Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Dec 9, 2008 at 10:04 AM Post #8,326 of 9,388
Quote:

There are quite a few images scattered in this thread detailing this, as well as methods of electrical insualtion

I know but browing the 834 pages of this thread will take me some days
confused_face.gif

There is something strange on my LC HDAM, the 3 hdams have a white wire on them (like an antena). I don't see this on my HDAM
confused.gif

Wonder if this not a fake HDAM....

Dec 9, 2008 at 10:07 AM Post #8,327 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ads2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know but browing the 834 pages of this thread will take me some days
confused_face.gif

There is something strange on my LC HDAM, the 3 hdams have a white wire on them (like an antena). I don't see this on my HDAM
confused.gif

Wonder if this not a fake HDAM....

The HDAM LC sells is different, that much we know, its not a matter of being fake, just a somewhat different design (comparing to Audio-GD HDAMs) with no ground leg.

Dec 9, 2008 at 10:24 AM Post #8,330 of 9,388
Another stupid question :
How to burn a Zero / HDAM ?
I know that you have to use it for many hours.
But can I burn it without headphone plugged (for the headphone part) and without amplifier connected for the HDAM part ?
in this case I can let it "running", witout annoying my wife...

Dec 9, 2008 at 10:29 AM Post #8,331 of 9,388
Quote:

ok, so the white wire is a ground wire.
And it sounds similar ?
If one day I want to replace it with something better, wich one should I oder from Audio-GD ?
Obrigado Damned

Regarding the ground connection, I have done some testing on this, posted the results here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/zer...69/index8.html (Last post on the page and next page).

Basically connecting the ground leg clears the stereo crosstalk, these tests where done with Audio-GD HDAMs, but since your HDAM is different, it is possible that your version would not benefit from it, and so it does not have one (ground leg).

From past reviews LCs HDAM is pretty much equal sounding comparing to Audio-GDs Earth module.

If you want better, some say the new OPA-MOON is everything the Earth is and with better sound stage, I have not tested this personally, you can read a reviews here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/opa...highlight=moon

Sem problema
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 9, 2008 at 10:48 AM Post #8,332 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Curra,
I know you are one of the admirers of Moon HDAM, I received them today morning from kingwa, and the first thing I realized (very easily noticible)how easily I could crank up the volume against the opa627s, the whole thing sounds more musical than before and unlike 0pa627s its less fatiguing and more laid back, without losing the dynamics.. difficult to explain - I love it..
Btw, I also replaced the stock zero optical cables with some decent canare coax and upgraded the stock rca with CMC (all from from kingwa).
he is extremely good to deal with, infact he sent me the Moon with a 20cm earth lead so that I could easily ground it at the RCA earthing..
Well, Thank you for your recommendations on the MOON and Kingwa, I think I'll be getting the headphone amp from him too..
Btw, can you let me know, how long it takes for the MOON to burn in and sing to its full potential??..
Thanks again..

Glad to hear you like it. As for burn-in, when the Burson HDAM was suggested as a possible upgrade, it didn't have the two extra external caps on the outside. After some experimentation was done with them by Pricklely Pete based on the Burson HDAM page, Audio-gd (who by that time was supplying many of us with them) started making them with the extra caps. Penchum and PP reckoned that the caps don't settle down fully for 350 hours. I wouldn't worry about burn-in so much though, just enjoy listening. If you notice an improvement, then that's good. I found my C2C from Audio-gd almost suddenly improved one week recently, likely past the 300-hour mark, though I haven't been counting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by randomasdf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just curious, noob question, but how much do feet really alter the sound?

I wouldn't worry about it on a $99 DAC. I'd be asking that question if I'd just bought a $10k DAC.

Quote:

Hi thee :
I finally received my HDAM and ALPS Pot from LC yersterday . (I didn't received it with my zero (partially modded).
The OPA leed is badly soldered on some pins, will have to resolder it.

