Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Dec 8, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #8,312 of 9,388
Hi Curra,
I know you are one of the admirers of Moon HDAM, I received them today morning from kingwa, and the first thing I realized (very easily noticible)how easily I could crank up the volume against the opa627s, the whole thing sounds more musical than before and unlike 0pa627s its less fatiguing and more laid back, without losing the dynamics.. difficult to explain - I love it..
Btw, I also replaced the stock zero optical cables with some decent canare coax and upgraded the stock rca with CMC (all from from kingwa).
he is extremely good to deal with, infact he sent me the Moon with a 20cm earth lead so that I could easily ground it at the RCA earthing..
Well, Thank you for your recommendations on the MOON and Kingwa, I think I'll be getting the headphone amp from him too..
Btw, can you let me know, how long it takes for the MOON to burn in and sing to its full potential??..
Thanks again..

Dec 8, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #8,318 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by randomasdf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just curious, noob question, but how much do feet really alter the sound?

Depends on the feet of course.
See-- TipToes and Sorbothane

Dec 8, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #8,320 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by randomasdf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just curious, noob question, but how much do feet really alter the sound?

Look at the thread title. Somewhere between "Review:" and "24"...
wink.gif

~Phewl.

Dec 8, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #8,321 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look at the thread title. Somewhere between "Review:" and "24"...
wink.gif

~Phewl.

Well I've read somewhere on the internetz that vibrations can affect the clock (crystal?) in a dac which can cause unwanted noise. Special feet are mostly use with speakes (which causes lot's of vibrations) though I think.

Dec 9, 2008 at 8:48 AM Post #8,323 of 9,388
Hi thee :
I finally received my HDAM and ALPS Pot from LC yersterday . (I didn't received it with my zero (partially modded).
The OPA leed is badly soldered on some pins, will have to resolder it.

I wonder one thing.
There is multiple HDAM (moon, eath, etc..).
How can I know wich one it is, there is no inscription on it...
where can I find a picture showing where you fix the hdam in the zero case (not the pins connexion, but the HDAM itself to avoid it moving in the case...).
thanks

Dec 9, 2008 at 9:48 AM Post #8,324 of 9,388
^AFAIK, Lawrence only ships the Earth HDAM.

Most people tend to fit the HDAM to the space between the DAC PCB and the headphone amplifier PCB. There are quite a few images scattered in this thread detailing this, as well as methods of electrical insualtion
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Dec 9, 2008 at 9:52 AM Post #8,325 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I've read somewhere on the internetz that vibrations can affect the clock (crystal?) in a dac which can cause unwanted noise. Special feet are mostly use with speakes (which causes lot's of vibrations) though I think.

There are a billion and one things on the internet. Given the number of people who have had vibrating transformers in their Zero, with no adverse effect on actual sound quality, I think you'll be alright with the standard feet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Speakers tend to use spikes, so they can sink into the base of the carpet.

~Phewl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back