able to pinpoint the problem until you can test all the possibilities.

Peete.

Dec 11, 2008 at 10:34 AM Post #8,376 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by hdlovar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry if this has already been answered but how high of an impedance headphone can these things drive?

Would it be crazy to think that a pair of 580's could be properly driven from these?

Nope, not crazy at all hdlovar...many use HD600/650's ( I have 650's) with their Zeros. The HD580's are the same impedance (300 ohms) as the 6XX series.

Peete.

Dec 11, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #8,377 of 9,388
Quote:

Sorry if this has already been answered but how high of an impedance headphone can these things drive?

Would it be crazy to think that a pair of 580's could be properly driven from these?

If you are from Georgia (the country).. You could borrow my Zero to see if it can drive the 580s before you pull the trigger !!

Dec 11, 2008 at 12:46 PM Post #8,378 of 9,388
I did some of my HDAM testing using HD650s with no issues.

Dec 11, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #8,379 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, not crazy at all hdlovar...many use HD600/650's ( I have 650's) with their Zeros. The HD580's are the same impedance (300 ohms) as the 6XX series.

Peete.

It also drives my 600ohm Senns plenty loud
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #8,380 of 9,388
Quote:

Drives my HD650's well.

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #8,381 of 9,388
I think some have a misconception of what "Driving" means, imho.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's not about volume. You can make a 300ohm headphone be plenty loud (even make you deaf) with the crappiest of amps or sound cards, this does not mean it drives the headphone well.

Driving an headphone is more about control, performance, than it is about volume.

More to the point, the ZERO amp section is mediocre, does the job but it's not particularly good at it.

That said, the HD650 are not particularly difficult to drive, but they are one of the most scalable headphones I've heard, the better the amp the better it performs.

Dec 11, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #8,382 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaMnEd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

It's not about volume. You can make a 300ohm headphone be plenty loud (even make you deaf) with the crappiest of amps or sound cards, this does not mean it drives the headphone well.

Driving an headphone is more about control, performance, than it is about volume.

More to the point, the ZERO amp section is mediocre, does the job but it's not particularly good at it.

That said, the HD650 are not particularly difficult to drive, but they are one of the most scalable headphones I've heard, the better the amp the better it performs.

Keeping in mind what DaMnEd just said, I thought the Zero drove the 701s too, till I heard it later through the PH100s, its not really about the volume, but the dynamic of the music - somehow there was a feeling that the 701s were choking the Zero, at the same time I feel the PH100 effortlessly handles whatever needs the 701s throw at it..

Dec 11, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #8,383 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaMnEd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

DITTO what He ^^^^ said.

my Senn HD650's sound great on the line out on my SC, they sound even better from the Zero and Yulong Head Amps, they sound BETTER from the LD MK V. I'm waiting on a DV 337SE, I'm sure they'll really sound even better.

I had no issues with Volume on any of these.

Dec 11, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #8,384 of 9,388
Alright, just making sure before I took the plunge,

My plan is to get the zero and if I ever do feel a need to go for a better amp just switch it over to a dedicated DAC.

Thanks for the help guys
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #8,385 of 9,388
Quote:

Alright, just making sure before I took the plunge,

My plan is to get the zero and if I ever do feel a need to go for a better amp just switch it over to a dedicated DAC.

Thanks for the help guys
biggrin.gif

Heh, be careful! It sounded so good, I had to find out how much better a dedicated amp wold be. Then I had to know what a different DAC would do. Then how abut a little better AMP. Hmmm, wonder what another amp and DAC might do?

I say sell all your music, Ipods, Phones, everything...

You're about to get hooked Bro', and this is way worse than bein' Hooked on Phonics!

Just say NO!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back