Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Dec 10, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #8,356 of 9,388
Powertoold I notice you said in your for sale post you performed a mod on the Zero...what was it ?

Peete.

Dec 10, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #8,357 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tough to say for sure but that LED is the "digital lock" meaning when the unit receives a data stream that it can process it will light up.

Can you outline your entire signal chain please (cabling, settings on the computer etc) from source to headphones.

You are not getting a signal lock...that could be any number of things...I'm willing to bet it's something simple that was overlooked rather than actual damage or malfunction of the Zero.

If you have another source that has COAX/Optical outs (like a DVD player) try that using both inputs types to establish functionality of the Zero without the USB to SPDIF adapter in the loop. Try different cables if you can.

The cable you are using, the settings in your source (if it's a computer) ....they need to be checked out one by one.

Give me your system setup info and we'll go from there.

Peete.

Hey PP,

Thanks for your input. I also think there is something wrong with the signal. Unfortunately, kiljim does not have anything else that sends an optical signal or coaxial signal. Further, I thought it's possible that the optical cable is broken. Although kiljim noted that he sees a light at the end of the optical cable, it can still be broken since a distortion in the cable will still provide light, but the Zero will not sense the signal because the cable can't send proper information. Kiljim also does not have an extra optical cable to try out.

As for the audio chain, it would be Kiljim's computer -> USB to optical converter -> optical cable -> Zero. There are still a lot of variables that haven't been accounted for:

1) I don't think Kiljim has tried another computer
2) There's no coaxial source to try
3) There's no extra optical cable or source

At this point, it's difficult to isolate the faulty component without trying different components in the chain. I recommended that Kiljim use foobar, but I don't know if he's tried it. However, he does get optical light to come out of the converter, so that must mean the computer is trying to send music.

The only "mods" I did to my Zero were removing the tiny circular capacitors next to the RCA output and headphone outputs as explained in currawong's guide. I did this when I first received my Zero, and I was using my Zero up until the night I shipped it to Kiljim.

I think Kiljim can further explain the RLEDs. I'm not too sure which needs to be on.

Dec 10, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #8,358 of 9,388
I have the OPA267s in my Zero, I heard it dosn't sound good with tube amps. is that true?

Dec 10, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #8,359 of 9,388
I had a similiar problem when i first got my Zero. Being a pure Geek, I often only install drivers and not software that comes with the sound card. Everything appears like it should work, but nothing out of the Zero. The red light showing digital was not lighting up on the DAC board. Didn't know it at the time though. I installed the software from the Card manufacturer and everything worked immediately. Just my experience, YMMV. I had the most up to date drivers, but wasn't using the Software and the card wasn't putting anything out SPDIF.

Might want to uninstall and reinstall software.

Dec 10, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #8,360 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tough to say for sure but that LED is the "digital lock" meaning when the unit receives a data stream that it can process it will light up.

Can you outline your entire signal chain please (cabling, settings on the computer etc) from source to headphones.

You are not getting a signal lock...that could be any number of things...I'm willing to bet it's something simple that was overlooked rather than actual damage or malfunction of the Zero.

If you have another source that has COAX/Optical outs (like a DVD player) try that using both inputs types to establish functionality of the Zero without the USB to SPDIF adapter in the loop. Try different cables if you can.

The cable you are using, the settings in your source (if it's a computer) ....they need to be checked out one by one.

Give me your system setup info and we'll go from there.

Peete.

I'm using Foobar and manually selecting the USB device
Other than that it's pretty standard stuff, connected via USB cable to the converter, connected to the Zero via optical cable (USB cable was the one given with the converter, optical cable given with the Zero)
Plugged in my Denon D2000 directly to the headphone out on the Zero

When i play something on Foobar, the cable does emit a red light, if that helps rule anything out

I'll have to check if the cd player here has an optical out, unfortunately I don't have much stuff to test with (living in a dorm, agrh)

Dec 10, 2008 at 8:02 AM Post #8,361 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a similiar problem when i first got my Zero. Being a pure Geek, I often only install drivers and not software that comes with the sound card. Everything appears like it should work, but nothing out of the Zero. The red light showing digital was not lighting up on the DAC board. Didn't know it at the time though. I installed the software from the Card manufacturer and everything worked immediately. Just my experience, YMMV. I had the most up to date drivers, but wasn't using the Software and the card wasn't putting anything out SPDIF.