I wonder one thing.
There is multiple HDAM (moon, eath, etc..).
How can I know wich one it is, there is no inscription on it...
where can I find a picture showing where you fix the hdam in the zero case (not the pins connexion, but the HDAM itself to avoid it moving in the case...).
thanks

Earth, Sun and Moon (latest versions):

main.php

How I installed the Earth (old version btw) -- slightly jammed between one of the sockets and the case at the rear, with the ground wire soldered on to the RCA ground:

main.php

Dec 9, 2008 at 10:56 AM Post #8,334 of 9,388
Thanks Currawong for your reply and pictures.
LC HDAM is definitivelly different..and has no ground wire.
One thing, you have just put you hdam on a paper to isolate it from the main PCB. Aren't you afraid that if you move you zero, the HDAM may be in contact with the main PCB due to the fact that you hav't fixed it ?

Dec 9, 2008 at 12:37 PM Post #8,335 of 9,388
Quote:

Thanks Currawong for your reply and pictures.
LC HDAM is definitivelly different..and has no ground wire.
One thing, you have just put you hdam on a paper to isolate it from the main PCB. Aren't you afraid that if you move you zero, the HDAM may be in contact with the main PCB due to the fact that you hav't fixed it ?

In that picture, it's slightly jammed between the casing and a socket. I used to have it sit between the DAC and HP amp boards. With the ground wire attached to something, the HDAM doesn't have far to move with the top casing on. I had no trouble turning the Zero on its side to remove screws. Someone else though put electrical tape around their HDAM to avoid any problems.

Dec 9, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #8,337 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad to hear you like it. As for burn-in, when the Burson HDAM was suggested as a possible upgrade, it didn't have the two extra external caps on the outside. After some experimentation was done with them by Pricklely Pete based on the Burson HDAM page, Audio-gd (who by that time was supplying many of us with them) started making them with the extra caps. Penchum and PP reckoned that the caps don't settle down fully for 350 hours. I wouldn't worry about burn-in so much though, just enjoy listening. If you notice an improvement, then that's good. I found my C2C from Audio-gd almost suddenly improved one week recently, likely past the 300-hour mark, though I haven't been counting.

How I installed the Earth (old version btw) -- slightly jammed between one of the sockets and the case at the rear, with the ground wire soldered on to the RCA ground:

main.php

Yeah, thats what Kingwa wrote back and said too, kind of stages post 24 - post 100 and ultimately 300hrs the Moon would full bloom..

Actually, if one requests, like I did, he sent me the Moon with a 20cm earth wire, which makes it easier to earth on the RCA ground..

Thanks again.

attachment.php

Dec 9, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #8,338 of 9,388
Dec 9, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #8,339 of 9,388
Quote:

Hi thee :
I finally received my HDAM and ALPS Pot from LC yersterday . (I didn't received it with my zero (partially modded).
The OPA leed is badly soldered on some pins, will have to resolder it.

I wonder one thing.
There is multiple HDAM (moon, eath, etc..).
How can I know wich one it is, there is no inscription on it...
where can I find a picture showing where you fix the hdam in the zero case (not the pins connexion, but the HDAM itself to avoid it moving in the case...).
thanks

Hi,
This is how LC fastens the HDAM. He uses Double sided, padded tape.

http://www.turbonet.biz/misc/Zero/HDSM.JPG

Dec 9, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #8,340 of 9,388
Quote:

Another stupid question :
How to burn a Zero / HDAM ?
I know that you have to use it for many hours.
But can I burn it without headphone plugged (for the headphone part) and without amplifier connected for the HDAM part ?
in this case I can let it "running", witout annoying my wife...

Hi,
I use real music during the day when nobody is home. I use a really obnoxious base test CD I found in a torrent. Figured I would drain and refill those CAPs a lot! Then in the evening when everyone is home, I use Pink noise till the next day. The pink noise is not as bothersome. You get 168 hours burn-in in a week.

Here is a nice free app for Burn in that does white noise, pink noise, Frequency sweeps, etc. This is a good candidate for Penchum's 1st post in my humble opinion.

Burn-in wave files: white noise, pink noise, frequency sweep, channel mix

Les

Users who are viewing this thread

Back