Might want to uninstall and reinstall software.

I'm using a USB converter, so it shouldn't pass through the sound card
No drivers to install either

Dec 10, 2008 at 9:05 AM Post #8,362 of 9,388
I am new to dacs. I would like to get a zero dac but I have another question first. The laptop I use does not have a spdif connection. I will need to use a usb to spdif converter. Theirs so many to choose from, which is currently the best under $50 that does not degrade sound quality? is the PCM2906 converter I see on ebay the one most used by people here, or is it the xitel one that comes with the zero? would it be better to forget the converter and get a creative express card sound blaster x-fi or creative usb sound blaster and hook the zero spdif to that.
Thanks for the help.

Dec 10, 2008 at 11:43 AM Post #8,363 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by aryastark90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am new to dacs. I would like to get a zero dac but I have another question first. The laptop I use does not have a spdif connection. I will need to use a usb to spdif converter. Theirs so many to choose from, which is currently the best under $50 that does not degrade sound quality? is the PCM2906 converter I see on ebay the one most used by people here, or is it the xitel one that comes with the zero? would it be better to forget the converter and get a creative express card sound blaster x-fi or creative usb sound blaster and hook the zero spdif to that.
Thanks for the help.

The Xitel that comes with it is pretty weak. I wouldn't recommend it.

Dec 10, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #8,365 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by nauxolo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the ZERO as an entry level DAC, how does it compare to the likes of other DACs that exist out there? I know that this ZERO offers a lot of bang for the buck, especially with the mods, but what exactly is a quality DAC?

I mean.. how difficult is it to convert digital to analog? What kind of permutations/deviations exist? and does the ZERO do a good job of this? There's so many pages here, so there must be something worthy about this little box right?

Check my sig. I preferred it to the Apogee Duet, which while $499, is both a DA and AD converter for audio recording and playback.

Quote:

Originally Posted by goorackerelite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the OPA267s in my Zero, I heard it dosn't sound good with tube amps. is that true?

Have you got a tube amp? Why not try it? If you use it with a tube amp and find it a little dull, try the cap-snip mod (see the guide linked in my signature) as that opens up the top end considerably.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aryastark90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the help.

At least one the eBay sellers offers a USB converter as part of the package, so you don't have to worry about it if you buy from them.

Dec 10, 2008 at 12:39 PM Post #8,366 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiljim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using a USB converter, so it shouldn't pass through the sound card
No drivers to install either

This might sound silly, but I didn't spot it right away.
When you turn the amp on, you select the optical on the front, and then select the headphone out on the front? I missed that when I first had the amp (used it as a DAC mainly) and I still think it pretty odd to have to select the headamp.

Dec 10, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #8,367 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This might sound silly, but I didn't spot it right away.
When you turn the amp on, you select the optical on the front, and then select the headphone out on the front? I missed that when I first had the amp (used it as a DAC mainly) and I still think it pretty odd to have to select the headamp.

Yupp, have tried with the Preamp button on and off
Tried pretty much any combination of the 3 buttons in front actually

Dec 10, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #8,368 of 9,388
OH MY GOD!!!

I have done the snipping cap mod and highs on music are now present more nitidely on my sennheiser hd600.

and, what is astonishing...

HISSS are vanished.

I don't know how this is possible, but i got hiss from 9 o clock on volume pot, and now there's only pure silence till 12 o'clock, and from this point hiss are much less loud than before.

EXCELLENT MOD FOR THIS HEADPHONES.

Thanks to you all guys again.

Dec 11, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #8,370 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't mean to keep touting this guy but WSZ0304 has taken good care of me and a lot of other guys here on the forum. His QC is very good and when something goes wrong he takes care of his customers. Even though he doesn't have to he is helping me with my blown mod operation. He's been very reliable so far.

I back this statement. He sent me two SVDAC05's which were damaged in transit, so then sent me a Zero for free

Users who are viewing this thread

Back